Game Recommendation - Magic

jdjbuffalo

Oct 26, 2000
Can I get a game recommendation for something with magic users?

I'm looking for something where you play as a wizard and it has at least descent graphics (nothing from 5 years ago). It doesn't have to be new but no more than a few years old.

In most D&D, RPG or other similar games I will typically play as a magical user.

I'd take Diablo 3 if I could get Beta access or it was released. Same for Torchlight 2.

Here are some games that I've played that are what I'm looking for:
- Diablo 1 & 2
- Titan Quest
- Torchlight
- Dragon Age 1 & 2

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm not sure about these, but likely candidates: Witcher 1&2, Skyrim, Divinity II, Risen.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
dragon knight saga (dinviinty 2) is probably the best bet; style is closest to dragon age 2 (single player perspective); I think it is a better game but lacks the deep story telling cut sceens found in dragon age 1/dragon age 2.

Probalby the best bet for diablo 2/titan quest type game is grim's dawn (not out yet); not too sure how torchlight 2 or diablo 3 will turn out.
-
Hum. I would not recommend skyrim given your list of games; risen might be ok - but it is not as good as dks so why bother ? Witcher 2 is good but there is no magic user in the same sense as the games you listed.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I've felt there should be a mage game made that is all about mages, the way 'thief' was made for thieves, rather than it being 'one of the classes'.

Elemental also seems to be a 'mage game' but not great reviews - but available under $10 on Amazon.

The OP wasn't asking for it but of course MMO's have a ton of mage gameplay.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
King's Bounty - The Legend and - Armored Princess can be played with a spellcaster hero. They aren't really RPGs but you get to cast many spells of mass destruction.

If you play as a Consular or Inquisitor in Star Wars TOR you're a space wizard samurai :)

Ig

Mar 29, 2001
Magicka is a diablo style game and you can only play a mage.

jdjbuffalo

Oct 26, 2000
Thanks for all the recommendations.

I'm not sure about these, but likely candidates: Witcher 1&2, Skyrim, Divinity II, Risen.

I've felt there should be a mage game made that is all about mages, the way 'thief' was made for thieves, rather than it being 'one of the classes'.

Elemental also seems to be a 'mage game' but not great reviews - but available under $10 on Amazon.

The OP wasn't asking for it but of course MMO's have a ton of mage gameplay.

Divinity II is along the lines of what I was looking for. But after playing the demo, I'm not sure I like it well enough.

I also played the demo for Risen and didn't really like it.

I'm not sure what to make of Witcher 1 & 2. I've heard some good things about it, I'm just not sure I'd like it. There isn't a demo, so I don't have a good feel for what to expect.

I played Oblivion for a few hours and didn't like it. There is similar hype around Skyrim and I'm doubting I'll like this one either. I might give it another look after it's dropped in price.

I would love to play a mage game that was all about mages like Thief was all about thiefs.

Elemental looks like a train wreck. Given the massive stability issues, I don't even want to try this one.

I'm trying to avoid MMOs. They take up too much time.

dragon knight saga (dinviinty 2) is probably the best bet; style is closest to dragon age 2 (single player perspective); I think it is a better game but lacks the deep story telling cut sceens found in dragon age 1/dragon age 2.

Probalby the best bet for diablo 2/titan quest type game is grim's dawn (not out yet); not too sure how torchlight 2 or diablo 3 will turn out.
-
Hum. I would not recommend skyrim given your list of games; risen might be ok - but it is not as good as dks so why bother ? Witcher 2 is good but there is no magic user in the same sense as the games you listed.
I have been looking forward to Grim Dawn but I think Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 will be out before it comes out.

You2 can you please explain more about Witcher 2 and the "no magic user"? There isn't a demo of this game so it's harder for me to get a feel for what to expect.

King's Bounty - The Legend and - Armored Princess can be played with a spellcaster hero. They aren't really RPGs but you get to cast many spells of mass destruction.

If you play as a Consular or Inquisitor in Star Wars TOR you're a space wizard samurai :)

King's Bounty doesn't seem like the kind of game I'm looking for.

I played the TOR beta and I thought it was ok. But I got too much of the same vibe I had with WOW. I want to avoid that. I really enjoyed KOTOR I and II (even though it wasn't 100% complete). I was hoping TOR would be close to that but I didn't get the same feeling that I got out of the KOTOR games.

Magicka is a diablo style game and you can only play a mage.

Magicka was a fun mage only game. However, I've already played that one out and I am looking for something with some better graphics and more of a 1st or 3rd person view, not an overhead "sky" view. Also, I would prefer something with some more story development.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
witcher 2 is primarly a sword user. There is very little magic; mostly in the form of sleigh of hand. One thing that I really liked about witcher 2 was the use of bombs (think hand grenades of a sort).

I actually thought I would dislike divinity 2 from the demo; but the full game is much better. Highly recommended.
-
Vaguely I think there are some indies games that would fit the bill (avaldon? avadon? soemthing like that - it has a style similar to bg 2 - basic party base overhead - slow pace - cant' really comment because i only played a couple of hours of the demo; I think it is like $5 on steam)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Elemental isnt' as bad as people say.

Still, I haven't played it in quite some time. I thoroughly enjoyed it while playing through its broken phase.

Divinity II is pretty good for this, but aside from 1 or two truly powerful skills, most of the magic skill sets aren't very good (serious issues with diminishing returns as you level up). However, I've had good fun playing a dual-weilding battle mage, which actually works in this game, unlike most other skill and class-based games where dividing such skills would be a bad idea.

Even though you don't like MMO, I have to recommend Guild Wars (greater than 5 years old, but still looks damn good for the most part. Also, you don't really have to play with others if you don't want to. but it's great to have help and economy available when you need it). The magic classes are quite excellent, and the play is simply fun as hell. Mesmer is a really unique caster class that I haven't run across anywhere else, and Elementalist has always been fun to just watch stuff blow up (not as overpowered as it used to pay--Mesmer is currently the de-facto pain-bringer, it seems).

It's the game that turned me on to magic classes above all others. Constructing builds is quite fun, and if you start with Nightfall of Factions, it really doesn't take as long as you think to get going. It can be had for cheap these days (plus--no monthly subscription, with none of the "free-to-play" annoyances).

You really should consider it. Nightfall is quite an excellent game. (Though one does need access to all of them to really get some great skill sets going. The trilogy can often be had for $30 or less). Prophecies, the first campaign, takes an ass-long time to progress for noobs, and without serious help. The others a re a breeze to max level.