Gaming or Peripherals? Tell me about Oculus Rift . . .

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I have a budget. I've developed a wish-list. I've deferred spending my budget by $1,000 in cash-flows over time -- delayed it. The total budget might be $2,000.

This thing costs about $500. Some folks say "it drops out while I'm playing a game!" but you expect a bias in complaints on customer-reviews.

I also want a BenQ 1440p ZOWIE 27" 144Hz gaming monitor, because I'm still in love with my XL2420Z 1080p 144Hz. And the ZOWIE will have all the special features that give me an orgasm when I think about how convenient they are. That's another $500 to $600.

Then there's the $325 32GB RAM kit, and the 2TB MX300.for maybe $550.

I could spring for all this stuff now. Or I could disburse it in two parts of approximately $1000 each, now and 6 months from now. For the second reseller Check-Out, I would want to wait maybe six months.

I can't help it -- I'm a hardware addict, even if I'm not a cell-phone game addict. I'm not even really a game addict. Curious, I am, and I want to see . . .

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Really depends on what you want. I LOVE my 1440p 27" 144hz monitor :)

VR right now is still in its infancy, so if you are looking for something you are going to get a lot of bang for your buck, VR is not it. You'd be better off getting the monitor.

I love my Vive and Rift. If it were between those two, I would choose the Vive over the Rift for various reasons. Mostly I like the lighthouse approach way more than the usb finicky sensors on the Rift, but they both have pros and cons (which can be read about anywhere on the web). Both are doing decent package deals, but the primary thing here is you need a pretty beefy system and video card to enjoy them fully.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I'd never go back to a 1080 monitor if I can help it. My ASUS 27" is outstanding for gaming. If you have the hardware to support the resolution at maxed settings, I can only recommend a 2k monitor. Also, if all you're doing is gaming, there's really no need for 32GB of RAM at the moment. Hell, 8GB is still considered recommended for most new releases. 16GB will future-proof your PC for the next five to ten years - anything more and you're buying more RAM just to have more RAM for the sake of having more RAM.

As for VR, I would suggest waiting a bit. As more games incorporate VR, you'll see better and cheaper technology hit the market over the next few years. If you simply must have VR right now, I'd go with the Vive. When I tried out the Rift, it felt more obtrusive (heavier/bulkier maybe) than the Vive.