Gamespot says XBox Live is garbage compared to PS+ and should be dumped next gen

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Wait, so hold on.

Charging people for meaningless trinkets like mounts and costumes that only have value in one, single game is fine, but an annual fee that allows you to play all your Xbox 360 games is bad...?

B..b..b-ut TEH NETFLIX!!

$3.35 a month is simply outrageous. Where are your principles?!? Let me type out several multi paragraph treatises on this appalling state of affairs.

Just...wait right here. I'll be right back...

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
B..b..b-ut TEH NETFLIX!!

$3.35 a month is simply outrageous. Where are your principles?!? Let me type out several multi paragraph treatises on this appalling state of affairs.

I laughed! :thumbsup:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
B..b..b-ut TEH NETFLIX!!

Lulz!

The "not paying on principle" point, I have already addressed. But the manufactured outrage in this thread speaks to a readily apparent agenda. Unless you are a child, and your parents will not pony up for a gold sub; the whole thing comes straight from the ministry of silliness.

There are a number of issues both consoles have suffered, to be unhappy about. But, subscription fees are not among them. I knew the deal going in, and chose to purchase a console that required a sub fee to access all the features.

The RRoD issue is the worst issue I've ever encountered with consoles. I have owned 4 360's, and only the S has yet to experience it. My son had his account hijacked too. That was 2 weeks he could not play under his account, and the PITA of getting the charges removed, and account secured. Xbox nickle and dimes you the worse too. Even WiFi was extra when it launched. And the D-Pad really is inexcusable.

And they made buying the least expensive model an unsavory choice. Because if you wanted a HDD afterwards, they bent you over on the cost. There was no USB storage support. And you ended up spending time to fix the damn things after the warranty expired. Even the x-clamp mod is no guarantee you will not have to open it up again. They would destroy a disc if someone made the mistake of trying to move it while on too. Oh, and the belt on the DVD player wore out on the one I used for a significant length of time before saving to the HDD was available. So I had to replace it too.

Finally, failed HD format was fail.

PS3- let's start with the controller. I bought a launch and there was no dualshock because they did not pay the fee. We have a total of 3 6 axis controllers because a friend was playing with us frequently enough that he bought one for himself. 6 axis sort of sucks IMO, and I am not paying for another controller just to get dualshock. It feels like I am pinching it, it is so small, and the marshmallow triggers blow. Finding a headset that worked worth a damn with it, and was not expensive, was a PITA bitd too.

The security breach that shutdown the service was a major SNAFU. The updates were terrible for speed of download and install for years. The console itself is nearly the size of the obsidian monoliths from 2001 :p And they removed killer features mine has, so I cannot replace it with the newer, smaller, version, without buying a PS2 to play those games on evidently?

There you have it. My piss and moan about the consoles. You may not agree with every gripe. Maybe you got the hot deal on the HD-DVD player with all the movies. Or your 360 never failed. Or you don't need the emotion engine in your PS3. Or the card readers. Maybe you like the PS3 controller. Or hardly touch the 360 d-pad. Maybe you did not get bent over on an HDD or wifi for 360. Or had your account hacked. Or invested in HD-DVD only to watch it go belly up. Or ever had a scratched disc. I know I have not experienced a few of these. But a considerable number of owners have.

And now that I have been through all those troubles with the consoles (not having covered some of the specific hardware and software issues both have also experienced) I am supposed to be bent about paying $3-$4 a month for a service that is actually pretty damned good? o_O

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Devices don't run on air, you're paying for the electricity.

Precisely. So if the PS3 took more electricity than the 360 to run, then XBL is better than PSN? It is just a stupid argument. Compare the service to service. The price is a valid point, but only takes you so far.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Precisely. So if the PS3 took more electricity than the 360 to run, then XBL is better than PSN? It is just a stupid argument. Compare the service to service. The price is a valid point, but only takes you so far.

if you use ps3 and xbox360 both for 4 hours a day to watch netflix, the power consumed by the ps3 costs you $5/mo more than it does on xbox360. so that basically pays for xbl which will give you netflix. so everyone should stop crying about that.

and yes all of those facts are 100% made up.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
How well does Netflix tie into PS3? I've never used it on that platform as I mostly use my 360. Does it allow you to pause, select, or even search via voice commands like the 360 version does? Does it allow you to tell your friends what you're watching? The last one I don't really use, but I do point out that the Xbox platform is really integrated into netflix on it, much more so than I've seen on other stuff like my tablet or PC.

