Gaming with Steam and GFWL...is it possible?

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
As far as i can tell, Steam hates GFWL and GFWL hates Steam. I love Steam for Valve games, but i got suckered into thinking they could do more than that. This is all VERY confusing, but I think I have a serious problem and i hope someone can explain. I have Bioshock2 and GTAIV through Steam. These are GFWL and i can lauch them from Steam and up pops an "in-game" GFWL prompt. Bioshock2 would not play at all until i set up an "off-line" account, and now i discover it has serious key-mapping bugs--but it plays. Now for oddity, I have a local GFWL install and can login, but there is no content for Bioshock2 (just old DLC for Fallout3). Now, since Bioshock2 is borked, i want to play GTAIV. No mention in my GFWL contents, but it can launch from Steam. I still cant play it because of the Social Club bullshit, but anyway. I guess what im asking is how do i take Steam purchased games that are GFWL and "register" them with GFWL ONLY? There seems to be a serious problem with clashing or something between these two online options. I want to take games i paid for through Steam and extract them from Steam. Is this possible? Take home message? Im not buying anymore Steam content that is NOT Valve only.

Last edited:

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
It's that Games for Windows is downright terrible and messes up a lot and is really buggy no matter how you use it. It has nothing to do with steam.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
GFWL sucks balls, it is simple as that.

But I haven't had any problems with it while I've played Dawn of War 2

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
It's that Games for Windows is downright terrible and messes up a lot and is really buggy no matter how you use it. It has nothing to do with steam.

Like i said, i love Steam, but it does not play well with GFWL. Can i "extract" games from Steam and "import" them into GFWL? All im trying to do is remove a variable to solve the problems im having. For example, when i login into GFWL in-game it recognizes the game, but if i login to GFWL "out of game" it only sees DLC content for Fallout 3. I need to extract and insert...

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I have GTA IV, Batman: AA, and RF: Guerrilla all on Steam and all work flawlessly.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
This is correct. You have to login to GfWL inside the game, much the same way you can't separate a game from Steam.

But since i have to login to GFWL to make games run, AFTER launching from Steam, isnt Steam just kind of useless here? Why would i want to manage/play GFWL through Steam? Or vice versa (is that even possible)? Nonetheless, all the input is helpful--thanks.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
But since i have to login to GFWL to make games run, AFTER launching from Steam, isnt Steam just kind of useless here? Why would i want to manage/play GFWL through Steam? Or vice versa (is that even possible)? Nonetheless, all the input is helpful--thanks.

It's a convenient interface from which to launch/update all your games. Plus, you get to use steam features in game (at the very least, the web browser and the friends list/chat/voice chat). Steam doesn't make sense for one game, but it's useful as a platform. I add even my non-steam games to it just to use its features, and because all my gamer friends are on steam chat.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
they work together just fine for DOW2, sure I would rather have a server browser, but it works

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
It's a convenient interface from which to launch/update all your games. Plus, you get to use steam features in game (at the very least, the web browser and the friends list/chat/voice chat). Steam doesn't make sense for one game, but it's useful as a platform. I add even my non-steam games to it just to use its features, and because all my gamer friends are on steam chat.

Steam is the DRM/distribution platform, GfWL is the matchmaking/dlc/savegame management platform.

I also think it's a dumb idea to split them up like this, which is why I skipped on Bioshock2 and will skip any other titles that do this too.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Steam is the DRM/distribution platform, GfWL is the matchmaking/dlc/savegame management platform.

I also think it's a dumb idea to split them up like this, which is why I skipped on Bioshock2 and will skip any other titles that do this too.

Bioshock 2 doesn't require Steam though...

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
You're trying too hard.

Just use Steam to launch them and don't mess with the Games for Windows shit.

The game will not launch without connecting to GFWL AND Social Club. I get that error because im connected to all those other bullshit things, without connecting i get an error to connect.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
So apparently my "agreement" with Steam prevents me from a refund. Thats odd, if i purchase a car that wont run after it leaves the lot, im entitled to a refund. However, i purchase a game through Steam absolves them of all responsibility to provide a working product? Seriously? I guess im going to find a lawyer tomorrow. Yes, i will spend hundreds of dollars to get $40 back, but its a matter of principle now.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
So apparently my "agreement" with Steam prevents me from a refund. Thats odd, if i purchase a car that wont run after it leaves the lot, im entitled to a refund. However, i purchase a game through Steam absolves them of all responsibility to provide a working product? Seriously? I guess im going to find a lawyer tomorrow. Yes, i will spend hundreds of dollars to get $40 back, but its a matter of principle now.

Firstly you will loose that case, steam is not responsible for whether your game works or not. Call 2k or rockstar or whoever for that. . . steam works perfectly with GFWL

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac64/ax0n404/Dirt2.jpg

And seriously, call the developer about your problem, this has nothing to do with steam.

pwnagesarus

Apr 9, 2007

It seems like the car does work.

Have you tried poking around the GFWL, Steam, and 2K forums and seeing if anyone can help you there?

shingletingle

Jun 30, 2007

Are you new to PC gaming?