Gaming Laptop Recommendations - $1000

slub

May 15, 2020
Hello,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a decent beginner's gaming laptop with an emphasis on performance and speed above all else. Ideally, I'm looking for it to be just around $1,000.

What do I mean by an "emphasis on performance and speed above all else"? Well, I mean that I'm willing to sacrifice mostly anything to squeeze every last drop of speed out with my budget. Screen size? Doesn't matter, at least it doesn't matter that much, I can deal with a smaller than average screen. Cosmetics and flashy lights? I could care less. Compactness? As long as it can still be considered a laptop, I do not care how big and bulky it gets. Battery Life? Well, while I'm more hesitant about this aspect, if, say, they're two similar options, and performance wise, one has a significant advantage over the other, but has a couple of hours shorter of a battery life, I'd be willing to make that sacrifice.

In terms of specific aspects of the hardware, I'm not exactly sure what I want, or if I want something like the RAM or GPU prioritized over other aspects. Ideally, the hardware specs should be best suited to gaming.

I know I laid out my specifications in no uncertain terms and in a very extreme manner, but please consider them as purely suggestions. I'm extremely new to modern gaming computers, and while I love computers in general, I've just never had enough money to start off in the world of PC gaming, so I'm not very knowledgeable about gaming oriented hardware and parts. As a result, I have no idea if the criteria and examples I laid out near the beginning are even rational or feasible preferences in the first place. Additionally, feel free to point out any flaws in my reasoning, and if I should prioritize things over performance.

I'm extremely open to choices outside of my criteria, but I would prefer a general emphasis on raw performance.

If you've taken the time to read this, thank you for your time, I really do appreciate any help, no matter how minor it is. Hell, if you only read this and got this far, I still appreciate you. I'm looking forward to reading your guys's advice.

P.S. A stipulation that I probably should've mentioned before is that, while I don't know what new games I'm going to buy to play on this, I do know that I plan on playing ArmA III on this laptop. The ArmA series has always been notoriously fickle with some brands of hardware. I'm not entirely in the know on the problems with ArmA III, but I do know that the previous game, ArmA II, hated AMD processors with a passion, and would be a complete slideshow, even when set at the minimum settings, on high end machines with AMD products. All things considered, I probably should've researched ArmA III's issues, but I totally didn't think about this until I was writing the main post. I understand it's probably not a very good investment to buy a laptop based solely on its ability to play one game, so it's not like I'm trying to find the perfect ArmA III computer to run the game on Ultra, I just want one that can reasonably run the game on Medium to High settings.

Again, any help is appreciated, and if you've read this far, you deserve a medal. I have a nasty habit of accidentally writing an entire College Thesis paper every time I try to ask a small question or explain a simple concept.

Thank you again,
slub (or whatever username I chose for this account because I've already forgot).

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Here's a decent one for $999.00:

MSI GF65 THIN 9SD-252 Gaming Laptop - 15.6" 120 Hz IPS - Intel Core i7-9750H 2.60 GHz - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti - 8 GB Memory 512 GB SSD - Windows 10 Home 64-bit

• GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GDDR6
  • Intel Core i7 9th Gen 9750H (2.60 GHz)
  • 8 GB Memory 512 GB SSD
  • 15.6" 1920 x 1080 IPS-Level 120 Hz Thin Bezel
  • 14.13" x 9.99" x 0.85" 4.10 lbs.
  • 1 x HDMI (4K @ 30Hz)
  • 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C
  • 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1

slub

May 15, 2020
Here's a decent one for $999.00:

MSI GF65 THIN 9SD-252 Gaming Laptop - 15.6" 120 Hz IPS - Intel Core i7-9750H 2.60 GHz - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti - 8 GB Memory 512 GB SSD - Windows 10 Home 64-bit

• GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GDDR6
  • Intel Core i7 9th Gen 9750H (2.60 GHz)
  • 8 GB Memory 512 GB SSD
  • 15.6" 1920 x 1080 IPS-Level 120 Hz Thin Bezel
  • 14.13" x 9.99" x 0.85" 4.10 lbs.
  • 1 x HDMI (4K @ 30Hz)
  • 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C
  • 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1
That's looks really good, actually. I do have a few questions about the CPU, though. Again, I'm super new to this, but my caveman brain keeps reminding me "big number good, small number bad," and a clock speed of 2.6 GHz seems sorta small. I assume there's some sort of turbo mode or way to boost the clock speed, and if so, how would that work for a thin profile laptop like this, as in, heat dissipation and ventilation. Would boosting the clock speed turn the thing into a slag heap in my lap? Do I even need to boost? Or am I looking at the CPU equivalent of Skynet, and I'm just dismissing it because of its clock speed?

Thanks for the recommendation, in any case, and I'll definitely add this one onto the list. I remember looking at other MSI laptops a few days ago, the GF75 or something I think.

