Gamersgate releases VOID, an ad-driven service that lets you play games for free

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
http://www.gamersgate.com/VOID

The idea is that you download and install any game from the VOID catalog, watch a 60-second advertisement, and then play your free game. So basically you have an extra 60 seconds to take a piss or get a drink before you start playing. Pretty simple.

Currently their selection is quite limited; most of the games are older or low-quality, but there are also few gems on there. To name a few:

• King's Bounty
  • Risen
  • Men of War
  • Flatout
  • Jagged Alliance 2
  • UFO: Extraterrestrials
  • Many of Paradox's grand strategy games (Hearts of Iron, Europa, Crusader Kings)
  • I also personally recommend Darkness Within as a creepy horror/adventure game, but that's just me

You start with 1 free slot, meaning you can only play 1 game at a time. Think of it basically as an unlimited free rental. Over time their catalog of available titles should hopefully expand, as it gets more popular.

What do you guys think?

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
If poor enough it's possibly worth the hassle and potential privacy and security concerns. Personally I would rather buy those games for a buck or two during sales and eat a few meals of ramen each year.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Looks like most of the same games Gamefly now has available in their program. Have to have a sub but no ads to watch.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I think it's a great business idea, and a great way to appeal to those who are too cheap/too poor to actually buy games. As far as I know there's no other DD site that has a service like this.