Discussion Garland is to be the new AG for the Biden Administration

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I think after today Biden will likely change his mind and have Garland use the full force of the DOJ on Trump and his cronies.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I think after today Biden will likely change his mind and have Garland use the full force of the DOJ on Trump and his cronies.

Ugh. Biden promised an independent DoJ, one free to prosecute malfeasance as they see fit, showing neither favor nor malice, which is as it should be.

Reactions: Brainonska511

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Ugh. Biden promised an independent DoJ, one free to prosecute malfeasance as they see fit, showing neither favor nor malice, which is as it should be.
Okay then let’s appoint Doug Jones to be the US Attorney for DC and let him loose.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Garland is up for confirmation today. Among other things, on day 1, he said that "DoJ's pardon attorney is supposed to prevent corrupt pardon decisions by the President." Well that worked out great, didn't it?

During the Trump administration, "88% of the pardons that he granted had some sort of personal or political connection to the former president," Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar said during the confirmation hearing on Monday.

Reactions: Pohemi

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Garland is up for confirmation today. Among other things, on day 1, he said that "DoJ's pardon attorney is supposed to prevent corrupt pardon decisions by the President." Well that worked out great, didn't it?

Yes, Trump exposed a pretty significant fucking flaw in our system where essentially every check against corruption fails the second the president decides he doesn't want to follow it anymore. As the 1/6 impeachment proved the only check the president cannot dismiss with a wave of his hand is also non-functional.

As things are currently set up the president can commit unlimited crimes while in office without any recourse and the only thing saving us from a dictatorship is the president deciding not to implement one and the vague hope that the military and federal law enforcement would choose not to do it.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yes, Trump exposed a pretty significant fucking flaw in our system where essentially every check against corruption fails the second the president decides he doesn't want to follow it anymore. As the 1/6 impeachment proved the only check the president cannot dismiss with a wave of his hand is also non-functional.

As things are currently set up the president can commit unlimited crimes while in office without any recourse and the only thing saving us from a dictatorship is the president deciding not to implement one and the vague hope that the military and federal law enforcement would choose not to do it.
First thing that has to happen with the law, don't know if it's a constitutional issue, is that a president can in fact be indicted. I mean my god, were we just subjected to all of this shit because the DOJ has their own unofficial rule? Who made that stupid rule?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
First thing that has to happen with the law, don't know if it's a constitutional issue, is that a president can in fact be indicted. I mean my god, were we just subjected to all of this shit because the DOJ has their own unofficial rule? Who made that stupid rule?
You may be shocked to learn that the source of the executive branch policy that the president can't be indicted is Nixon, haha.

Yes though, the idea that the president is immune from federal law because he is directed with enforcing it is an obvious, obvious, massive flaw in our system. As I've said before, if a president can't be indicted this means he can execute Congress if they ever attempt to remove him, making himself a king.

Reactions: jman19 and Pohemi
Nov 17, 2019

It isn't even a rule, rather just an opinion and not entirely agreed with:

In 1973, in the midst of the Watergate scandal engulfing President Richard Nixon, the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel adopted in an internal memo the position that a sitting president cannot be indicted. Nixon resigned in 1974, with the House of Representatives moving toward impeaching him.
“The spectacle of an indicted president still trying to serve as Chief Executive boggles the imagination,” the memo stated.

The department reaffirmed the policy in a 2000 memo, saying court decisions in the intervening years had not changed its conclusion that a sitting president is “constitutionally immune” from indictment and criminal prosecution. It concluded that criminal charges against a president would “violate the constitutional separation of powers” delineating the authority of the executive, legislative and judicial branches of the U.S. government.

“The indictment or criminal prosecution of a sitting President would unconstitutionally undermine the capacity of the executive branch to perform its constitutionally assigned functions,” the memo stated.

The 1973 and 2000 memos are binding on Justice Department employees,

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Geez, anyone see Sen. Kennedy ask questions? Garland couldn't figure out what the idiot was asking twice. Man, it must suck to be from states like Louisiana. Jerk was trying to score points but ended up looking like a stupid hick.

• Haha
Nov 17, 2019
^^^ Yeah ...

Cruz Says DOJ 'Politicized and Weaponized' Under Obama at Garland Hearing

"Am I right in assuming you do not view your role as attorney general as being Joe Biden's wingman?" Cruz asked Garland on Monday.

Ummm, no, that was under Donny and MG would not be acting like Barr.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
^^^ Yeah ...

Cruz Says DOJ 'Politicized and Weaponized' Under Obama at Garland Hearing

"Am I right in assuming you do not view your role as attorney general as being Joe Biden's wingman?" Cruz asked Garland on Monday.

Ummm, no, that was under Donny and MG would not be acting like Barr.

"Thank you for the question Senator Cruz. Like so many here, I'm glad you could make it here as I hear that some planes were not making it out of Cancun due to the inclement weather".

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This could very well be true, however if Biden does want to prosecute Trump era crimes you would want someone viewed as fair and non-partisan.

I have no idea what Biden wants to do here but if I wanted to go after Trump I wouldn’t appoint some fire breather because then it makes the process look like partisan revenge.
As much as I admire your good sense, I disagree with you here based on context. I see Republican politicians to be vindictive self absorbed monsters without moral compass or empathy for others. They will scream partisanship no matter how objective the prosecutor and they will turn around and use any advantage you hand them to stab you in the back. I would prefer to do unto them what they will surely do to you as the only potential deterrent they can understand. Make them eat the shit they have fed the country for decades. Crush then where you can while you can. They are nothing but a fucking bunch of whining cowards behind their blustering exteriors. They are a disease that needs to be driven to extinction by vaccine. Go partisan 200% Keep it up as long as they will not admit to who they are and what they have done.?

Nov 17, 2019
Honest question.

If you had a lifetime guaranteed job for as long as you wanted it, with virtually zero chance of being forced out, would you voluntarily take a known to be temporary job?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Honest question.

If you had a lifetime guaranteed job for as long as you wanted it, with virtually zero chance of being forced out, would you voluntarily take a known to be temporary job?

Garland is 68 with a long & successful career behind him. I figure he's pretty well set. He works because he wants to, so when Biden asked him to be AG of course he said yes.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Honest question.

If you can serve a nobler purpose and possibly move on to other nice jobs, why not?

Besides, Garland is 68. He might not work for long even if he doesn't get the AG role. This at least lets him go out on a strong note.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Honest question.

As the Attorney General of the United States?

One of the most powerful appointed positions that exist in the world?

Where you can have a lot of autonomy to do good, or bad, how you want?

Over...a lifetime appointment as a judge going into your 70s?

How many more ways can I ask a question that implies that of course you take the AG job?

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Honest question.

Quick, name a Federal Judge. Now, name the last 2 AGs. You reach a point in life where you're more focused on what you leave behind(legacy).