Garmin nuvi 200 @ Bestbuy for $99

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ofacto

Dec 29, 2003
Someone at Slickdeals had this advice: If you have the 2009 maps already on the device, don't register the device it until AFTER the 2010 maps come out next year, that way you can take advantage of Garmin's map gurantee.

gibster

Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: ofacto
Someone at Slickdeals had this advice: If you have the 2009 maps already on the device, don't register the device it until AFTER the 2010 maps come out next year, that way you can take advantage of Garmin's map gurantee.

D'OH! Haven't thought of it... nice one... Blast you ;)

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
picked one up today in Gainesville, VA bestbuy without a problem. Was only in there maybe 5 minutes total.

It looks like the date on my maps are 2008, so i'm going to register now and get the updated maps.

Edit:

How durable are the suction cup mounts? I am probably going to use the dashboard plate to mount the GPS in my car, but when i take it to my other vehicle, i'll just stick it to the windshield. If i move this thing between cars frequently, does the suction cup hold up well?

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
My trip to the Greenfield, WI store ended up in an hour long argument with the "manager" They got a letter from corporate saying the coupon didn't apply to "on sale" nuvi's which the 200 is of course. I went around and around with him about the exclusions on the coupon and how nowhere on the coupon does it say on sale items in the exclusion list. He kept saying that the words "not to be combined with other coupons or offers" meant "on sale" items were exempt. I told him that they could say anything was an offer. The tag on the shelf is an offer to sell the item at that price. Basically the typical BB BS. The "manager" was a complete douche and kept rolling his eyes and wouldn't give any straight answers. I went outside and called the best buy hot line and complained to a "consumer relations" representative and he is sending me a $50 credit for the trouble if I still wanted to buy one.

The girl at the counter said she just turned down someone in front of me and there was a lady behind me with the same item and coupon who didn't want to put up a fight. I don't get why they do such stupid things to piss off consumers. Sell the 3 items they had in stock for $50 less and keep people coming back for more. It's not like it was some scanned coupon that wasn't supposed to be used outside of a limited area. It's on the reward zone site for reward zone customers.

KPACOTKA

Oct 19, 2006
We have another problem, coupon works, no problem, however a unit is out of stock everywhere in SFBA. There is some store, but gas price will bring coupon discount even.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Crucial
My trip to the Greenfield, WI store ended up in an hour long argument .....

Wow, sorry to hear that. Sounds like that manager was a real asshole.

Originally posted by: KPACOTKA
We have another problem, coupon works, no problem, however a unit is out of stock everywhere in SFBA. There is some store, but gas price will bring coupon discount even.

Yeah i noticed when I checked in-store availability here in Northern VA, several of the stores no longer had it in stock. Glad I got one !:thumbsup:

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
For those with stock issues, the Nuvi 200W (widescreen version) will be on sale next week at Best Buy for $189. It's a 4.3" screen, so the coupon will bring it down to $140 + tax. Not exactly at the sweet spot for $100, but some may enjoy the bigger interface. :)

Good luck and happy navigating. :laugh:
~Travis

tealk

Diamond Member
May 27, 2005
Originally posted by: jamesbond007
For those with stock issues, the Nuvi 200W (widescreen version) will be on sale next week at Best Buy for $189. It's a 4.3" screen, so the coupon will bring it down to $140 + tax. Not exactly at the sweet spot for $100, but some may enjoy the bigger interface. :)

Good luck and happy navigating. :laugh:
~Travis

Now that will be a sweet dealio.

Onund

Jul 19, 2007
Originally posted by: chrisg22
How durable are the suction cup mounts? I am probably going to use the dashboard plate to mount the GPS in my car, but when i take it to my other vehicle, i'll just stick it to the windshield. If i move this thing between cars frequently, does the suction cup hold up well?

