Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 511 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Good.

shit was way too fucking long as it is. Kill all the bullshit that doesn't matter and get on with the story already.

I'm a bit mixed on it. At times, it does feel jarringly short, and that's mostly because of how the show would divide time among all of its story lines. Before, when someone set out on a journey, they would maybe take 1-2 episode before picking back up with that person. That gave us a good sense of time passage "in that world", but it did suck when that was the story that you cared about the most. Right now, we only have four stories: Dany, Jon, Winterfel and Cersei. Sometimes, those stories are combined together (Dany + Jon, Jon + Winterfel), but for a bit, they've been fairly separate.

The dragons arriving in the same episode made for some cool TV, but man... it was a real WTF when it comes to timetables. They literally had Gendry run back to the wall, send a raven, and have Dany fly up there in enough time so they didn't starve or freeze to death. :eek:

EDIT:

ha ha, my sentiments exactly. Arthas; The original king in the north.

The Northrend remembers...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
DHuAZOhVwAAJ6f6.jpg

Reactions: purbeast0

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I'm a bit mixed on it. At times, it does feel jarringly short, and that's mostly because of how the show would divide time among all of its story lines. Before, when someone set out on a journey, they would maybe take 1-2 episode before picking back up with that person. That gave us a good sense of time passage "in that world", but it did suck when that was the story that you cared about the most. Right now, we only have four stories: Dany, Jon, Winterfel and Cersei. Sometimes, those stories are combined together (Dany + Jon, Jon + Winterfel), but for a bit, they've been fairly separate.

The dragons arriving in the same episode made for some cool TV, but man... it was a real WTF when it comes to timetables. They literally had Gendry run back to the wall, send a raven, and have Dany fly up there in enough time so they didn't starve or freeze to death. :eek:

EDIT:

The Northrend remembers...
Am I the only one wondering what a retarded ass plan it was to go into the North to get a freakin' zombie to present to Cersei? As if they would present it to her and she would be all "You know what, you're right. Let's let bygones and bygones and team together to deal with this greater threat."? And it seems impossibly hard to swallow that Ginger, Sir Friend zone, the hound, Gendry and the lords of light guys would have paths that all lead to teaming up for this shit.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Am I the only one wondering what a retarded ass plan it was to go into the North to get a freakin' zombie to present to Cersei? As if they would present it to her and she would be all "You know what, you're right. Let's let bygones and bygones and team together to deal with this greater threat."? And it seems impossibly hard to swallow that Ginger, Sir Friend zone, the hound, Gendry and the lords of light guys would have paths that all lead to teaming up for this shit.

At this point, it all seems like they're just trying to finish things off. All the better I say. So many theories floating around, it seems like the writers don't even have to rack their brains anymore. Just pick the most Hollywood like theory and be done with it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The dialog between the guys walking in the north at the beginning of the episode was great. The hound and the ginger's chat had me LOL'ing a bit.

Reactions: PottedMeat

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Why not both, alternatively dry ice or LN2 :beercheers:

I bet there will be an episode somewhere down the line with both dragons breathing fire and ice towards each other. Will be silly for GOT to include something like that but the way it's going so far, I wont be too surprised.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Why not both, alternatively dry ice or LN2 :beercheers:

That shit would sublimate or evaporate as soon as it left the dragon's mouth and hit the air. It would be like coughing slightly chilly smoke with a 5 foot range, at best. It would have to be some sort of magic ice breath. :D

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Exciting season, but the storytelling is completely dead. They just see the finish line now and nothing else.

The whole battle was stupid. And the time issues are insulting.
Sansa, who has called Littlefinger out on his lies and deceitfulness in every episode this season now just buys every word he says hook line and sinker?
Arya is just a prick?

Still love it, but it's really gone down hill I think.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
DHwF1zbXsAAs2wN.jpg

Pacing of this season is consequence of errors in the previous seasons. The main attraction of the show to me was the story that broke the rules of conventional TV. Seasons 3 & 4 were the highlights for me. The original premise that proof of the threat beyond the wall is needed should have been much more solid than "we need to convince Cersei". Especially because the show worked so hard to establish Cersei as a character that will use it to her advantage even if you do convince her that walkers are real.

Even if I let the expedition as is slide, as a reasonable thing to do, there was no need to sink the dragon to have him pulled out with chains. There was no need for the clumsy separation of Jon from the rest. There was no need for the last minute rescue. There was no need for the forced "days of our lives" drama between Arya and Sansa. Arya going revisionist historian on Sansa about Ned's execution scene...

