GameBoy Advance Sp selling 110000 units a week!

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Artical posted a few posts down
I dont think nintendo will have to make any other consoles! the Sp is selling like hotcakes.
And nintendo now has the top 3 highest selling games in the industry this year. If they can only keep it up

Post the article, I'm not registering just to be bombarded with advertisements.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
most everyone says Nintendo games are kiddie like.

I personally like em. Yes some might be kiddish but they're like all sequels to past time classics.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Originally posted by: SammySon

my bad, didnt realize that needed to register... and i have never gotten an advertisment with this membership
[06.09.03]

Game Boy Advance SP Hits Million-Unit Sales Mark
Nintendo announced today that the Game Boy Advance SP has sold 1.1 million units in America in the ten weeks since its introduction. Nintendo also announced that The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker for the GameCube, and both Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire for Game Boy Advance have reached one million unit-seller status since their March launch dates, and are the industry's three best selling games thus far in 2003

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
geez, personally i think 100$ is kinda steep for the SP, ahh well, but im not much of a gamer so meh

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
if Nintendo is averaging $100 per unit on the GBA SP that means that in just 10 weeks off of only GBA SP sales (no games, no normal GBA, no GC) they have made $110,000,000. And they have made half that much just off Wind Waker alone... seems they arent going anywhere

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Glitchny

my bad, didnt realize that needed to register... and i have never gotten an advertisment with this membership
[06.09.03]

Nintendo announced today that the Game Boy Advance SP has sold 1.1 million units in America in the ten weeks since its introduction. Nintendo also announced that The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker for the GameCube, and both Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire for Game Boy Advance have reached one million unit-seller status since their March launch dates, and are the industry's three best selling games thus far in 2003

Your original claim is a bit misleading. They never talk about selling 110000 units per week. For all we know half those sales might have come in less then a week. So it?s foolish to assume they will sell 110000 a week. Anyway, that?s still impressive. Maybe I can get the older GB advance for a cheap price now. :D BTW, didn?t PS2 sold more then a million in its first day?

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Originally posted by: SSP

[06.09.03]

Your original claim is a bit misleading. They never talk about selling 110000 units per week. For all we know half those sales might have come in less then a week. So it?s foolish to assume they will sell 110000 a week. Anyway, that?s still impressive. Maybe I can get the older GB advance for a cheap price now. :D BTW, didn?t PS2 sold more then a million in its first day?

I averaged the total units sold, i figured that it would be acceptable.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
why u'd want an old one i dnno. u can't change buttons that wear out. no light is just horrible.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Originally posted by: mpitts
Originally posted by: brunswickite
Sony's portable is coming out soon, that should be interesting

If by soon you mean over a year from now, then OK.

good point, i just want to see how it fares against the GBA or the next iteration of the GB, everything else has failed to move it from dominating the handheld market... i dont think sony will be able to either

Smolek

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: brunswickite
Sony's portable is coming out soon, that should be interesting

true gotta see how they price it

Im assuming it will be in the 100.00 price range. The machine doesnt come out until Holiday 2004 though so it has some time to go and by that time any prospective handheld gamer will have probably picked up an SP by then.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I wonder if Sony will push Nintendo out of the way in the handheld market, just as it did with the console. Nintendo better sell those GBA SP fast and make as much money as possible, because the lean years are ahead. The Gamecube is already facing stiff competition and trailing behind MS, even when its games are better than the XBOX IMHO.

Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Pocatello
I wonder if Sony will push Nintendo out of the way in the handheld market, just as it did with the console. Nintendo better sell those GBA SP fast and make as much money as possible, because the lean years are ahead. The Gamecube is already facing stiff competition and trailing behind MS, even when its games are better than the XBOX IMHO.

Nintendo has a huge advantage in that everything is backwards portable - every GB game ever made is playable on the SP. I don't know what format the Sony portable will be (if it will be cartridge based or if it'll play old PS1 cds or what) but Sony has a huge uphill climb with their portable. It'll be successful to a certain degree but nothing like the @$$ raping that the PS1 was to the N64 or the PS2 is to the XBox/GC. (N64 was doomed with it's cartridge format, more expensive games, and the fact that it came out a year later. PS2 had the advantage of backwards compatibility as well as a year head start)

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000

The one thing that Nintendo's GameBoy has that the sony handheld won't have is a library of over 1000 games available for it. It is backwards compatable with all the previous games published. As a result, a person who already owns a GameBoy and a collection of games is much more likely to buy the next iteration of GameBoy hardware than the Sony hardware.

Now, if Nintendo could release another handheld at approximately the same time Sony does (not a year or even a half year later), I think Nintendo could push Sony right back out of the handheld market.

snik

Jan 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Angrymarshmello

Nintendo has a huge advantage in that everything is backwards portable - every GB game ever made is playable on the SP. I don't know what format the Sony portable will be (if it will be cartridge based or if it'll play old PS1 cds or what) but Sony has a huge uphill climb with their portable. It'll be successful to a certain degree but nothing like the @$$ raping that the PS1 was to the N64 or the PS2 is to the XBox/GC. (N64 was doomed with it's cartridge format, more expensive games, and the fact that it came out a year later. PS2 had the advantage of backwards compatibility as well as a year head start)

And remember the launch price of N64 games? My friend bought NBA Hangtime for $90 :Q I wanted to buy Cruisn' USA and Funcoland wanted $99.99 for the game.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002

IIRC the new sony handheld will use a format somewhat like Minidisks. And Sony will not puch nintendo out of the handheld market since making the 100 dollar price point may be harder for them sicne they are not as experienced as Nintendo. The GBA will be hard to upset since the only game that doesnt work on the SP is Kirbys tilt and tumble (the device that detects how the cartridge is oriented reads backwards cause where the cartridge goes). Sony will have to get support from everyone to make games fore their system while nintendo can just keep pulling classic titles out of the original GB library

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Originally posted by: rgwalt

The one thing that Nintendo's GameBoy has that the sony handheld won't have is a library of over 1000 games available for it. It is backwards compatable with all the previous games published. As a result, a person who already owns a GameBoy and a collection of games is much more likely to buy the next iteration of GameBoy hardware than the Sony hardware.

Now, if Nintendo could release another handheld at approximately the same time Sony does (not a year or even a half year later), I think Nintendo could push Sony right back out of the handheld market.

Agreed and the GBA has been out for a little while now so I wouldnt doubt that they are already working on a sucessor, possibly with integrated Bluetooth... that would be sweet

Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: snik

And remember the launch price of N64 games? My friend bought NBA Hangtime for $90 :Q I wanted to buy Cruisn' USA and Funcoland wanted $99.99 for the game.

Holy $hit! I thought it was $60 debut price?

snik

Jan 6, 2003

Maybe it's a regional thing? This was in Chicago. Games were limited too.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

Whoa where were you buying!!! It was around $55-60