gamefly client gets the axe...

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Hmm, seems their client is now gone, and people now have to use the website to access their games.

They also offer a 25% coupon off any game, so check your e-mails, so could get some nice games for 25% extra off--just make sure it is steamable, since I have no idea how the web client is supposed to work. :)

I think the only reason I have a account with them is that they bought D2D out...

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I'm glad they got rid of it, but I will say, the client wasn't actually that bad the few times I had to use it.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Makes me a bit nervous. I have like 20 games with them.

I remember when Gametap's awesome client disappeared overnight, and we were left with a crappy browser based system. I had just renewed for a year, and tried forever to get my money back. Don't think I ever did.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I went to the site to check on things. It took me for ever to even find my games.

I had to go to "my systems", and then "purchase history" and they were listed there. I tried downloading a few games and got a weird message "404 this page died of cholera", or something.

Finally I tried Deus Ex:GotY and it asked me if I wanted to use their downloader. I clicked "ok", it installed, and my games were all listed there.

Talk about a round about way to find things.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Interesting.

The one game I downloaded and tried, TDU, is borked. Apparently you have to be logged in to their servers to get ANY of the content; none of it is local. Luckily I have the disc version, so it's not that big of a deal for me if I feel like replaying it.

Still - bad game. bad gamefly.

I'm going to try another one.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Interesting.

The one game I downloaded and tried, TDU, is borked. Apparently you have to be logged in to their servers to get ANY of the content; none of it is local. Luckily I have the disc version, so it's not that big of a deal for me if I feel like replaying it.

Still - bad game. bad gamefly.

I'm going to try another one.

Yuck! I hope that isn't that way for all games, that would royally suck.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Another reason why DRM sucks. I know steam is DRM in itself but when all the other company jumped on creating their own "launcher"... anyone surprised most of them failed miserably?