Game Recording | Compression Settings for Youtube uploads

Kratos47

Feb 11, 2014
Hey guys,

To cut long story short i'm looking for means to upload my recorded gameplays on youtube with best quality : smallest file size ratio in 720p settings.

Right now i'm playing Shadow of Mordor and Far Cry4 and i'm hoping in making their complete walkthroughs, so before i get heavily invested in that i need to nail down my recording\encoding methods and make sure i'm doing it right.

My system specs are:
1) CPU: i7 920 D0 OCed at 4.0 GHz.
2) RAM: 6GB @ 2000 MHz
3) GPU: ASUS R9-280x-DC2T-GDDR5 (3GB VRAM)
4) My resolution: 1600x900

Other details:
1) Game installed on SSD and being recorded on other HDD.
2) For recording i'm using Bandicam with these settings:
  • MP4
  • 1600x900
  • H.264 Codec with AMD APP
  • FPS: 60
  • Keyframe Interval: 60
  • Quality 100
  • Audio (stereo, 48000 Hz, codec AAC, Bitrate 192)
So my one recording sample where i played shadow of mordor for about 13½ minutes results in 9.26GB, total bitrate this file has is 100090kbps. So IMO this sample is huge, way smaller than Fraps btw, and hence i'm looking for some method to further compress it.

I have Adobe Media Encoder and Handbrake softwares but i'm just cluecless about the settings. Can anyone help with this, link me a guide or something?

I'm hoping there is away to reduce 13 mins of gameplay into 250-300 Megabytes with 720p quality.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
I'm hoping there is away to reduce 13 mins of gameplay into 250-300 Megabytes with 720p quality.

Well, Handbrake will allow you to set a target file size for an encode, so there's that. Other than that, I'd set the quality slider down a few notches because Youtube reduces the quality quite a bit anyway.

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
I like to do quite a bit of recording for my gameplays as well (but only few of them make it to Youtube anyway due to my brilliant upload speeds) but I don't think using Bandicam is a good idea for recording game play videos. I used to use Fraps, but then saw somewhere someone recommending Dxtory and I mainly use that now for recording. I record at 720p, at 30 FPS (because using any more than 30 is meaningless as Youtube will eventually decrease it to 30 frames) and Lagarith Loseless as Codec. You could try that.

And for cutting and joining I use VirtualDub (I don't compress anything there at all, just for cutting etc.), and then to actually make it smaller in size I use Handbrake (as the above user said), and keep the slider at 23-26 depending on the size of my videos.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
I've been using OBS as of late. Visuals are pretty good and the files are much smaller than the super high quality Afterburner recordings I typically would make. It's a bit of a pain to set everything up at first, but once configured, the quality is pretty comparable with a huge reduction in file size compared to those lossless Afterburner recordings I'd make.

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
I like to do quite a bit of recording for my gameplays as well (but only few of them make it to Youtube anyway due to my brilliant upload speeds) but I don't think using Bandicam is a good idea for recording game play videos. I used to use Fraps, but then saw somewhere someone recommending Dxtory and I mainly use that now for recording. I record at 720p, at 30 FPS (because using any more than 30 is meaningless as Youtube will eventually decrease it to 30 frames) and Lagarith Loseless as Codec. You could try that.

And for cutting and joining I use VirtualDub (I don't compress anything there at all, just for cutting etc.), and then to actually make it smaller in size I use Handbrake (as the above user said), and keep the slider at 23-26 depending on the size of my videos.

Doesn't YouTube allow 60fps now?

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
Doesn't YouTube allow 60fps now?
I had no idea about this! Just was watching a review video of Erica today and found that there is indeed support for 60 FPS now! WOW!

Thanks for mentioning that. Man what a difference.

PS: So I guess its time for me to change the game recording settings on Dxtory to 60 frames now. Oh wait, my old GPU can't even push to 60 nowadays :(