Discussion Garland is to be the new AG for the Biden Administration

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
As an Alabamian who's bitter about Tuberville, I was pulling for Jones to be the selection, but this seems ... fine, I guess?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
What does garland bring to this position? Seems like there could have been someone better.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
What does garland bring to this position? Seems like there could have been someone better.

Garland started his public service career in the department. He’s prosecuted domestic terrorism. He also has an extensive judicial record. He is above reproach. He’s a caretaker to restore order and dignity to Department.

The three people on the short lift were him, Jones, and Yates. I’m sure Jones and Yates will be happier with their eventual life time judicial appointments.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I was rooting for Yates or Jones. Garland's credentials and reputation seem unimpeachable https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...98085a-0719-11eb-9be6-cf25fb429f1a_story.html

But this feels more like a move from Biden that he wants to not prosecute the Trump criminal empire and move on.
This could very well be true, however if Biden does want to prosecute Trump era crimes you would want someone viewed as fair and non-partisan.

I have no idea what Biden wants to do here but if I wanted to go after Trump I wouldn’t appoint some fire breather because then it makes the process look like partisan revenge.

Reactions: Brainonska511

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
Looks like:

-- Lisa Monaco as Deputy AG
-- Vanita Gupta as Assoc. AG
-- Kristen Clarke as Asst. AG for Civil Rights

There are definite virtues to making sure the top guy has an unimpeachable reputation and giving him a team that will get #$@! done.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
This could very well be true, however if Biden does want to prosecute Trump era crimes you would want someone viewed as fair and non-partisan.

I have no idea what Biden wants to do here but if I wanted to go after Trump I wouldn’t appoint some fire breather because then it makes the process look like partisan revenge.

I would get a woman to prosecute Trump, since he has such much disdain for women. Maybe an hispanic women since he doesn't like them either.

But it doesn't really matter, Trump will claim its a fake news witch-hunt even if Ted Cruz was prosecutor.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Garland started his public service career in the department. He’s prosecuted domestic terrorism. He also has an extensive judicial record. He is above reproach. He’s a caretaker to restore order and dignity to Department.

The three people on the short lift were him, Jones, and Yates. I’m sure Jones and Yates will be happier with their eventual life time judicial appointments.

I didn't say he wasn't qualified. I just thought he would have nominated someone with eye for criminal justice reform.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Love how he only made this pick after ensuring that Garland’s replacement (whom he will pick) is confirmed.

I always wanted justice for Garland, but didn’t expect to get Garland for Justice!

Reactions: Fenixgoon

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I was rooting for Yates or Jones. Garland's credentials and reputation seem unimpeachable https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...98085a-0719-11eb-9be6-cf25fb429f1a_story.html

But this feels more like a move from Biden that he wants to not prosecute the Trump criminal empire and move on.
noooooooooooooooooooo
/Vader

Why do you think Garland wont go after Trump?

Looked what happened when Ford pardoned Nixon.
It sent the wrong msg that a Pres can commit crimes and the next Pres will forgive to move the country forward.

damn it.. should have picked Hilary Clinton for AG!
Let the McCarthy era witch hunts begin again.
Instead of asking about being a Communist, ask "Are you a pro-Trumper..."

Last edited:

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
noooooooooooooooooooo
/Vader

Looked what happened when Ford pardoned Nixon.
It sent the wrong msg that a Pres can commit crimes and the next Pres will forgive to move the country forward.

damn it.. should have picked Hilary Clinton for AG!
Let the McCarthy era witch hunts begin again.
Instead of asking about being a Communist, ask "Are you a pro-Trumper..."

It also let the country swiftly move on.

you can even re-use... Lock them up! it will be just like Pol Pot. the revolution made Cambodia into a utopia. Political Potential!

edit: guess i should comment on the actual subject. Garland seems like a well thought out choice, and its a little poke at the R's. works for me.

Nov 17, 2019
Remember that 'nuclear option' Mitch rammed through to confirm Judges with a simple majority?

flat,800x800,070,f.u2.jpg

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I was hoping for Abrams or Yates, but Garland works too. Heading DoJ would make a fine stop for a man hopefully still on his rightful way to the Supreme Court.

Moscow Mitch's bullshit needs to be corrected. Long game right backatcha turtle.

Reactions: Pohemi