Gas meter reading and water

noob25002

Sep 16, 2018
Hello,

Recently got a gas leak detector. While testing it started to get a reading around the sink.
The source is the drain hole. It can get up to 1000 ppm with the sensor right next to the drain.
It's on all all the drains.
I then put some tap water in a bottle and the water is getting a reading as well.
I also used it on bottled water and there is reading there as well.

According to the manufacturer it measures Acetone, Acetylence, Alcohol, Anmonia, Benzene, Butane, Ethanol , Ethyene, Oxide, Gasoline, Hexane, Hydrogen, Methane, Naphtha, Natural gas, Paint thinners, propane, Solvents etc.

Is this a simple chemistry answer that I don't know?

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
According to the manufacturer it measures Acetone, Acetylence, Alcohol, Anmonia, Benzene, Butane, Ethanol , Ethyene, Oxide, Gasoline, Hexane, Hydrogen, Methane, Naphtha, Natural gas, Paint thinners, propane, Solvents etc.
Your water contains Dihydrogen monoxide. DHMO. It's a potentially dangerous solvent. :eek:

;)

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Hello,

Recently got a gas leak detector. While testing it started to get a reading around the sink.
The source is the drain hole. It can get up to 1000 ppm with the sensor right next to the drain.
It's on all all the drains.
I then put some tap water in a bottle and the water is getting a reading as well.
I also used it on bottled water and there is reading there as well.

Is this a simple chemistry answer that I don't know?
Did you calibrate the meter? How much did you spend on the meter?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Unless you spent a crap-ton of money on a gas chromatograph (unlikely but possible) you have no way to measure the actual gaseous emissions of your drinking water with any degree of accuracy.

If you have concerns (Benzene in particular is worrying) about the safety of your drinking water you should send samples to a private lab for analysis.

And you may not have considered this but its entirely possible you also have an indoor air-pollution issue originating FROM your water-source. (this is actually fairly common)

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
dihydrogen-monoxide.jpg

oh the hugemanatee!

;)

EDIT: All kidding aside though:

"EPA has set 5 ppb as the maximum permissible level of benzene in drinking water"

Any measurable benzene in drinking water is a problem.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ajay and NutBucket

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
real answer, when the stuff put in at the water plant kills stuff, it creates different gasses depending on what they are using, and also when those things hit air, they can react with the O2.

you can not tell anything with cheap crappy meters that don't even tell you what you are detecting. what's it say when you just put it in the kitchen and have something on the stove?

Reactions: Ken g6 and Captante

noob25002

Sep 16, 2018
Did you calibrate the meter? How much did you spend on the meter?

No calibration, Habotest HT601B, about $75. They are sold under a few brands.

I was going to ask if you lived near a fracking site, till I saw your meter was sounding off from bottled water.

Apartment in a city, I don't think they are fracking around here.

real answer, when the stuff put in at the water plant kills stuff, it creates different gasses depending on what they are using, and also when those things hit air, they can react with the O2.

you can not tell anything with cheap crappy meters that don't even tell you what you are detecting. what's it say when you just put it in the kitchen and have something on the stove?

If there is something on the stove it stays at 0 I think.

The worst of it is at the bathroom drain after water is drained, and because the drain canal is open and I can put the probe inside the tube.

It does not detect anything in any of the rooms except for in a corner near the ceiling in the bathroom where it can be ~25 ppm if it's not aired.

noob25002

Sep 16, 2018
Recently I got a new gas stove.

Without any ventilation and a cracked window I get a reading around the ceiling. It can be from 60 to 300ppm. I remember something similar with the old.

Problem with this one is when using the oven I also get a reading. The higher the height the higher the reading.
Source is the exhaust from the oven, where the hot air is coming out. It hits 3500 ppm right next to the exhaust. The meter is saying concentration is ~7% which is in the range where methane can ignite.

Around a foot above the exhaust it reads ~300ppm. 4 feet away at ~5ft height 30ppm.

Is it normal?

Last edited:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
that sounds really odd. Like some of the piping is leaking downstream of the valve but not right at the flame.

Reactions: Captante

noob25002

Sep 16, 2018
that sounds really odd. Like some of the piping is leaking downstream of the valve but not right at the flame.

Could it be that the meter is picking up anything else as a result of the combustion? Also noticed when the I hold the sniffer in my hand the reading goes up.

If there was any leak should it not ignite before it exists the exhaust since concentration is higher?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Maybe you should try testing water at a friend's house, at a store's restroom, etc.

noob25002

Sep 16, 2018
Really? :p

More like you read your thread again.

From OP:

Get the story straight! ;)

Read the entire thread please.

So does anyone know if this is normal, anyone with a gas meter can test on their own stove?

Took some more readings, at ceiling with active ventilation after 30 minutes with the stove on highest setting it gets to 700ppm.