gas milage and manual transmissions

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I'd think earlier to keep RPM lower, but then on the other hand the engine has to work harder for similar acceleration because the torque band may not be as well utilized if you're upshifting earlier... I think... ?

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
You have to adjust your shift points based on your acceleration needs to maximize fuel efficiency.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Screw the gas mileage. Shift at 6000 RPM.

Seriously, depends on the cars torque range. Ususally shifting before it gets "on the cam" gives best mileae but poorest acceleration.

Just drive conservatively and you will get the best mileage.

On the highway - Just as it hits the torque ranre is usually the best.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
I tend to get much better mileage when i stay off the boost :)

so that keeps it to ~3000-3500 shift points.

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
I used to think shifting early mean better fuel economy. However, revs aren't the only factor...you must also factor in throttle position.

If you shift early, but subsequently have to give more throttle in the next gear to bring the engine back in the torque band, you are still using more fuel. It's generally a good idea to let the engine rev, not high, but freely, and so that when you upshift the engine is able to provide good power.

If you really want to maximize fuel economy, you really have to accelerate slowly. The slower the better, really. I don't recommend it because (a) it's boring, and (b) I'll prolly be behind you and get irritated like crazy. But really, to lower fuel usage, the car should deliver slow, lazy acceleration...that means lower revs and timid throttle usage. Sounds like death behind the wheel, though...

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
That's right. Just because you have many revs doesn't mean your fuel consumption is going to be better than if your throttle is wide open and you're in 6th gear...(just dreamin of a vette)..that'd be 4th or 5th for the rest of us. So go light with the pedal and try to keep the engine running at a good midway point. You really save gas milage when you accelerate at a more moderate rate.

Muerto

Golden Member
Dec 26, 1999
It should say in the user's manual when the best time to shift is for max fuel effeciency. I usually shift at: 1st-2nd 10MPH, 2nd-3rd 25MPH, 3rd-4th 35MPH, 4th-5th 45MPH. I get 30+ miles/gal every tank. :)

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

<< I tend to get much better mileage when i stay off the boost :)

so that keeps it to ~3000-3500 shift points.
>>

Ditto - except I shift as low as 2000-2200 at times