Gary Gygax, of DnD fame, has died

imported_Kiwi

Golden Member
Jul 17, 2004
All of us who play RPGs owed Gygax a great deal. With Dave Arneson, he created the original Dungeons and Dragons gaming rules.

Apparently having been in ill health for months, he was 69 when he died at home in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, before noon today, Central Daylight Time. He will be missed.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I was searching a story about Favre and saw this just now on the same website. Can't say there is much out there that involves swords, magic, or fantasy play in general that doesn't owe a heavy dose to what he started.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
As the creator of the original RPG, I'd consider him the most important man to modern entertainment.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
Rest in peace, Mr. Gygax.

I had a lot of good times with friends playing your games.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
RIP
rose.gif

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I guess I owe this guy for all the entertainment I've had since being young. While I wasn't a huge D&D player but I played many RPG's. Thanks for all the entertainment.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin,

Reading that triggered a memory of getting the TSR catalogs in the mail in the '80s. It used to be a big day at my house when one would show up, my brother and i would pour over it for hours looking at all of the games, minis, and assorted supplements and wish we had more money.

It angered me when Wizards bought TSR, it felt like how we all feel when EA buys another studio.

Gamers do owe Gyagax a debt of gratitude with so many great games being based on the property, and countless game developers who would name D&D as an inspiration. So many game concepts and underlying mechanics are drawn from it, gaming would be a much different animal today if D&D had never risen to prominence.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
rose.gif
He sure left one hell of a legacy. My wife has mentioned to me that she wants to try playing pen & paper, so we working on getting a group together.

Paladin

Oct 22, 2001
Gamers do owe Gyagax a debt of gratitude with so many great games being based on the property, and countless game developers who would name D&D as an inspiration. So many game concepts and underlying mechanics are drawn from it, gaming would be a much different animal today if D&D had never risen to prominence.

Well said. His influence was tremendous.

RIP
rose.gif

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: lupi
I was searching a story about Favre and saw this just now on the same website. Can't say there is much out there that involves swords, magic, or fantasy play in general that doesn't owe a heavy dose to what he started.

in games, maybe, but sword and sorcery, fantasy, etc was developed way before D&D

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Wow, I'll miss him.

Even after TSR sold out to Wizards of the Coast and went to 3rd edition, he still wrote new books. I think I had a few of them.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
In the end, even the greatest heroes can fail a 1d6 roll of constitution and then their +1 Mace of Smiting can not save them.