Gaming headphones vs. normal headphones

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
they are nice but heavy. Craig if you are gonna get into high end headphones you should go to a head fi meet up. You can put on lots of headphones and find what you want.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
No one has given the two correct answers for gaming headphones.

Audio Technica AD700's (don't think they are made anymore), and AKG Q701's.

AKG Q701's have the AD700's soundstage and far better drivers than the AD700's.

Get a decent DAC and AMP also.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Does this work on a Mac?

I game on a '15 MBP.

I don't know why it wouldn't. It's just a Mic that uses another 3.5mm (1/8") connection, so it's just a standard mic and headphone combo. There's no USB or anything.

Actually, looking it up, it says it uses a TRS 3.5mm connector, and that a Mac needs a USB adapter for some reason. Haven't look up as to why it does. On my MBR, there is no Mic input, so that could be why... only a headphone. I think only devices that have a mic in-line on a single connector will work on a Mac, not something that works as two separate connectors.

darkxale

Feb 17, 2014
I wonder if that works? I assumed such a thing existed but not sure if it would actually work on a Mac, especially since the ModMic has an in-line control. No idea how that works when factoring in a break-out like that adapter.
Unfortunately, they don't work on newer Macs, they modified the plug in 2013 I believe so that it only works with the plug configuration used by iOS devices. Cables like this basically always use the 'Android' configuration.

There are very few 2-to-1 cables sold with the iOS config (believe me, I've looked around for one for my RMBP), though it should not be impossible to find them.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Unfortunately, they don't work on newer Macs, they modified the plug in 2013 I believe so that it only works with the plug configuration used by iOS devices. Cables like this basically always use the 'Android' configuration.

There are very few 2-to-1 cables sold with the iOS config (believe me, I've looked around for one for my RMBP), though it should not be impossible to find them.

This is what a cable stripper, soldering iron, a 4 core cable, and a 4 conductor 3.5mm plug are for, and you just make it yourself.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I can't really help with this question. My only real qualification for headphones is that they can fold up to fit into my backpack and make sound. I prefer speakers. Big, loud drivers in big heavy cabinets, with heavy, high-power amps behind them. The kind of speakers that make china cabinets weep. The kind that picture frames hide from. The kind of speakers that get you kicked out of apartments.

If my neighbors can't feel the game I'm playing, why bother?!