Question Gaming PC for around $2000

bradnewman

Mar 2, 2011
Hello I would like to build a gaming PC (desktop, windows currently have a 4k display so that isn't included in the price) for around $2000 - I play Fortnight currently. I would also like to keep it for a long time so something upgradeable with the board having future processors for the socket would be great.

Thank you so much for the advice if you need another details please let me know. I appreciate the assistance.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Other than Fortnite, which other games do you plan on playing?

Where would you like to purchase the parts? Amazon, Newegg, or Microcenter (if near you).

Would you like a case with good cooling and RGB lighting?

bradnewman

Mar 2, 2011
I have purchased from Newegg before with success, but am open to any suggestions.

Besides Fortnite, Minecraft JavaScript, Oculus Virtual Desktop, Roblox are among the top games played.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
You're not going to be able to upgrade your CPU beyond the current generation. Both AMD and Intel have new sockets on the next generation. AMD went 3 or 4 gens (if you count Zen+) on AM4, don't recall if Intel has gone beyond 2 gens.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
The new AMD Ryzen 7000 series comes out late this year. It will be based off of the new Zen 4 architecture and the new socket type will be AM5.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Both AMD and Intel have new sockets
Both will be LGA sockets moving forward.

Whether AMD intends to use the same spec socket beyond 1-2 generations is open for debate but, I sense they'll make another change beyond AM5 quickly with the changes to chips coming. Seems everyone is jumping on the chiplet bandwagon to Lego together different fab processes into a single finished product.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Both will be LGA sockets moving forward.

Whether AMD intends to use the same spec socket beyond 1-2 generations is open for debate but, I sense they'll make another change beyond AM5 quickly with the changes to chips coming. Seems everyone is jumping on the chiplet bandwagon to Lego together different fab processes into a single finished product.
That's possible, we'll have to wait to see what AMD says. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I seem to remember AM2 and AM3 both supporting at least 3 generations.

bradnewman

Mar 2, 2011
Hi everyone, and thank you in advance

looks like there has been a lot of updates on the topic and I've patiently waited for the new build. I'm 14 this is my first build so I really appreciate any guidance you can give so I can get the best possible for my money and keep a machine that I can upgrade for as long as possible. Currently I have a monitor with the following specs:

and I can replace the monitor as well if needed. I currently play and focus mostly on FPS games, like VALORANT, Overwatch, Fortnite, CSGO, and Apex legends. I would like to keep my total spend under $2500.

I'd like to build using AMD and the newest chipset that allows for the most expansion and upgrades later.
Thank you so much in advance for the guidance.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
This will blow your budget pretty easily.

Board - $500+
GPU - 4090/$1600
CPU - 7xxx $700

Still need all of the other stuff to make it run and that could be another $800.

So, how much do you value games as to other uses? As with this stuff though prices are always changing and sometimes you can catch a really good deal on the prior generation of gear. If you went with 5800 3xd it would give you more breathing room in the budget.

Go to PCPartPicker.com and play around with configurations and see where pricing is.

bradnewman

Mar 2, 2011
I mostly only use the computer for gaming reasons because I have other devices for such things as schoolwork and all that, bout wouldn't mind going to that site, thank you so much!

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I mostly only use the computer for gaming reasons because I have other devices for such things as schoolwork and all that, bout wouldn't mind going to that site, thank you so much!
That makes sense then. It's a good place to start as you pick parts you get an idea of what works together and pricing and power needs add up as you go. It does a good job with compatibility as well to prevent issues when you put it together and power on for the first time.

$2500 is a healthy budget it might be a couple of steps lower than a just released hardware setup though. It gets expensive fast if you want bleeding edge parts.

For instance I built an ADL 12700k last fall from the ground up w/o a GPU and it totaled out at $1500. If I trimmed down the extras to the basics it might come down to $1200. At today's prices though it still retains that level of cost.

If you go AM4 / DDR4 that will extend your budget to allow some more options on the GPU side. Throw something together and post the link and we can offer some guidance or changes that work well.

Reactions: bradnewman

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
@bradnewman

Now, if you wanted a "laptop" that hits the mark you could do a 3070TI for ~$1900 barebones and add your own drives / RAM to the top of that for a few hundred. If you wanted to up the screen to something else from 2K to or higher refresh rate you can swap the built in panel yourself for a few hundred as well.

I took a 3060 model and did that and kept it under $2K w/ a 4K120 panel / 32GB RAM / Dual 1TB NVME drives. The biggest upgrade cost was the panel though at $300 direct from CN since nothing was available locally. I also had to convert the cable on the panel side due to the connector change from the OEM to a smaller connection and got the seller to source that as well for $5.

With the laptop setup you can still use a bigger screen for gaming and external keyboard / mouse like you would a desktop. When not gaming tough you just throw it in a bag and go. I also use power banks to extend the use while on the go and use a USB-C cable to DC output. The only downside while traveling with this method it won't charge while gaming as it exceeds the power limit of 100W that USB can provide since the system hits ~180W when fully engaged with the GPU. It does keep it charged up though otherwise. I also have a car adapter that can keep the battery bank or laptop charged as well.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
This will blow your budget pretty easily.

