Games which deserve a sequel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
Homeworld, Freespace, Descent, TIE Fighter, Planescape: Torment, and Thief come to mind when I think of franchises that just haven't been touched in a while (or nearly forever).

As for recent sequels or additions in other franchises that might be considered unworthy, I usually try to block them out of my mind if they bother me and just pray that they don't turn into serialized abominations.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Alpha Centauri.
Total Annihilation (not its 'spiritual successor').
Heaven & Earth (I know no one has played it).
Lionheart the Crusader
Sacrifice
Day of the Tentacle
Full Throttle

This. So much this. I heard they started several sequels but nothing true ever came of it. Very sad.

I will go with FFXI. I don't think FFIV was meant to be a sequel. They got so many thing right with FFXI they should have created an updated world with new graphics and goals with a lot of the same system. I would have joined immediately.

I would say WoW but let's see what Titan brings...

So other than that on the PC side, I can't think of anything. Most awesome games I played had a sequel or was a sequel in and of itself.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Freespace 2
Planescape: Torment
Freespace 2
Homeworld 2
Freespace 2
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
Freespace 2
Rise of Nations
Freespace 2

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Grim Fandango

Thief

Defense Grid for sure!! been loving this one lately and I hope that they are closer to a sequel now, even though they didn't raise the amount they really wanted in their campaign.

to name a few...

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
Battlefield 2
Unreal Tournament 2K4
Psychonauts
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Rescue Raiders

almost all the MOBA games are this..

but.. Steam has Pound And Ground, some Viking game (that is almost exactly the same) and a few more..

Of course none are tanks and solders and heli's.. those where good old days on the apple II...

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
Binary Domain

well..not sure if it DESERVES a sequel... i would like it to have a sequel...

DARKSIDERS 2 :,,,,(

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Xenogears.

Not a "spinoff" or "only spiritually related but different game because of IP rights" bull but a genuine remastering of the original PS1 Xenogears.

Last edited:

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri

This game from Looking Glass rocked for it's time.

Wing Commander series needs something new as well.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Half-Life 2
Max Payne 2

Diablo 2
Diablo 2
Diablo 2.

We'll most likely see the third half life at some point, unfortunately Diablo is over with Lord of Destruction being the last proper example of the game and the franchise is over now.

Last edited:

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri

This game from Looking Glass rocked for it's time.

Wing Commander series needs something new as well.

Terra Nova was awesome! I loved that game, great choice, I completely forgot about it.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Wizadry8 !!!! Even though it was the '8th' game in the series; it is the only one with that open world 'modern' graphics. Dang that game was really good.