Gaming keypads question

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would quite like to get a gaming keypad, something like the Razer Nostromo or similar for use at work. (Basically, I need something where I have an ergonomic multi-function keypad for my left hand, which I can use while keeping my right hand on the mouse).

A conventional keyboard doesn't work well, as I need to use a lot of key combos, and many of the controls are not reassignable, and are assigned to keys all over the keyboard (e.g. I might have to do combos like Shift+A then Numpad then Ctrl+E. -This is a PITA to do 1 handed).

Work have said that they don't mind me bringing my own keyboard/mouse. However, they have said, that under no circumstances can any drivers or other software be installed or run.

So I need some sort of macro keypad that does not need any drivers/software to run. Do any of the gaming pads work this way?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-310682.html

"yeah, the G13 and N52TE are both so much more expensive than the others due to being just a little bit higher quality (mostly in just build design and materials, not necessarily functionality) and having onboard memory to store your customized profiles for driverless operation should you move it to a different computer."

So yeah he G13 has onboard memory so you can program it at home and not have to install the software at work

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The N52TE did indeed have onboard memory for storing profiles, but for some incredibly stupid and maddening reason, Razer decided to remove this feature when they took it over and renamed it to just Nostromo. Just a head's up. I'd say go with the G13.

(FWIW, I'm still using the Nostromo and love it, but not as much as my old N52TE for this exact reason.)