Gas Heat Suggestions

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Got my first "cold month" gas bill a few weeks ago. From 11/07 to 12/08, I used 10100 cubic feet of natural gas (heat, hot water, stove) which cost about $170. It wasn't that cold here during that time period (northern VA), and I use very little hot water/cooking gas.

I keep the heat at 60 when I'm not here (probably 60-70 hours a week), 68 when I'm here and awake, and 63/64 when I'm asleep. Even at 68, my house is almost always freezing. I don't have a thermometer, but I'd say it's really closer to 60-62.

I have a single zone heating/cooling system, and I've changed the dampers to fully open for the basement/first floor and nearly closed for the second floor. I've also closed the dampers in rooms that aren't being used. This is a new home, so I find it hard to believe that the insulation can be that bad. I do get a lot of flies in my house, even in the winter when windows are never open. Is it possible that my windows aren't properly sealed and they're leaking air and allowing in flies? Does anyone have any recommendations for saving on the gas bill?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Change the filter regularly.

You already suggested that you might have window drafts, seek them out and plug them.

Do you have single pane windows? If so, a short term fix is to get the clear heat shrink plastic window kits and cover your windows.

When you open/close vents are you accounting for the location of the thermostat? As far as the furnace is concerned, the house is only as warm/cold as the thermostat.

Close drapes at night. Open them on the sunny side of the house during the day.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
How can you say that it really feels 60-62 when you have it 68 and you don't have a thermometer outside of the thermostat? How many sq ft is your place? If it's a new home, the windows should be energy star rated.

Flies? What kind of flies? You can't determine the source of them?

I suggest lowering the thermostat to 58 when you're not home.

I spent $145 last month on 8500 cubic feet in gas and I have dual zones. Downstairs 60 when I'm not home(dogs still are), 64 when I'm home and 58 when I'm a sleep. Upstairs 60 when I'm not home, 64 when I'm home and 62 when I'm a sleep.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ironwing
Change the filter regularly.

You already suggested that you might have window drafts, seek them out and plug them.

Do you have single pane windows? If so, a short term fix is to get the clear heat shrink plastic window kits and cover your windows.

When you open/close vents are you accounting for the location of the thermostat? As far as the furnace is concerned, the house is only as warm/cold as the thermostat.

Close drapes at night. Open them on the sunny side of the house during the day.

Yeah, I change the filter every month. The strange thing is that it never appears to be dirty at all. Very strange for a new house with new carpet.

How exactly do I find the drafts and plug them? I'm a home repair noob.

I have double pane windows.

The thermostat is located on the first floor which is entirely open except for the bathroom. All of the vents are open on that floor.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
My house is a 1550 sq/ft ranch and it's 21 years old. Last month (11/07 to 12/09) I used 12,900 cu/ft. I live in SE Michigan. I used 11,300 cu/ft for the same period last year. Gas is used for heat and water.

The temperature is set at 70. It's dialed down to 68 at night.

I'd say something is wrong at your place. It sounds like your open floorplan may be contributing to the situation.

Just for the sake of comparison, last months bill was $146 including a customer charge of $9 and a distribution charge of $26.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: joshsquall
Got my first "cold month" gas bill a few weeks ago. From 11/07 to 12/08, I used 10100 cubic feet of natural gas (heat, hot water, stove) which cost about $170.

That's cheap, that costs $300 up here in Jersey/New York area with a $100 of it a "Distribution" cost.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I'd guess it's bad that I can see my blinds moving when the wind blows moderately hard. I think that the seals between the two sliding sections are pretty crappy.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I'd guess it's bad that I can see my blinds moving when the wind blows moderately hard. I think that the seals between the two sliding sections are pretty crappy.
Well there you go. Aren't there locks on the bottom section to pull the two together for a seal?

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: boomerang
Well there you go. Aren't there locks on the bottom section to pull the two together for a seal?

Yeah, I have them locked.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
You definitely have a problem. I'm in your area, still on oil heat, and have only used a quarter of a tank this entire winter so far. Basically your entire last month cost more than my quarter tank for 2.5 mos now, and that's when oil was 3.17/gal.

