Games that portray firearm function exactly as they should be?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Being a gun buff I tend to enjoy firearm accuracies in both video games and movies, and they are usually screwed up in games.

In "The Trenches", (a half life 1 mod) the game counts what rounds you have shot and reloads accordingly when you hit reload. It inserts a stripper clip to replace 5 rounds, or thumbs in single rounds to replace less then 5, instead of just a gross standard reload animation. Also, there is a button (alt fire) to work the action after each shot. If you accidently hit it early it tosses out a live round. And lastly, after firing your last shot, the bolt locks to the rear.

In most games you are dealing with a semi-auto M4 varient or the likes. If you fire 20 rounds out of a 30 round Mag, and hit reload the animation drops a mag and inserts a new one putting you back at 30, when it should actually be 31 since a round is still chambered. Then perhaps you have seven 30 round magazines and fire 25 rounds out of each, then go to reload and magically have all of your ammo consolidated into one magazine.

I know its a minor detail, but if you are going to make a First Person Shooter, at least get the shooting part accurate! They do research to get sounds and models right, so do a tiny bit more research and get the mechanics right too!

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I played that when it first came out and was extremely buggy. Is it even still around?

aznxk3vi17

Jun 13, 2003
Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear used to discard entire clips if you hit reload (if I remember correctly). In Rainbow Six Vegas, guns reload with their clip size+1 to account for the chambered bullet.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
I know what you mean. How is that game... The Trenches?

I don't like in BF2 where if you already have a bullet chambered and go to reload, the guy insserts a new mag and then works the action. I don't really mind keeping track of how many bullets were used in which mag, but I do care about if the player has to rework the action or not.

BF2 makes an attempt to be realistic by discarding every mag no matter how many bullets were used.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Red Orchestra is supposed to be one of the most realistic FPS on the market. Hence why many dislike it, no bunny hopping, spray and praying, or liberal use of ammo.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
wait, you're worried about reload animations and stuff when they can't even figure out how a gun fires or how much damage it can do!?!?!?!?? lets take BF2, one of the most atrocious FPS games in terms of gun mechanics.

the m240 is extremely inaccurate and weak at even point blank ranges.

another game is DoD:S - the recoil is f-ing insane

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Another one is SWAT 4. You switch clips and keep the old one in inventory with however many rounds it had left in it.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
DoD:S is designed such that you must manually control recoil. I think it makes the game much more challenging and fun. The amount of recoil you get off a shot in DoD:S is equivalent to if you were not attempting to control at all. Therefore, you need to learn to drag your mouse down while firing to keep on target, especially when firing full-auto. As the recoil changes from gun to gun and stance to stance, it takes considerable practice to become proficient at all the weapons. As I prefer support (BAR/StG), which has heavy recoil, I find myself overcompensating when I use a SMG. Personally, I think it's a brilliant design.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
it is not lack of research that gets us where we are. Developers know full well how guns work, it is a decision to help the player keep more of their ammo.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Another one is SWAT 4. You switch clips and keep the old one in inventory with however many rounds it had left in it.

Yes, except for the fact that the game doesn't compensate for the chambered round. If I use up all the bullets in the mag (including one in the chamber), the player will switch mags and then chamber a round, showing 30 bullets in the gun. This is correct.

But if I have a bullet chambered and then switch mags, the gun shows 30 bullets.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex
wait, you're worried about reload animations and stuff when they can't even figure out how a gun fires or how much damage it can do!?!?!?!?? lets take BF2, one of the most atrocious FPS games in terms of gun mechanics.

the m240 is extremely inaccurate and weak at even point blank ranges.

another game is DoD:S - the recoil is f-ing insane

wait, where is this response aimed at?

I want BF2 and other gun type games to show correct gun reload-bullet-chamber function because this doesn't affect gameplay at all. Actual bullet damage, bullet drop, recoil, jam, malfunction will drastically affect gameplay.

Run and gun style gameplay will not be hurt from the Rainbow Six (older generation Rainbow 6 games) type of gun reload, chamber animations.

Bottom line: Every gun type game out there will benefit from proper gun reload function. For instance, if there is a round in a chamber, then the reload animation doesn't show the player rechambering a round. And when the fresh mag is inserted, the gun will show bullets in mag + 1 in the chamber. And then if the gun supports bolt lock after the last round fired, then the bolt locks back and the player inserts a fresh mag and chambers a round.

Whether or not the game supports which mags have how many bullets depends on the type of gameplay the developers want. In BF2, it makes sense that players just drop the mag after it's used. In Swat4, it makes sense that the players will put the used mag in their pocket.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I hear the quake 3 railgun works in game just like it does in real life! :D