I expected a death/revival of a dragon to be a plot device to bring the wall down but it could have been done much better. The long established rules of the night king/walker/wight hierarchy were sacrificed, wights gained awareness for the cheap thrill of the "hound throws a rock" scene. There was no need for the chain scene, spear scene has the night king targeting a moving target further away while a stationary target is closer... Too sloppy and too conventional, falls short of the bar the show established.

Reunions that should have carried more weight turned out to be just an afterthought, opening up gaps and plot holes, Tyrion contacting Bronn to arrange meeting with Jaime couldn't make it into the show...

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Pacing of this season is consequence of errors in the previous seasons. The main attraction of the show to me was the story that broke the rules of conventional TV. Seasons 3 & 4 were the highlights for me. The original premise that proof of the threat beyond the wall is needed should have been much more solid than "we need to convince Cersei". Especially because the show worked so hard to establish Cersei as a character that will use it to her advantage even if you do convince her that walkers are real.

Even if I let the expedition as is slide, as a reasonable thing to do, there was no need to sink the dragon to have him pulled out with chains. There was no need for the clumsy separation of Jon from the rest. There was no need for the last minute rescue. There was no need for the forced "days of our lives" drama between Arya and Sansa. Arya going revisionist historian on Sansa about Ned's execution scene...

I expected a death/revival of a dragon to be a plot device to bring the wall down but it could have been done much better. The long established rules of the night king/walker/wight hierarchy were sacrificed, wights gained awareness for the cheap thrill of the "hound throws a rock" scene. There was no need for the chain scene, spear scene has the night king targeting a moving target further away while a stationary target is closer... Too sloppy and too conventional, falls short of the bar the show established.

Perfect examples. I'm going to reference all this when I argue my "the storytelling sucks" points.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Does anyone else think Danaerys should have looked like this after flying North on a dragon?

giphy.gif

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Does anyone else think Danaerys should have looked like this after flying North on a dragon?

giphy.gif

I'm thinking that with Dragon blood/fire belly or whatever, she doesn't get all that cold. Plus, she's riding a giant furnace the whole time.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm not saying some of that didn't feel contrived, but you can't really claim what there is and isn't "needed" for without seeing how the stories play out. There may very well be a need for some or all of these.

I think they had the Jon separation to really solidify what we've all been thinking - that the dragon queen wants Jon's dick. They are showing them getting closer which is going to make it even weirder when they find out that he really should be king by blood.

I also think that Arya has a plan up her sleeve, possibly with Sansa knowing, to take out Littlefinger. But she could also be keeping Sansa in the dark so she doesn't screw it up.

Just a lot of different ways things can play out before claiming what is "needed" and what isn't.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm not saying some of that didn't feel contrived, but you can't really claim what there is and isn't "needed" for without seeing how the stories play out. There may very well be a need for some or all of these.

I think they had the Jon separation to really solidify what we've all been thinking - that the dragon queen wants Jon's dick. They are showing them getting closer which is going to make it even weirder when they find out that he really should be king by blood.

I also think that Arya has a plan up her sleeve, possibly with Sansa knowing, to take out Littlefinger. But she could also be keeping Sansa in the dark so she doesn't screw it up.

Just a lot of different ways things can play out before claiming what is "needed" and what isn't.

yeah, Arya as portrayed over the last two episodes has seemed really, really naive and outright stupid, and we know that Arya didn't spend the previous 7 seasons or whatever being made dumber than she was at the beginning. So, something is up. There is no way she is this fricking stupid regarding Sansa. I think handing Sansa the dagger and letting her see the faces was to let Sansa know that she has her back....but yeah not to fuck with her. Which is also weird. Why would Sansa fuck with Arya, and why would Arya think this? It boggles the mind that they are trying to convince the audience that Sansa is somehow smarter than Arya....though we know that she understands the game better, outside of the head-chopping parts that Arya is familiar with.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
yeah, Arya as portrayed over the last two episodes has seemed really, really naive and outright stupid, and we know that Arya didn't spend the previous 7 seasons or whatever being made dumber than she was at the beginning. So, something is up. There is no way she is this fricking stupid regarding Sansa. I think handing Sansa the dagger and letting her see the faces was to let Sansa know that she has her back....but yeah not to fuck with her. Which is also weird. Why would Sansa fuck with Arya, and why would Arya think this? It boggles the mind that they are trying to convince the audience that Sansa is somehow smarter than Arya....though we know that she understands the game better, outside of the head-chopping parts that Arya is familiar with.

well, there is that theory about arya and the waif. some redditors seem convinced. won't post as not sure on rules about theories