Gang Rape of Female US Soldier During the 1st Gulf War

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I work with a female Gulf War vet & we were talking today about her experiences in the 1st Gulf War, & I brought up the MIA female & my concerns for her safety. Her immediate response was that in the 1st Gulf War, a woman she'd met was captured & raped. When debriefed, all she could remember were 50 individual acts of rape, & they suspect there were many more.

Took a while, but I finally found a link that talks about it: 6th paragraph

Thay don't go into detail & my friend mentioned she never understood why it wasn't made public...

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
I'm suprised we have women servicepeople anywhere inside Iraq. Saddam has used rape to terrorize his people for 30 years and we send fresh meat in to his thugs... stupid.

I guess if we didn't Gloria Allwrong would be protesting outside the Pentagon right now. Cpt. Dale Dye is on the morning drive now and he said he'd hate to be the female POW right now. :(

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
:( She was just on TV a couple days ago... I can't remember the exact show

It is so sad.. When she was captured she was dragged away by her arms which happened to be broken at the time :(

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Major Rhonda Cornum, now Col. Rhonda Cornum. She's tough. I remember reading an interview in which she said something to the effect of "when you're a POW, there are about 400 bad things that can happen to you, and rape isn't the worst." However, I think that "50 individual acts of rape" may be exaggerated. She was assaulted, to be sure.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
If this had been public the public support for sending women into battle would be next to nil, thus for the good of the cause it was never made "mass media" public.

steell

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2001
It was reported in the media at the time. I can remember it (and I am "over the hill" :D )

A long time ago, when I attended the USAF Survival School, I had the privilige of listening to an Air Force Colonel talk about the years he spent in the Hanoi Hilton, as a POW. The things they did to him are unbelievable :(

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I forget the exact number of female POWs in Gulf1. Eight or nine? Every one of them was raped while a POW.:|

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
I forget the exact number of female POWs in Gulf1. Eight or nine? Every one of them was raped while a POW.
Link
Of the 13 U.S. servicewomen killed in the 1991 Gulf War, four of them were from enemy fire, including three servicewomen who were killed by an Iraqi Scud missile attack. Twenty-one women were wounded in action, and two were taken prisoners of war.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
I work with a female Gulf War vet & we were talking today about her experiences in the 1st Gulf War, & I brought up the MIA female & my concerns for her safety. Her immediate response was that in the 1st Gulf War, a woman she'd met was captured & raped. When debriefed, all she could remember were 50 individual acts of rape, & they suspect there were many more.

Took a while, but I finally found a link that talks about it: 6th paragraph

Thay don't go into detail & my friend mentioned she never understood why it wasn't made public...

I keep being haunted by thoughts as to what happened to those two women MIA (and the other male) soldiers. They were probably captured by the Fadayeen and from what I've heard that's like being capture by serial murderers. The people that make up that unit are all thugs. I just hope they turn up safe.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
You must understand that we are talking about 2 different cultures.

America, where women have nearly equal opportunity as man and unalienable rights.

Iraq, where women must wear hoods or be raped and then beheaded.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
God, I just found some disturbing news at the MSNBC site:

AN NASIRIYAH, March 28 ? U.S. Marines who secured a hospital that had been used by Iraqi forces later found several bloodied U.S. uniforms worn by female soldiers, NBC?s Kerry Sanders reported Friday from the hospital. The find suggested that Iraq had held several POWs at the hospital, which is in An Nasiriyah, a town where at least five Americans were taken prisoner and eight went missing after their convoy came under fire.

SANDERS WAS shown where the uniforms were found ? inside the bathroom of a larger room that had been padlocked. It was the same room where 3,000 nuclear, biological and chemical suits were found when the Marines moved in. The uniforms, which had had their American flag patches and names ripped off, were found inside a bag. In another room, Marines found a large battery next to a bed ? leading them to suspect it was used as a torture device, Sanders reported.

zzzz

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Nitemare

America, where women have nearly equal opportunity as man and unalienable rights.

I think you are confusing Iraq with US ally, Saudi Arabia. The status of women in Iraq is much better than those in the other gulf countries.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: zzzz
Originally posted by: Nitemare

I think you are confusing Iraq with US ally, Saudi Arabia. The status of women in Iraq is much better than those in the other gulf countries.

Look up Saddam's son, Uday