games in mame fall mainly in the plain..

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I have a lot of free time right now, in part because my workplace is closed. As such, I thought I might catch up playing some old arcade games in MAME. About 20 years ago, when I played games in DOS, it seemed like 80% of them worked fine.

Now I've noticed that 80% of the ones I download seem to report missing files, and won't work. I have never been able to get Defender or Berserk to work, or example.

Is this typical? I'm mostly trying arcade games from about 1979 to 1986 or so - older and simpler ones.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Not sure if this thread will stay open but:

As time goes on I notice less and less compatibility with emulators. The programmers arent keeping up with Windows releases, probably because they have small teams, like 1,2, or 3 people.
Similarly, those remake projects move very slowly because they are recreating whole games with just a dozen guys.
The Morrowind remake for Oblivion took so long they eventually had to stop and restart in Skyrim. That took so long they had to stop and redo all their work for Skyrim 64. They are still working on it.
I wish Bethesda would just go ahead and rebuild the old games themselves.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Here are a bunch of 80s games free online

http://www.free80sarcade.com/defender.php

and I don't think these are in issue since it is almost all abandonware at this point. I'll let the admins be the final judges of whether this is kosher to post here or not. I think it is fine personally.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I have a lot of free time right now, in part because my workplace is closed. As such, I thought I might catch up playing some old arcade games in MAME. About 20 years ago, when I played games in DOS, it seemed like 80% of them worked fine.

Now I've noticed that 80% of the ones I download seem to report missing files, and won't work. I have never been able to get Defender or Berserk to work, or example.

Is this typical? I'm mostly trying arcade games from about 1979 to 1986 or so - older and simpler ones.
MAME is constantly updated and so are the rom dumps,the problem is that MAME is moving on from older and less accurate rom dumps.
You will have to find new roms or use the same old mame.exe you used 20 years ago.
There are also programs that will search through all your roms and try to fix them for newer MAME versions.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
MAME is constantly updated and so are the rom dumps,the problem is that MAME is moving on from older and less accurate rom dumps.
You will have to find new roms or use the same old mame.exe you used 20 years ago.
There are also programs that will search through all your roms and try to fix them for newer MAME versions.

Wow, that is pretty complex. I did finally get Defender to load. I can see and hear it, but I can only move the ship up and down, not left and right.
It's annoying to be so close finally, but yet be unable to play the game.

Ah well, at least I have the Arcade1up Space Invaders arcade that I bought last month.

Feb 4, 2009
Here are a bunch of 80s games free online

http://www.free80sarcade.com/defender.php

and I don't think these are in issue since it is almost all abandonware at this point. I'll let the admins be the final judges of whether this is kosher to post here or not. I think it is fine personally.

I’m with you on this, old game mame’s are either abandoned or it is well known they exist and the copyright holders choose to do nothing. This statement only applies to games you have no ability to buy.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Wow, that is pretty complex. I did finally get Defender to load. I can see and hear it, but I can only move the ship up and down, not left and right.
It's annoying to be so close finally, but yet be unable to play the game.

Ah well, at least I have the Arcade1up Space Invaders arcade that I bought last month.
You can get into the settings by pressing the TAB key while mame is running,there you can adjust all the controls.