gamewallpapers.com free till 10/31

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
The password is thanks, NOT thankyou. You're welcome.

Kewl find - now I can get DOAXBV walls. Sweet.

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
Originally posted by: oLLie
Originally posted by: virtualgames0
bah even with membership.. they don't even have 1600x1200 wallpapers... how the hell do they expect people to pay for membership when they don't even have 1600x1200...

o wellz, thanks anyways!

Is there a point to 1600x1200 when the source of the image (at least for the console games) is only 640 x 480? (Or is it 800 x 600?)

*edit* am I mistaken re: the source of the image?

Yes, you probably are. They are NOT screencaps of games. They appear to either be scans of promotional print material distributed by the companies, or pre-prepared high-res "PR" images. I've seen some stores print up their own "coming soon" boxes for games, using some of those pictures as image sources (in the case of the various SC2 images).

I'm somewhat disturbed that they: don't have 1600x1200, and they charge for membership. I question whether they have licenses from the copyright holders of those images to distribute them for for-profit purposes, or even distribute them at all.

Nice pics, thanks for posting this deal, but it seems to me that the webmaster is really just only out to make a quick buck.

Plus, he's an idiot, he thinks that there is such thing as a "virtual machine for javascript". Actually, that's the VM for *Java* update patch, and has nothing to do with Java*script*.

But hey, a few free pics are good. :)

I was wondering the SAME exact thing.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
meh - not that big of a selection (you'd think if they charged they would have a LOT) and I also wondered how they could charge money.

kennyG

Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: virtualgames0
bah even with membership.. they don't even have 1600x1200 wallpapers... how the hell do they expect people to pay for membership when they don't even have 1600x1200...

o wellz, thanks anyways!

Hey..why not email them and tell them so ;)

cix22

Feb 12, 2003
Is this deal still going?

I logged in as:
L: computergamingworld
p: thanks

and I got an "account does not exist" error message. Perhaps the site realized that many people don't subscribe to CGW? ;)

Thoreau

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2003
Originally posted by: cix22
and I got an "account does not exist" error message. Perhaps the site realized that many people don't subscribe to CGW? ;)

Ditto

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
worked for me but I didn't see much worth actually paying for. Hell most of those I could find for free easily.

Vivi

Jan 14, 2003
*bump* not a bad deal but then again the idea of charging for wallpapers seem kind of silly especially considering all the available wallpaper sites out there offering it for free.

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
I'm somewhat disturbed that they: don't have 1600x1200, and they charge for membership. I question whether they have licenses from the copyright holders of those images to distribute them for for-profit purposes, or even distribute them at all.

Gamewallpapers has been around a while. Would be surprised if they were hosting this copyrighted content without permission for this long without getting into trouble.

amon.akira

Sep 28, 2021
I'm looking for an account to be able to download or a site to be able to download the same wallpapers.