Gaming communities don't have a good fix for toxic player behavior

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
F2P games are by far the worst. I dont really know what the solution is but ive stopped playing more than a few games due to the MP becoming to toxic and the devs failing to do anything effective about it.

To review, it's not clear what can be done. No moderation leads to lots of bad behavior, automated punishment leads to reporting abuse, and moderated punishment is impractically expensive. One idea is some sort of player volunteer trusted moderation.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
F2P games are by far the worst. I dont really know what the solution is but ive stopped playing more than a few games due to the MP becoming to toxic and the devs failing to do anything effective about it.

Not to mention rampant hacking. When there is zero cost for a new account there is zero barrier to hacking the game.

Reactions: PingSpike

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Not to mention rampant hacking. When there is zero cost for a new account there is zero barrier to hacking the game.

Yeah true that, hacking is just as much of a dealbreaker as toxic environment for me, alo quit more than a few games due to rampant hacking.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
They're still present, just not in 'AAA' titles like Overwatch or Battlefield. Like Stephen Hawking said in his preface to A Brief History of Time - just like every equation included in the book would potentially halve the number of readers who would buy it, things like a server browser, IPs, ping times and console commands are apparently too much for the casual audience. That coupled with the shenanigans of EA being greedy for dedicated servers have made these features non-existent in current AAA games. At least they exist on Source-engine games, which are thankfully the only multiplayer games I play.

If people can run their own dedicated servers you can't shut them down to drum up sales for your sequel game!

I feel dedicated servers give you the best setup since you at least *might* have a dedicated mod team making somewhat logical decisions. But those have been removed for sales and gambling F2P games are pretty common where there's little to no penalty for being caught cheating.