Gaming on External Harddrive

imported_pez

Dec 6, 2004
Hi
I have a macbook pro, I will boot into vista for gaming but don't have much space on my HD, 120gb. Is it feasible to install Vista and/or games on an external hard drive and play off it?

If it is, will the performance be good enough? I won't mind a few extra seconds on loading times. Or am I better off moving my files to an external and partitioning for vista/games

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: pez
Hi
I have a macbook pro, I will boot into vista for gaming but don't have much space on my HD, 120gb. Is it feasible to install Vista and/or games on an external hard drive and play off it?

If it is, will the performance be good enough? I won't mind a few extra seconds on loading times. Or am I better off moving my files to an external and partitioning for vista/games

You're better of partitioning. External drives are usually slow and hampered by whatever interface they use to connect to the PC, typically USB 2.0 or Firewire.

You'd be better off moving you media collection off to the external drive and partitioning the internal drive to allow for gaming.

Why you bought a Macbook Pro with the intent to play games I do not understand, you could have a had a much more powerful Sager notebook for less money. :p

imported_pez

Dec 6, 2004
well I have a gaming desktop, but I started traveling for work and must make do with what I have. Thanks for the help!