Games with great and expansive content.

ToasterMach9

Aug 7, 2011
I recently 'finished', if that's the proper word, a sandbox minecraft-inspired game called Terraria. It has a great environment editing system but that's not what pulled me in.

After playing Terraria for hours you can still find new content by digging into deeper levels, finding new areas, discovering new recipes, finding new enemies and generally just messing around.

I am looking for a game that has similar content discovery and lots and lots of content to discover just by playing the game and not by slaving away at one task over and over (like many rpgs out there).

Any ideas?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Not many. Thats why Minecraft is so popular.

The Elder Scrolls and Fallout have plenty of official expansion and user content but really not much in the way of new customized worlds. No matter how much crap you download you will eventually get tired of them. But eventually might come in a thousand hours or so.

Oct 30, 2004
The most content is for games that have an active mapping and modding community. Arguably the original Unreal Tournament (UT99) is one of the most "expansive" games out there since there must be over 10,000 custom maps and mods for it. The first Neverwinter Nights had numerous persistent universe online multiplayer servers. Baldur's Gate II had various mods and campaigns.

mingsoup

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Fallout New Vegas. There is even an achievement for going out and exploring. Adding mods is fantastic too. Game is great for discovering new hidden goodies and exploration. Terraria and Minecraft too. Interested to see what others suggest. Morrowind, Fallout 3, New Vegas. Etc.

Last edited:

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
You probably have to play through Gothic 2 four or more times to see everything in that game.

I'm not close to seeing everything in Gothic 3 (which is much bigger than 2), but 2 is definitely the tighter game.

Even the first Gothic has hidden stuff stashed everywhere.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Fallout New Vegas. There is even an achievement for going out and exploring. Adding mods is fantastic too. Game is great for discovering new hidden goodies and exploration. Terraria and Minecraft too. Interested to see what others suggest. Morrowind, Fallout 3, New Vegas. Etc.

This gives me a thought. What kind of games have the easiest mod application process? As in...are there any that do it right through the game interface? As opposed to downloading a separate executable from who knows where.

ToasterMach9

Aug 7, 2011
This gives me a thought. What kind of games have the easiest mod application process? As in...are there any that do it right through the game interface? As opposed to downloading a separate executable from who knows where.

Garry's Mod, a sandbox mod for hl2, has a large community with HUGE amounts of quality addons that are easy to install and allow for complex creations and addicting gamemodes.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've tried Balder's Gate but the DnD style combat doesn't really suit me. I've already exhausted Fallout 3, New Vegas and Oblivion after playing so many hours :) so I guess I'll take a look at Gothic.

ToasterMach9

Aug 7, 2011
And as for maniacalpha1-1 and Garry's Mod, check out garrysmod.org or facepunch.com for most addons. Definitely install Wiremod and learn how it works, it's loads of awesome once you know how to use it.

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
Ultima Online. There are many custom servers, and they are very different and custom. The game was created with purpose to be played on many different servers (called shards). There are also good RP servers. The only downside to this games are the outdated graphics. Though there is a new 3D version of UO... in my opinion and in general opinion - it sux. The old 2D graphics however are really beautiful imo.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
NWN, though you'd be more playing through custom campaigns than the original one I'd imagine. There's some really exceptional ones, however I don't know how deep the rabbit hole goes in them.

Maybe FFXI if you can stomach it. And Skies of Arcadia for a console recommendation.

mingsoup

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie. Super Mario Galaxy 1&2. Many many levels each with new things to see and discover. This is more of a bump than anything else, still great games.

I also love Terraria, because it plays great on my ailing integrated graphics Inspiron, something I can't do as well with Minecraft. So addictive! The content they are adding doesn't help anything. For some reason I also find it better than say a Castlevania/Metroid, because of the crafting, collecting, and modification aspects of the game. Metroidvania is pretty static.

Last edited:

-Slacker-

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2010
You probably have to play through Gothic 2 four or more times to see everything in that game.

I'm not close to seeing everything in Gothic 3 (which is much bigger than 2), but 2 is definitely the tighter game.

Even the first Gothic has hidden stuff stashed everywhere.

Mas uno.