Anyways, thanks again.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
That's looks really good, actually. I do have a few questions about the CPU, though. Again, I'm super new to this, but my caveman brain keeps reminding me "big number good, small number bad," and a clock speed of 2.6 GHz seems sorta small. I assume there's some sort of turbo mode or way to boost the clock speed, and if so, how would that work for a thin profile laptop like this, as in, heat dissipation and ventilation. Would boosting the clock speed turn the thing into a slag heap in my lap? Do I even need to boost? Or am I looking at the CPU equivalent of Skynet, and I'm just dismissing it because of its clock speed?

Thanks for the recommendation, in any case, and I'll definitely add this one onto the list. I remember looking at other MSI laptops a few days ago, the GF75 or something I think.

Anyways, thanks again.

That processor is a beast. It's base clockspeed is 2.6GHz but can boost up to 4.5GHz. It's a 6-Core/12-Thread processor, more than enough.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That, or possibly one of the new Asus "TUF" lineup of gaming laptops, with AMD Ryzen Mobile 4600U 6C/12T (I think), and a GTX 1660 or 1660 ti Mobile GPU, and gobs of RAM and SSD. Should be around $1000-1300, depending on options.

The one that @daveybrat found, above, sounds pretty decent too, I'm just not a big fan of Intel these days. Would much rather have a 7nm Ryzen APU, than a 14nm (plus-plus-plus-plus-plus-etc) Intel CPU.

slub

May 15, 2020
That processor is a beast. It's base clockspeed is 2.6GHz but can boost up to 4.5GHz. It's a 6-Core/12-Thread processor, more than enough.
Yeah, after I replied to you, I googled the processor, and felt really stupid when I found out that the general consensus on this processor is that it's "overkill." Just goes to show how technologically illiterate I can be sometimes. Based on how much praise people seem to give this CPU, you'd think it could do anything short of fixing a broken marriage.

One more thing, the "Output Device" section of the newegg listing's specs page, this laptop is purportedly "VR Ready." And, while it'll be quite a while and saving for another $1000 budget until I can get my own HMD, would I be able to use a contemporary VR Headset, say a Valve Index, with this laptop? Or should I just wait and save up more money to buy myself a dedicated gaming desktop before I dabble in VR?

Once again, I can't thank you enough, your recommendation is by far the strongest contender in my current list of laptops to contemplate.

slub

May 15, 2020
That, or possibly one of the new Asus "TUF" lineup of gaming laptops, with AMD Ryzen Mobile 4600U 6C/12T (I think), and a GTX 1660 or 1660 ti Mobile GPU, and gobs of RAM and SSD. Should be around $1000-1300, depending on options.

The one that @daveybrat found, above, sounds pretty decent too, I'm just not a big fan of Intel these days. Would much rather have a 7nm Ryzen APU, than a 14nm (plus-plus-plus-plus-plus-etc) Intel CPU.
I'm apprehensive to go with an AMD, as while I'm unaware of any CPU issues ArmA III has, I know for a fact that the previous game in the series, ArmA II just doesn't like to run on AMD CPUs. While I'm getting a laptop to play more than just ArmA III, that game is the most immediate thing I'm going to play on it, and it'll be the first game I install onto the laptop, as with my previous PC, I couldn't get my money's worth because ArmA III ran about as smoothly and painlessly as trying to use a slip and slide made of sandpaper.

Still, thank you so much for your suggestion, and I'll add that laptop to the list.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
in the same boat but i can wait a month, i was looking at 2060 gtx laptops since it is around the same price as the 1660ti's and a good amount faster. (but its 1200 for the dell i was looking @ with 9570h? and 2060. tempted to try and hold out till the 3000 series comes out
Dell G7 15 7590 Laptop 15.6" i7-9750H 16GB Ram 128GB SSD RTX 2060 144Hz
1050$ openbox or
Dell G5 15 5590 Laptop 15.6" Intel i7-9750H NVIDIA 2060 128GB+1TB HDD 16GB RAM 1200$ new

Last edited:

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
dell outlet currently has a g3 with the i5-8300h 8gb ram, 1050ti 4gb for $491 as of my typing this!
a little under the 1000 budget and barely a gaming lappy but.. its not a bad deal (these days) , thats the new price?

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
its delloutlet

• Dell G3 15” Gaming (3579)
    $491.00

5 in stock
  • help-cir-16-black.png

Certified Refurbished
    Intel Core 8th Generation i5-8300H Processor (Quad Core, Up to 4.00GHz, 8MB Cache, 45W)
    Windows 10 Home
    1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive (5400 RPM) with 8 GB Flash
    8GB (1x8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 Non-ECC
    15.6inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5
    Black - Non Touch without Type C base
    Dell Outlet G3 15 - 3579

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
@JWade , thanks, wish that I had the money, that a pretty solid price on an (older, trailing-edge "Gaming laptop").

Larry, the updated 1050 with 3550H was being sold sporadically around ~$400-450 late last year. I expect in several months, you'll see 1650 models at similar prices. Though, I think the gains in the next two years are going to be considerably better than the last five.