Games like spore but with colonie trade routes

Zakilados

Dec 15, 2013
I am wondering if anyone might know of some games that have the colonizing of planets like spore but can also have trade routes between your own colonies.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Galactic Civilization 2 has planet colonization with trade routes between planets.

There are other 4X space games that do this as well, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
I agree, the best game with "space colonies and trade" is probably Galactic Civilization 2. If you have Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword, get the Final Frontier mod (it might be included in the game). That is Civilization flavor space empires and colonies.

If you just want historical colonies and don't care about space, the Europa Universalis games from Paradox are excellent.

Last edited:

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
Just thought of a few more franchises. If you want a very trade-based game on just a few main colonies, try the Anno games. It is very resource-focused economy between a few main colonies, all about goods distribution and production chains.

A competing franchise would be The Settlers games. Have not played these too much but it seems more about building up a city. So you are in charge of the colony instead of managing lots of colonies.

Neither of these are space games but rather historical colony/settlement sim games. Hope that helps.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
This is probably not what you want, but setting up trade routes to supply your factories in the X series can be quite exhilarating.

If you make smart choices, and the goods at your factories are flying off of the shelves because there's solid demand, and then you set up a factory close by to take advantage of those higher end goods, and you rake in the cash....

It makes you feel like Sam Walton must have felt when Walmart took off.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Distant Worlds has this, but you can't directly control Trade - also there's something new in the works so I'd hold off on this for now until more is known.

Not a space game, but the Patrician series definitely has trade routes that you can set up.