Board - $500+
GPU - 4090/$1600
CPU - 7xxx $700
He does not need these components to play those games at 1080p 75 Hz his monitor supports.

B650 motherboard - $300
CPU 7600X -$300
32GB DDR5 RAM - $250
850W PSU - $150
2TB M.2 -$200
RTX3070 or RX6800XT - $600
Case and fans - $150-$200
CPU cooler - $50-$200 depending on air vs AIO

Total -$2200

The games listed would be playable @ 144-240 Hz with that setup @ 1080p honestly.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
looks like there has been a lot of updates on the topic and I've patiently waited for the new build. I'm 14 this is my first build so I really appreciate any guidance

Looks at join date and date of post. (⊙_⊙)?

Did you really join here when you were 3 years old? :p

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Looks at join date and date of post. (⊙_⊙)?

Did you really join here when you were 3 years old? :p
Youngest AT member? Or "Dad's acct."? LOL.

I have been doing audio production for 21 years and have never had any issues

I didn't miss the first one. I won that auction. I used my wife's ebay account :)

Those are quite the accomplishments for a 14-year-old. Congrats.

Last edited:

bradnewman

Mar 2, 2011
He does not need these components to play those games at 1080p 75 Hz his monitor supports.

B650 motherboard - $300
CPU 7600X -$300
32GB DDR5 RAM - $250
850W PSU - $150
2TB M.2 -$200

Total -$2200

The games listed would be playable @ 144-240 Hz with that setup @ 1080p honestly.
So while 1080p is still a great resolution and all that games actually would take to play, I was thinking about converting to an Ultrawide 4k monitor display, I currently have two 1080p 27" monitors. Should I use those instead?

bradnewman

Mar 2, 2011
@bradnewman

Now, if you wanted a "laptop" that hits the mark you could do a 3070TI for ~$1900 barebones and add your own drives / RAM to the top of that for a few hundred. If you wanted to up the screen to something else from 2K to or higher refresh rate you can swap the built in panel yourself for a few hundred as well.

I took a 3060 model and did that and kept it under $2K w/ a 4K120 panel / 32GB RAM / Dual 1TB NVME drives. The biggest upgrade cost was the panel though at $300 direct from CN since nothing was available locally. I also had to convert the cable on the panel side due to the connector change from the OEM to a smaller connection and got the seller to source that as well for $5.

With the laptop setup you can still use a bigger screen for gaming and external keyboard / mouse like you would a desktop. When not gaming tough you just throw it in a bag and go. I also use power banks to extend the use while on the go and use a USB-C cable to DC output. The only downside while traveling with this method it won't charge while gaming as it exceeds the power limit of 100W that USB can provide since the system hits ~180W when fully engaged with the GPU. It does keep it charged up though otherwise. I also have a car adapter that can keep the battery bank or laptop charged as well.
Instead of using a laptop I was thinking of an actual PC because I don't currently have plans to travel/move, Do you think that getting a laptop would be worth it instead of a PC?

bradnewman

Mar 2, 2011

B650 motherboard - $300
CPU 7600X -$300
32GB DDR5 RAM - $250
850W PSU - $150
2TB M.2 -$200

Total -$2200

Which CPU Cooler would you recommend for the build?

bradnewman

Mar 2, 2011
That makes sense then. It's a good place to start as you pick parts you get an idea of what works together and pricing and power needs add up as you go. It does a good job with compatibility as well to prevent issues when you put it together and power on for the first time.

$2500 is a healthy budget it might be a couple of steps lower than a just released hardware setup though. It gets expensive fast if you want bleeding edge parts.

For instance I built an ADL 12700k last fall from the ground up w/o a GPU and it totaled out at $1500. If I trimmed down the extras to the basics it might come down to $1200. At today's prices though it still retains that level of cost.

If you go AM4 / DDR4 that will extend your budget to allow some more options on the GPU side. Throw something together and post the link and we can offer some guidance or changes that work well.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-t...th-hdr-displayportusb/6501313.p?skuId=6501313 (That is the monitor i was looking at)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bmpGwc (Pc Build using parts suggested in a post)

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
So while 1080p is still a great resolution and all that games actually would take to play, I was thinking about converting to an Ultrawide 4k monitor display, I currently have two 1080p 27" monitors. Should I use those instead?

Most FPS players use 1080 or 1440 because they want high refresh rates. If you start playing AAA games and want all the eye candy then go 4K. Otherwise stick with the faster, lower resolution monitors.
Instead of using a laptop I was thinking of an actual PC because I don't currently have plans to travel/move, Do you think that getting a laptop would be worth it instead of a PC?
No, a laptop isn't worth it if the PC is going to sit on the desk all the time. You'll get better performance at the same price with the desktop.
Which CPU Cooler would you recommend for the build?
That depends on several factors. What case will you be using? Do you want an air cooler or AIO? Are you trying to stick with a specific look to your PC?

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Reactions: igor_kavinski