Gamers could use this info: PC or console?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mamere782

Oct 10, 2017
Never played on a console. They are cheaper, but sometimes buyer is locked in to "exclusive" games only available on x box or PS4 which isn't a big deal I guess
I prefer PC for 2 reasons:
1. Build my own machine...update as I want
2. Love mods...Nexus for graphical updating, game play changes, etc

FreshBross

Jul 30, 2018
I don’t think you know what HDR is then. Go look up videos about HDR video. It’s simply a better picture.

No it's not. I suggest you study it further, like actually study and learn about High Dynamic Range specifically for video. It doesn't simply make it a better picture, especially if you don't have a HDR standard display. It's still in its' infancy and for now, it's mainly a contrast video process that makes bright colors brighter, and dark colors darker, and often makes everything shine.. like plastic, which is where the comparison is often used from.

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-hdr-works/

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
No it's not. I suggest you study it further, like actually study and learn about High Dynamic Range specifically for video. It doesn't simply make it a better picture, especially if you don't have a HDR standard display. It's still in its' infancy and for now, it's mainly a contrast video process that makes bright colors brighter, and dark colors darker, and often makes everything shine.. like plastic, which is where the comparison is often used from.

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-hdr-works/
Did you read your own article? You need a HDR display to show HDR video. Otherwise you have to undergo tone mapping which produces the weird plastic images you complain about. Its a tone mapping issue, not a HDR issue. Some may complain about it just because they are used the the low range of cinema, just like people like 24fps cinema for some reason. But like 60fps video, real HDR is closer to reality.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i think it mostly comes down to what system(s) your friends use, and where you want to play in your house. exceptions: any platform-exclusive game.

oddly enough the advantage of set it and forget with consoles is slowly going away, while PC games are becoming much easier to install/maintain with steam, origin, GoG, etc. the convergence is happening slowly but surely.