Games on Sandy Bridge integrated graphics

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
Hello, could someone with experience let me know how these games play on Intel Sandy Bridge integrated graphics ? I'm particularily interested if they work at all and are fully compatible?

Baldur's Gate I&II
Thief II&III
Diablo II
Europa Universalis III
Gothic II&III
Anno 1404
Eve Online
Risen
Ultima online 2d&3d
Witcher I&II
Fallout 3, Oblivion, New Vegas
Mass Effect 2
Mount & Blade: Fire & Sword
Also interested if older games work well

Thank you!

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I have an i3-2100 with HD2000 graphics that I use as a music server and did a little gaming while the GTX 560 in my gaming system was being RMA'd to EVGA.

But so far I've only tried these two:
- Torchlight
- Half-Life 2

Both work great at 1024 x 768, and Half-Life looks about the same as I remember it being on the 560 (no image quality problems).

> Baldur's Gate I&II

Those are 2D games so the 3D video card doesn't really matter, they should be fine.

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
Thank you for your reply DaveSimmons. Good to know HL2 worked well. However, why did you play on a low resolution? Is this the most your display allows or did it lag on higher resolutions? Also good to know there were no image quality problems (that's the most important part to me)

As for Baldur's gate I&II - they are old games, so I'm more interested if they are compatible with integrated SB graphics. Old software sometimes conflicts with newer hardware, especially when it's integrated graphics.

Anyone else had experience?

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I've played Gothic 2 on integrated graphics and it ran great.

The ATI 300m (very underrated IG imo) actually played it smoother than my 5700 LE. Played Morrowind, Wow, and X2 well too.

So have to assume you'd be ok with those.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Hello, could someone with experience let me know how these games play on Intel Sandy Bridge integrated graphics ? I'm particularily interested if they work at all and are fully compatible?

Baldur's Gate I&II - yes, it will work
Thief II&III - II will probably work, III will not or will only run at horribly low settings, unless res is not high, in that case you may have sucess
Diablo II - yes it will run
Europa Universalis III I dont know never played it
Gothic II&III II will run. III? Forget it.
Anno 1404 probably not. At least not well and not at descent res
Eve Online If you want pretty visuals on, and high res, forget it
Risen no
Ultima online 2d&3d dont know
Witcher I&II I? Probably not. II? Are you kidding me?!
Fallout 3, Oblivion, New Vegas No, no and no. At least not if you want to havea descent experience
Mass Effect 2 no
Mount & Blade: Fire & Swordno
Also interested if older games work well

Thank you!

Games I recommend.

Temple of Elemental Evil
Neverwinter Nights 1
Half Life 1 and maybe 2
Dungeon Keeper
Maybe Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War I... If it will run ok.
Command and Conquer 3 (at lowest settigns)

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
You two are clearly misinformed and prejudiced against integrated graphics :{
ibex333 - There is no question about -running- any of these games. All of the newer games -can- be ran by sandy bridge integrated graphics. The question is on what settings and what latency. If you would have read the thread, you would have noticed this link:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/...core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/11

As for games like Oblivion, Fallout3, my guess is you can play them on medium settings with decent fps.
I'm more concerned about compatibility with older games and actual experience with games on integrated graphics. Not wild guesses.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Integrated graphics are pretty tragic...

I have i3 530 and have tried 4500MHD on a laptop. They were both pretty lousy, they could barely run the games i play. From what i can tell AMD's new fusion stuff has much much better integrated graphics than anything intel can offer at the moment.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
No way you can run Oblivion or any of its children on integrated graphics, not unless you put all the automatic options on minimum, and manually tweak the INI settings to even lower values.

Most of the others should run fine except Gothic 3.

Aug 11, 2008
Are you talking about a laptop or desktop?? If you are using a laptop, then you are stuck with the integrated graphics, and your question makes sense.

If you are on a desktop, just stick in a low power discrete card like the 5670, or upgrade the power supply and put in a stronger card.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
You two are clearly misinformed and prejudiced against integrated graphics :{
ibex333 - There is no question about -running- any of these games. All of the newer games -can- be ran by sandy bridge integrated graphics. The question is on what settings and what latency. If you would have read the thread, you would have noticed this link:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/...core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/11

As for games like Oblivion, Fallout3, my guess is you can play them on medium settings with decent fps.
I'm more concerned about compatibility with older games and actual experience with games on integrated graphics. Not wild guesses.

I read the thread and noticed the link, before porting.

You are being more objective than me. Yes....

However, I am not talking about the guy just "running" the games in question. I am talking about him having an awesome experience an coming back for more. Which will NOT happen if he will just "run" these games.

Also which res are you talking about?! 800x600? 1280x1024?

I am gaming at 1920x1200, and even though I was always the advocate of lower res, after trying this, I am never going back.

I gotta admit though. That thread was very interesting. Running Starcraft 2 with integrated gfx? Nice.. (not that SC2 is a good game, off course)