Game recommendation for slow laptop? Halo 1 maybe?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I have a few days off and I'm looking for a game to play through (RTS, FPS, RPG). I was big into games 10-15 years ago and haven't played very much since. When I have a 3-day weekend or extended vacation I like to pick something up and play through it, but I don't have time to play games on a regular basis. In the past couple of years I've re-played through: Call of Duty 1, Call of Duty United Offensive, Deus X 1, Deus X Invisible War, Unreal Tournament 99, Unreal II, SW KoToR 1 and 2, Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Starcraft, and Minecraft.

I was thinking either Halo 1 or Star Trek Armada, but I am open to other suggestions that would work on my laptop. My only system at the moment is a laptop.

Sandy Bridge i5-2467 M 1.6ghz up to 2.3 ghz
Intel HD 3000 graphics
4 GB DDR3 667 mhz
Win 10

Do you guys think Halo 1 or Star Trek Armada would run at decent frame rate at 1440x900? Or would I get bullshit FPS drops when thousands of needler crystals and ferengi friggates were swarming me?

I know these games are pretty old but I ask because I've been playing the original call of duty united offensive multiplayer on my desktop Athlon II X4 system with a RADEON HD 5450 and sometimes even then I get stutters despite the fact that the minimum requirements for COD are like 700mhz processor and 32MB gfx card.

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Star Trek Armada was fun, but I've had trouble running it on anything newer than XP. It works, but the sounds is pretty borked.

My vote goes with Halo in that case. A classic.

Star Wars Pod Racer was a good game I ran on a crappy laptop some years ago.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
I have a few days off and I'm looking for a game to play through (RTS, FPS, RPG). I was big into games 10-15 years ago and haven't played very much since. When I have a 3-day weekend or extended vacation I like to pick something up and play through it, but I don't have time to play games on a regular basis. In the past couple of years I've re-played through: Call of Duty 1, Call of Duty United Offensive, Deus X 1, Deus X Invisible War, Unreal Tournament 99, Unreal II, SW KoToR 1 and 2, Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Starcraft, and Minecraft.

I was thinking either Halo 1 or Star Trek Armada, but I am open to other suggestions that would work on my laptop. My only system at the moment is a laptop.

Sandy Bridge i5-2467 M 1.6ghz up to 2.3 ghz
Intel HD 3000 graphics
4 GB DDR3 667 mhz
Win 10

Do you guys think Halo 1 or Star Trek Armada would run at decent frame rate at 1440x900? Or would I get bullshit FPS drops when thousands of needler crystals and ferengi friggates were swarming me?

I know these games are pretty old but I ask because I've been playing the original call of duty united offensive multiplayer on my desktop Athlon II X4 system with a RADEON HD 5450 and sometimes even then I get stutters despite the fact that the minimum requirements for COD are like 700mhz processor and 32MB gfx card.

The stutters are most probably due to a different reason and not the 5450. The original call of duty game runs nicely on an Intel GMA 4500 MHD which is far, far slower than a Radeon 5450.

On my laptop's Radeon 5470 (a 750 MHz 5450), Source engine games are easily playable at mid-high settings at 720P resolutions. An Intel HD 3000 should be not far behind in performance. Left 4 Dead (2), Portal, Counter Strike (GO), Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2, etc are all (read: should be) easily playable with an HD 3000 with reduced settings.

Last edited:

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I didn't notice Dragon Age: Origins in your list. It should run perfectly acceptable on an i5-2467 and HD3000.

Aug 11, 2008
Hmm. Wondered why it was clocked so low. It is only a 17 watt processor, so you will be pretty limited.

Torchlight 1 or 2 should play nice. Titan Quest and its expansion Immortal Throne are both great games. Any of the older RTS games like Age of Empires or Rise of Nations should run fine. All the old Bioware RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, etc. are great games. A few of them have "modernized" versions on steam, although the graphics are still pretty crude.

If you are not familiar with it, you might want to check out Good Old Games online. They specialize in older games, most of which should run on almost anything.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Star Trek Armada was fun, but I've had trouble running it on anything newer than XP. It works, but the sounds is pretty borked.

My vote goes with Halo in that case. A classic.

Star Wars Pod Racer was a good game I ran on a crappy laptop some years ago.
Ah, you're right, neither Armada 1 nor 2 seem to play well with Win 10. Playing without sound would not be right, not being able to move the Klingon and hear them say "revenge is a dish best served cold!"

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
on my ROG 5470 I am playing the Mass Effect series with no problems, though the drivers for the 5470 are updated. Halo was a great game as well. I also play DAO fine, Return to Castle Wolfenstein too.

The Wife

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Renowned Explorers! Great little game where you explore the world with the goal of being the most renowned explorer. The game offers a great challenge and lots of ways to improve your team and abilities. Tech Tree, Markets, Helpers anditems for your crew.

Combat system is really great. You can choose the way you want to fight and some fights will give you bonuses is you finish the encounter a certain way. you can fight agressively or alter the mood of your enemies so they'll flee or rally to your cause and abandon the fight.

Four different classes: Scouts, Scientists, Fighters and Speaker. You form a group of 3 Explorers with one Leader that get some bonus. You also have to choose your teamates so they are compatible and complement each others well.

Not that expensive and really deep and fun game.