Gaming on your Samsung 181T/191T/210T/240T

BujinZero

Jul 12, 2001
Hello

When playing fast paced games like Quake III or Counter-Strike, do you guys notice any blurriness when using these monitors at their native resolution through a DVI connection? If so, how annoying/bad is it, and are these monitors worth the extra money over a CRT for general use and gaming?

Thanks for your insight, I'd like a new LCD monitor but don't want to compromise my gaming quality.

Entropy007

Apr 18, 2000
I don't notice any blurring on my 181t but I'm not a serious FPS gamer so other opinions may very. It's very subjective so you may have a variety of responses

foxes

Sep 6, 2002
Just wanted to comment that I have a Samsung 19" 900IFT (SyncMaster Flat Screen CRT). It's one of the few CRT's I've found with a flat screen, without the moire and blur found in other models. But, considering how widely CRT varies from actual unit to unit, those flaws can be found in any monitor.

So, I think SamSung at least has some good experience. However, at least for my CRT, SamSung was one of the most expensive.

LCD isn't good enough yet to invest in IMO. I wouldn't pay so much just for a fixed native resolution and refresh. But if you do get one, don't buy it over the net. Because units can so highly vary in quality, such as bad/hot pixels.

I'd go into a store, buy one, and plug it in to make sure it's not defective. That way you can see just how tolerable the streaking, ghosting and refresh is too. Take along a print out of an online store price/ad, and they might price match it (or give you some other incentive).

I got burned by the monitor return game once, and while LCDs are lighter, I still wouldn't buy something that can be so easily flawed. Plus, many online merchants don't consider just a few dead pixels a defect.

foxes

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Hey there! I have a Samsung 191T and absolutely love it.

I wrote a mini-review here.

A small update from that review is that I've now played WarCraft 3. It played flawlessly, as I had expected.

The ghosting and small trailing is somewhat difficult to get use to. However, I can now play just as good on my LCD as I can on my CRTs. One thing you have to do is adjust the brightness/contrast levels...darker games like Counter-Strike and Return to Castle Wolfenstein are pretty hard to play, since at default levels there are minimum contrast levels.

If you have any other questions, just ask!

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
I should mention that I have one gripe...and a big one at that. This monitor does NOT support 1024x768. :(

Also, I run 1280x1024@60Hz on everything I can. CS is the only game I can't run that resolution at. I am also using the DVI connector on my GeForce4 Ti4600.

Ahhha! I remember another problem I've been experiencing. Ok, I'm not sure what to blame this on...videocard, monitor, or my motherboard. I'd guess 1/8 reboots the monitor will display "Mode Not Supported" box that moves around on the screen. Generally, it only does that when you try to run a non-supported refresh rate or resolution. However, when you're rebooting, that screen should never come up like it is. To fix it, I simply press the reset button on my tower and the display and my computer are all good to go again.

I recently switched videocards from my ATi AIW Radeon 128MB to one of my GeForce4 Ti4600 cards. I never had this problem on my ATi.

Just thought I'd fill you in on all of my experiences with desktop LCDs, since this is my first non-laptop LCD.