If it is the same suction cup as in the c530 then it holds up well for me. Mine is stuck to the driver side window (thanks to California law prohibiting windshield mounting). I've used it on extended road trips, >4 hr stretches including opening and closing the door with the thing still mounted, haven't had any issues. A few times it has popped off but that's when I stick it on in a hurry and wonder if I did a good enough job.

I dont' leave the cup on for more than 1 day at a time so I can't speak for continual use.

Hmmm... are you asking about how well the cup holds up to wear and tear from frequent reattachements? In that case, I've had mine for at least 1.5 years now and the cup is still working very well. And a replacement mount from garmin.com is $14, so not bad to replace if need be.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Onund

If it is the same suction cup as in the c530 then it holds up well for me. Mine is stuck to the driver side window (thanks to California law prohibiting windshield mounting). I've used it on extended road trips, >4 hr stretches including opening and closing the door with the thing still mounted, haven't had any issues. A few times it has popped off but that's when I stick it on in a hurry and wonder if I did a good enough job.

I dont' leave the cup on for more than 1 day at a time so I can't speak for continual use.

Hmmm... are you asking about how well the cup holds up to wear and tear from frequent reattachements? In that case, I've had mine for at least 1.5 years now and the cup is still working very well. And a replacement mount from garmin.com is $14, so not bad to replace if need be.

Yeah i'm referring to frequent mounting/unmounting of the suction cup. Thanks for the info. Got pissed this morning as I didn't get a good suction the first time and it fell on the dash, luckily i caught it. I may buy an extra mount just in case.

utfrodo54

Mar 14, 2007
the round base with the sticky tape on one side would not stick at all on the dash anywhere on my g35. as a result of failure to stick to dash, I proceeded to first wear out the tape and then to make funny faces at it so it wouldnt be a complete loss.

looking to hardwire it since i didnt get the navigation built in, but that spot is perfect for a flip up. stupid power thingy is in the center console, making installation of this very akward.

but got it from bb with no issues, and they looked up my reward zones (actually my significant others rewards zone membership, so not even mine!) via phone number look up, no issue at all.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: utfrodo54
the round base with the sticky tape on one side would not stick at all on the dash anywhere on my g35. as a result of failure to stick to dash, I proceeded to first wear out the tape and then to make funny faces at it so it wouldnt be a complete loss.

I had the same problem. It says in the book that it's "extremely difficult" to remove, but I couldn't even get it to stick, haha.

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: utfrodo54

I had the same problem. It says in the book that it's "extremely difficult" to remove, but I couldn't even get it to stick, haha.

Thirded! :p

I went to Home Depot and bought some 3M double-sided indoor/outdoor tape and put a couple small strips over the circular 'sticky tape' on the bottom of the disc. It's going to be hard as hell if I ever decide to remove it, but the guy said it'll hold up well against our cold winters. Additionally, the thing is so sturdy that it feels like it was built into the spot where it's mounted! :laugh:

~Travis

KPACOTKA

Oct 19, 2006
Does anybody has problems with applying updates? I'm getting message not enough space on device. How can it be resolved without adding extra SD card?

When I purchased device today I wasn't asked for reward program, so it looks like optional.

Dublin's store in SFBA has plenty of units in stock. I had for business in near area, so could buy a unit avoiding extra long trip.

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Originally posted by: KPACOTKA
Does anybody has problems with applying updates? I'm getting message not enough space on device. How can it be resolved without adding extra SD card?

When I purchased device today I wasn't asked for reward program, so it looks like optional.

Dublin's store in SFBA has plenty of units in stock. I had for business in near area, so could buy a unit avoiding extra long trip.

I had that same problem. Plug the device into your computer and remove the additional languages and pictures you dont need. I was instructed to do this by garmin and it worked fine afterward

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Delete language files you don't use. It helped in my case.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
I picked up the 3rd one this morning. Actually, I got two 200 and 205 today. Coupon worked like a charm - again. The new 205 is much quicker and has a few improvements as well.
$165 for 205 model isn't bad at all.