[gamesindustry]EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
I do agree the monthly NPD reports are pretty irrelevant for video games (especially PC games) nowadays.

That said, I could really care less about what EA thinks is the next trend, or what they're currently hyping. I stopped buying EA games a long time ago.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
If it's on origin then I simply won't buy it. Made that mistake for the last time with mass effect 3.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
And cue EA being crucified for doing what everyone else is doing/expecting.

I know right?

Sure EA has its faults, and I won't defend them on that. But a lot of the common complains with EA are not complaints that can be pinned on EA alone, but the industry as a whole, or other companies doing teh same thing.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
And cue EA being crucified for doing what everyone else is doing/expecting.

Nah, no issues with this, however if they think Origin is going to be the portal for that, they have a lot of ground to make up.

The big issue is that EA is and has been full of shit and hypes a lot of things. They aren't real groundbreaking at all.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
PC market has gone pretty much digital. I think he was talking about consoles in particular. It should be interesting how they implement this in consoles as they all want used game market to die.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Sweet hopefully they can do this with consoles as well so I don't have to ever see an EA game again.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Down with our analog overlords!
Wait, EA is the middle man...

No they aren't they are the producers/financiers.

Retail that typically takes around $20 per unit sold at $60 is the middleman. EA and everyone else wants to completely cut them out. Which would roughly double their per unit take.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Last I checked a CD, DVD, or Blu-Ray was digital already...

What he means is "EA will be a virtual company with no hard copies of products, just licenses sold to people who download the data for their usage as long as they use it how we say".

He says NPD is irrelevant, but I think EA will be irrelevant first.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
This bozo is ignoring an entire segment of the market with poor internet service. To expect everyone to download or stream is pretty hard to believe when ISPs are capping you and some areas of the US and the world for that matter, have no or limited access to fast internet.

ShreddedWheat

Apr 3, 2006
I can understand going dl only (for profits) but Origin freakin sucks (4 downloads for MassEffect2 and had to hack the 4th dl to get it to work!) 4 dls ate up alot of my capped dl amount from att not to mention wasted time.

I can understand EA playing the Origin only at launch (to maximize profits for the EA fanboys) but eventually pass these games when they are cheaper to STEAM (when they are selling for what they are actually worth). Regardless if the game is $5 through origin I'm not going to mess with it but would on STEAM.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
They are planning on doing what Valve did when HL2 was released. Everyone hated it, but it forced everyone to install Steam to play the game. EA hopes to force Origin on people the same way Valve forced Steam on everyone.

I have to admit that I didn't like it when Valve did it, and I don't like it now that EA is doing it. It is a really good long term idea for them, although it will come at the expense of sbort term profits.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
Good. Ever since steam came around I have not bought a single game from a store, in fact, I've thrown out all my old physical games because I got them all on steam sales for the most part. Love the convenience of installing, just a couple clicks. I even stopped downloading pirate games... mostly.

What else, gave away most of my fiction books and bought a Kindle... sold all my CDs and now I got like 65 gigs of music on my hard drive. Been like that for years.