Check to see that the windows are closed and locked. Make sure the top pane isn't down just a little bit on anything. Also, what's your thermostat set to, and is it programmable? We keep our place at 70-72 while we're home, and 62 while we're sleeping or out. Consider doing something like that.

If the blinds are moving, you probably do have a draft of some sort. Since it's new, you probably have a warranty w/ the builder. Get them out to look.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Originally posted by: boomerang

Yeah, I have them locked.
Well, I don't know what to tell you. It sounds as though the builder put in cheap windows. Whether it's possible to work with what you have to seal them up or not I do not know. I suppose if they still sell those kits to seal windows you could get those. The ones where you heat shrink the plastic after affixing it to the window. Never used them, so I'm not well versed in how they work.

If the house is new enough, you could get with the builder or the manufacturer of the windows. Blinds moving with the wind does not sound good. I think I'd make sure all the seals are in place. Maybe they got removed by painters and were never replaced? I'm just guessing.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Find someone who can do thermal imaging of the house to see where you're dumping out all the heat.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
How can you say that it really feels 60-62 when you have it 68 and you don't have a thermometer outside of the thermostat? How many sq ft is your place? If it's a new home, the windows should be energy star rated.

Flies? What kind of flies? You can't determine the source of them?

I suggest lowering the thermostat to 58 when you're not home.

I spent $145 last month on 8500 cubic feet in gas and I have dual zones. Downstairs 60 when I'm not home(dogs still are), 64 when I'm home and 58 when I'm a sleep. Upstairs 60 when I'm not home, 64 when I'm home and 62 when I'm a sleep.

get a programmable thermostat. have it set so during times when you are likely to be out of the house it automatically goes back to a low setting. you can always override it for heat, but it takes away the problem of you forgetting and leaving heat on for no reason since the override only lasts till the next program setting period. most decent ones have several settings during each day, morning/evening/night etc

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001

..it's good to have a breathy house.

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
That is equivalent to 101,000 BTUs which is about right for an older semi drafty house. I have see as high as 170,000 BTUs heat lost on a 4000 sqf home. A modern 2500-3500 sqf home heat lost tend to be between the high 30,000 BTU to the mid 50,000 BTU pending locality.

Is it possible that my windows aren't properly sealed and they're leaking air and allowing in flies? Does anyone have any recommendations for saving on the gas bill?
It could be that the house isn't fully sealed. Check craw space/basement/attic for leaks.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
If its a new house, it should still be under warranty, and leaky windows should definitely be covered

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: akshatp
If its a new house, it should still be under warranty, and leaky windows should definitely be covered
I'm not sure what the warranty is like in the US, but here in Canada, windows fall under the 1 & 2 years warranty.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
For all you with programmable thermostats, do you have pets? We have a dog and 2 cats, and I set ours to 64 when we're not here/asleep. Mainly because I wasn't sure how much lower I could put it with the animals there... I know they have fur and such, but to me 58 seems too cold. Obviously with no pets in the house its fine. I was just curious what people with pets set it to.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: murphy55d
For all you with programmable thermostats, do you have pets? We have a dog and 2 cats, and I set ours to 64 when we're not here/asleep. Mainly because I wasn't sure how much lower I could put it with the animals there... I know they have fur and such, but to me 58 seems too cold. Obviously with no pets in the house its fine. I was just curious what people with pets set it to.

I leave it at 60 for my dogs.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Your local utility MAY be able to help you with finding any heat loss and ways to save.

Ours will send a tech out to do an energy audit, and they can usually find tons of places where you need repairs or simple fixes to help save money, seal leaks, etc.

It's worth a call to your utility to find out if they offer such a service.

BTW, do you have high ceilings? We have 11 foot ceilings in half of our house, and that half of the house is always colder than the half with normal 8 foot ceilings. (heat rises) A ceiling fan MAY also help with evening out the temps in that part of the house.

huberm

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2004
that is really not a bad gas bill. Up here in Indiana its not uncommon for people to have $300-$400/mo gas bills during the coldest months of winter.