Games worth a new GPU in 2014?

mingsoup

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
I'm debating on buying a new GPU [a 290] to replace some 2x6950's. However I see few upcoming games in 2014 that really pique my interest, certainly ones where a new gpu would be great.

Watch Dogs and Wolfenstein are what I see. Thief already runs flawlessly on my 6950's. Its tough as games like Terraria have far away my most playtime. I think right now the most anticipated game of mine for 2014 is Civilization/Alpha Centauri 2. I still spend 10 hours to every 1 hour playing old games like Alpha Centauri.

Maybe graphics and graphics intense games really just aren't as important to me anymore.

Last edited:

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Assuming it makes it to shelves in 2014, The Division is the one I expect to bring the eye candy.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I keep asking myself the same thing.

I won't be gaming (or upgrading my gpu) until HL:EP3! Mind you I am running an ancient GeForce GTS 450 and uninstalled STEAM like 18 months ago and haven't looked back. Just no time anymore for it when the games are usually so buggy and meh.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I won't upgrade until Star Citizen is out. I don't think there is a single game that needs more than what I have now unless I upgrade to 4K monitors at which time, there isn't anything out that can handle that anyway.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
If I had to guess, Watch Dogs will be pretty resource intensive. It's a Ubisoft Montreal game, it's open-world, thus it will probably run like garbage unless you throw enough raw GPU power at it. :p

I'm not too worried about Wolfenstein.

Honestly, the most demanding game to look out for this year is probably Batman: Arkham Knight. It's being made by Rocksteady again this time, and if it's anything like Arkham City, it will be a pain in the butt to run in DX11 mode.

(If The Witcher 3 was coming out this year, I would definitely upgrade for that one. But that got pushed back to 2015).

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Assuming it makes it to shelves in 2014, The Division is the one I expect to bring the eye candy.

The Division definitely looks like it has potential, but like TW3, I think they're aiming for a 2015 release.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Possibly the following are going to be heavy graphics as well:
Alien:Isolation
The crew
Latest Batman

But just keep in mind 2x 6950's is similar performance wise to a single 290, you aren't going to see a significant jump in performance from one 290 on its own compared to your current setup.

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
Possibly the following are going to be heavy graphics as well:
Alien:Isolation
The crew
Latest Batman

But just keep in mind 2x 6950's is similar performance wise to a single 290, you aren't going to see a significant jump in performance from one 290 on its own compared to your current setup.
Take out Latest Batman.Its still using Modify UE which was used in Thief.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I find more and more "needing" is more "wanting". Most games could use pretty new cards, but lots of graphics settings I turn off in settings because they mess with game. lol

My GTX 780 Ti is going to hold me over nicely for a few years. Unless something revolutionary comes around tech wise.

Feb 4, 2009
I keep asking myself the same thing.

I won't be gaming (or upgrading my gpu) until HL:EP3! Mind you I am running an ancient GeForce GTS 450 and uninstalled STEAM like 18 months ago and haven't looked back. Just no time anymore for it when the games are usually so buggy and meh.

Hell I'm rocking a GRX260 and the only semi recent game was BF3 that made me think about it but cards were priced far too high at the time and I decided medium settings was good enough.
I'll need a new card for Star Citizen.

Aug 11, 2008
Huh? Question to me is are there any 2014 games coming out worth the price of the game. Just kidding sort of, but the landscape looks pretty bleak the rest of the year. Not sure there are any games I would pay full price for. Maybe the new dragon age or "civ in space" but even then I want to see some reviews before paying full price.

Feb 4, 2009
Huh? Question to me is are there any 2014 games coming out worth the price of the game. Just kidding sort of, but the landscape looks pretty bleak the rest of the year. Not sure there are any games I would pay full price for. Maybe the new dragon age or "civ in space" but even then I want to see some reviews before paying full price.

This is correct also, I think I am tired of innovative indie games. Seems like that trend has peaked, now its only games that belong on a playstation 1 or green lights that have no hope of being completed.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
This is correct also, I think I am tired of innovative indie games. Seems like that trend has peaked, now its only games that belong on a playstation 1 or green lights that have no hope of being completed.
I agree the "indy fad" has already passed it's prime.

I enjoyed a few titles out of it without question, but I think even in it's prime it was at best on par with triple A titles being for every 1 good game there was a hundred bad games and now I see nothing coming of interest

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I agree the "indy fad" has already passed it's prime.

I enjoyed a few titles out of it without question, but I think even in it's prime it was at best on par with triple A titles being for every 1 good game there was a hundred bad games and now I see nothing coming of interest

I am very much looking forward to these two:

Routine

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Some of the screens of The Vanishing are really beautiful - - which makes sense considering the nature of the game:

The_Vanishing_of_Ethan_Carter_Church.jpg

Hopefully they make it through development to be released.

Last edited:

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
The Indy game scene has always been like this. For every innovative and game mechanic changing game there are a hundred 2D platformers and other unlikely to really succeed games. Not every Indy game can be Minecraft, nor do we want that. But they also tend to come out of the blue as well, without massive marketing budgets you tend to just start hearing about it in more and more places, and chances are that next big Indy hit is already in development its just most of us haven't even heard of it yet.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I think 2015 is the year games might need some new graphics. The two on my list are at least. Starcitizen and Camelot Unchained (maybe)

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
BF4 tanks for me on my gtx770 at 1080p, seriously want a 290x but apparently 337.50 drivers for NVidia may have done some magic with the random dips I experienced with 335.23.Honestly wouldn't know till I reinstall the game.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
GTA5 on PC if they do a good job on the PC port like Max Payne 3. Should be a real stunner, especially if it comes with hi res textures.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Those random dips in performance for bf4 have been happening since the January patch of the game. It's not your GPU, its the still unbelievably buggy game.

Personally its watch dogs and the division I am really keen to play and they both look graphically lovely.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
There's nothing coming out anytime soon that requires me to replace my 7870.

Desktop computing is kinda boring these days. I've had my cpu for over 3 years and probably won't replace it anytime soon. I've had my GPU for two years and probably won't replace it until Witcher 3 is released which is mid-2015 last I heard.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Can't think of anything... I've been able to run most of the newer stuff that I got in the past year on my 4 year old system at high detail.

My guess is that it'll take a year or two until they really start to use the full potential of the Xbox and Playstation. Sweet. That means that my next upgrade should last around a decade if nothing dies.