gamestop ps3 pre-order not guaranteed?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AbsolutDealage

Platinum Member
Dec 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Runes911
Grr I am pissed at my store. "I can tell you your not the first but I can't tell you what number you are." WTF!?!?! TELL ME so I can look elsewhere to preorder.

Look on your reciept on the top. There will be a number that looks like this: XXXXX/XX - ###

The "###" will be replaced with your number in line at that store. Mine is 006.

Sensai

Nov 30, 2002
haha wow this thread ballooned in the hour... what i meant was since im on the preorder.. i hoping not to camp out a midnight like the other fools and just get there when the store opens or go during lunch the first day.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2
I'm curious if Nintendo is going to be able to fill its expected demand for the Wii...whatever that is.

Expected demand? Who knows. They're expecting to ship 2 million units worldwide (1 million to N. America) for the launch, and I'm pretty confident they'll be able to hit that considering they've been building them for months.

I think I read somewhere that EB Games/Gamestop was expecting something like 50 per store. I'm guessing you'll just be able to walk into any store on Nov 19th and pick up a Wii. No camping or pre-ordering required.

50/store is what I figured since They're getting < 16 PS3s per store and there will be ~3x as many Wiis available on launch day. I figure a pre-order won't be necessary, but I'd like one anyway just for peace of mind.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
One thing that is somewhat shady is each EB/GS store was able to allocate 2 units to employees.

So if a store only gets 2 units you can guess who is going to get them.

That said, I am number 3 on the list (which is really #5) and I hope to get mine.

Anyone care to guess what they will be going for on fleaBay? I am thinking a premium console will go for $1300.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
The shadyness continues: I was 8th in line this morning, got there at about 9am. Manager comes at about 9:45, goes in the store. Comes out and says they will have 13 preorders, 8 60gb systems and the first 8 in line can have at it. Then he goes back inside, 5 mins later he comes out and announces that they will only have 4 60gb for preorders. wtf? :confused: Employees are only allowed 2 max, so 6 should have been the min amount, not 4. So I preordered a 60gb just like the others in front of me anyways.

After I left I called corporate and explained the situation to a nice lady who thought it sounded fishy too...took down my info and we'll see what happens. Perhaps heads will roll? :D I should have raised hell there, oh well.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Oh, the manager also gave me the list of release dates for the games.

The release titles are pretty limited. Warhawk apparently has been pushed back to 06/01/2007

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Damn. Wish I would have known about this and that I hadn't had to go to DC today. Guess I'll be waiting in line.

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
Anyone have confirmation of the rumor that Toy R Us will take pre-orders on October 29th? If they do I think i'm going to camp out to pre-order it...
But if you pre-order it do you still have to camp out on release date or are they suppose to hold the unit for you?