games like L4D

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
anyone know other games like Left 4 Dead, with tons of mobs and swarms of insane nut people trying to pwnage u...

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Uhhh, you mean like Dead Space? (less tons of mobs, lots of ambushing and wtfux moments)

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
Originally posted by: krnmastersgt
Uhhh, you mean like Dead Space? (less tons of mobs, lots of ambushing and wtfux moments)

not really that one... L4D > DS

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: Pelu
anyone know other games like Left 4 Dead, with tons of mobs and swarms of insane nut people trying to pwnage u...

Starcraft maybe? :)

Apart from that i dont know of any FPS games like L4D. Theres garys mod for half life 2 (bought from steam) which has zombie games in it, they play out more like sim ikea though as you spend a good 10 minutes slowly pushing furniture around and making a barricade, or running around outside as your team blocks you out to die with the barricade. Zombie panic source is kind of similar to garys mod zombie games but better, and free, i only played it a few times though. Really all they have in common with L4D are a bunch of people, the source engine and zombies. Might be worth trying out, especially zombie panic source.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Honestly, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a game like L4D in any way that would make you think "wow, this reminds me of L4D!"

There are elements of L4D in other games, incoming horde situations in RTS, coop play in a lot of games obviously, randomization in games like Diablo, and zombies in other games, but there's a lot going on in L4D as a package that's never been done before collectively, and I think that's part of what's so cool about it, regardless of whether people enjoy it or not, it's a pretty innovative, fresh type of gameplay that we haven't seen before.

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
To be honest, I have not played Left 4 Dead, but when you say "fighting tons of hordes of mobs", it reminds me of playing Serious Sam co-op, back in the day. To a lesser degree, Painkiller, or even Doom I/II.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
I can't believe no one said Serious Sam. Very similar to L4D with co-op play and tons and tons of monsters attacking. Serious Sam and SS:Second Encounter are classics. The sequel changed something and really didn't have the same feel. They will run on any machine these days (I used to play on my work laptop while traveling a couple years ago) and, cough, don't have any copy protection and can be found at the usual locations.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: DanDeighan
To be honest, I have not played Left 4 Dead, but when you say "fighting tons of hordes of mobs", it reminds me of playing Serious Sam co-op, back in the day. To a lesser degree, Painkiller, or even Doom I/II.

That's true, Serious Sam did have the whole horde attack thing going on, it just didn't randomize it, they always spawned from the same locations and pretty much always in plain view, they just like teleported in. Still one of my favorite games of all the time tho, at least the PC version.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
L4D is hardly that random. Maybe they swarm at point A instead of point B, but you can always know where they are going to come from pretty much. There really isn't that much variety in it.
Serious Sam (+2) have less randomisation, but they are immense fun.
If you want mindless co op shooting fun, Serious Sam is great.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Yup, Painkiller, Serious Sam, Evil Dead: Regeneration. I played Cold Fear recently and it was pretty good, but it didn't have hordes of zombies like in L4D though.

I haven't played it, but does CoD4 Zombie Mod come close to L4D's gameplay?

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
serious sam's hardest level is insane. the mobs are all invisible until you fire your gun. so basically you turn your godmode on and keep firing.

Ctrackstar126

Jul 14, 2005
COD4 mod isnt the same. One person starts out as a zombie and he has to "knife" the other team. When he knifes one person they turn and they have to do the same. The round ends when either time runs out or all of the survivors become zombies. Its actually pretty fun.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Originally posted by: Ctrackstar126
COD4 mod isnt the same. One person starts out as a zombie and he has to "knife" the other team. When he knifes one person they turn and they have to do the same. The round ends when either time runs out or all of the survivors become zombies. Its actually pretty fun.

Oh, okay!

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
RE4 is kind of similar, but the feeling is sort of different. However, you are still being swarmed by enemies (zombies to boot).

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Lonyo
L4D is hardly that random. Maybe they swarm at point A instead of point B, but you can always know where they are going to come from pretty much. There really isn't that much variety in it.
Serious Sam (+2) have less randomisation, but they are immense fun.
If you want mindless co op shooting fun, Serious Sam is great.

If you stand still long enough you can get a horde at any location on the level, I'd say that's pretty random. The only non-random thing is that you couldn't say... randomly get 5 hordes in a row until the game crashed. That'd probably be a bad thing. Horde's are predictable simply because there is only so much time between rushes so once you've killed a rush you are basically back into "move and expect the next rush". If the music didn't change and rushes were more subtle, I bet they'd feel a lot more random.