Game Schools

Feb 4, 2005
I'd like to make games. I understand the noob factors, and that you have to work hard, don't just play for a living and it's not all about making the "best game ever." That being said... 4 year California University/State school, or something like the University of Advancing Technology? StudentsReview.com TRASHED Full Sail, so now I'm at a loss as to where to apply. I'm about to finish Community College... should I just transfer and quit bitching? I'm trolling gamasutra.com at the moment... Thanks...

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
It probably depends on what you want to do.
Do you want to make artwork in the games, or do you want to code the games?

Either way, I doubt going to a 4 year school could be a bad thing.

ruffilb

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2005
Originally posted by: cRazYdood
It probably depends on what you want to do.
Do you want to make artwork in the games, or do you want to code the games?

Either way, I doubt going to a 4 year school could be a bad thing.

When in doubt, go to a nice 4 year school.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
> It probably depends on what you want to do.

Exactly. GameSchoolX would not teach you to write good dialogue, an English degree would help more with that. GSX can teach you to use a modelling tool, but not to be an artist. GSX will give you a crash course in programming but without the depth of a real CS degree.

4 year college + spending nights and weekends working on mods might be a better choice than GameSchoolX especially if you want to work up to a higher position.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
Just go work for a thinktank.
They are always thinking up high-tech games to fvck us over :D

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Also a gaming boot camp leaves you without a plan B if you decide that you don't like the game factory life.

With a 4-year degree in your area you can always move to other work in that field.