Last edited:

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The difference is that you *want* to pay for PS+, but that you *have* to pay for XBL.

PS+ is a win/win. You get something great, Sony gets your money, and you want to high five them. Oh, and use any hardware you want with the PS3.

XBL, and the broader Xbox platform, is designed to take advantage of you. It's borderline contemptuous. Every time I pay that fee, I feel like I'm being forced into it. When I had to replace my HDD with the MS brand one at great expense....it makes me hate them that little bit more. Same with the wireless bluetooth headset, and the need to use a chat cable with my "wireless" headphones - the same set which is fully wireless on PS3.

Basically they decided that I was gonna pay their tax and like it, and I paid it....but now I'm looking for a way out. They're throwing away long term viability for a few short term bucks. One of them is clearly more consumer friendly than the other. Even if XBL remains superior in some ways....the whole platform is just designed to make you hate it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The difference is that you *want* to pay for PS+, but that you *have* to pay for XBL.

lol.

i don't want to pay for ps+ (and i don't because it has 0 features i care for) and i don't have to pay for xbl, and i actually currently am not because mine ran out 2 days ago on jan 13th.

0 for 2, please try again!

Last edited:

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
lol.

i don't want to pay for ps+ (and i don't because it has 0 features i care for) and i don't have to pay for xbl, and i actually currently am not because mine ran out 2 days ago on jan 13th.

0 for 2, please try again!

Congratulations, you've succeeded in missing the point.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
PS+ is a win/win. You get something great, Sony gets your money, and you want to high five them. Oh, and use any hardware you want with the PS3.

XBL, and the broader Xbox platform, is designed to take advantage of you. It's borderline contemptuous. Every time I pay that fee, I feel like I'm being forced into it. When I had to replace my HDD with the MS brand one at great expense....it makes me hate them that little bit more. Same with the wireless bluetooth headset, and the need to use a chat cable with my "wireless" headphones - the same set which is fully wireless on PS3.

Your wireless headset needing a cable to chat has nothing to do with Microsoft. I can chat without a wire with my headset.

And you can literally put any 320gb or smaller HD in an Xbox you're not forced to buy the MS one.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i don't agree with you means i missed the point?

No, because your response was petty, in an attempt to sound clever. It was just a dumb response. You probably have something more meaningful to say, but instead drivel just came out.

I dont blame you, It's a reminder of why I hate this place. The tone of discussion here doesnt really allow for much more than petty bickering, every now and then I forget that. I don't even know why I bother anymore.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
No, because your response was petty, in an attempt to sound clever. It was just a dumb response. You probably have something more meaningful to say, but instead drivel just came out.

I dont blame you, It's a reminder of why I hate this place. The tone of discussion here doesnt really allow for much more than petty bickering, every now and then I forget that. I don't even know why I bother anymore.

the "point" you were trying to make was an awful point imo, and doesn't make any sense at all. and because i don't agree with it, you think i missed it.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I'd just like to point out that the CBS/CNet/CES fiasco underscores the fact that Gamespot has no editorial integrity.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's amazing how hard the XBox lunatics deflect the fact that this is supposed to be about next gen, and that puts them head to head with Steam. Vastly superior functionality, service and it's free. I know, they will go off on some random rant about how the tried a whole three games and are some sort of experts(I almost spit soda all over my monitor when I read that, holy ignorant) and we can't use Steam because, because..... MOMMY THE BAD MAN DOESN'T LIKE MY XBOX!!!!!!

MS isn't going up against just Sony this time. Their second rate service for insanely high cost isn't going to cut it against Valve.