Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 502 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Why did Sansa look at Arya the way she did while Arya was dueling Brienne? I also did not understand littlefinger's expression to Sansa reacting that way. What is the deal here?

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Why did Sansa look at Arya the way she did while Arya was dueling Brienne? I also did not understand littlefinger's expression to Sansa reacting that way. What is the deal here?
Sansa thought Arya was joking about killing people on her list but she knows now that Arya is now trained up and is serious about finishing her list.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
They're a pretty even match once Brienne adjusted her style.

It's good to see robo-Bran has learned to at least give a half hug.

True, in a duel. Even so, Arya is far more powerful overall, because she can do ninja stuff which topples houses much more quickly than samurai stuff.

His long slow plans don't matter much if Bran knows about them even before Petyr does. The only ace he's holding is a largely intact army which at this stage of the game is very important. Sansa doesn't trust him, but needs him, so he's not going anywhere. Ultimately I can see Littlefinger being a pawn in a game being played by someone else. It would be fun to watch him be victim of a long con hatched by Sansa.

I imagine he told Sansa that story to throw her off. He knows she's not a subtle person, so telling her his plan enmeshes her in a game she's no good at. She can't forget that he's a duplicitous person, which gives him a door into her mind.

openfield.jpg

This was just ridiculous. There's a big ridge right over there that blocks the view for miles, and you have no scouts out at all? What about the lecture he gave the idiots at Riverrun? Total amateur move. Jaime's no genius, but he certainly knows to put out scouts, especially when his prime enemy is highly mobile.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
at the crypt Sansa thought she was joking, at the tree when Bran confirms the existence of the list she isnt sure what to make of Arya or even Bran. at the training she realizes the truth of it. Arya wanted to play warrior back in season 1 and it has seemingly served her well. Sansa wanted to play at royal courtesan and look what it got her.
for Sansa who has been a victim more or less since the death of Ned, it puts a distance between who she became and how far the other stark children have come. that doubt/fear/resentment is an opening for Littlefinger to work his way in to manipulate her. even Jon who she never got along with is more or less unrelatable after his whitewalker experiences, which basically isolates her even amongst her family.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
at the crypt Sansa thought she was joking, at the tree when Bran confirms the existence of the list she isnt sure what to make of Arya or even Bran. at the training she realizes the truth of it. Arya wanted to play warrior back in season 1 and it has seemingly served her well. Sansa wanted to play at royal courtesan and look what it got her.
for Sansa who has been a victim more or less since the death of Ned, it puts a distance between who she became and how far the other stark children have come. that doubt/fear/resentment is an opening for Littlefinger to work his way in to manipulate her. even Jon who she never got along with is more or less unrelatable after his whitewalker experiences, which basically isolates her even amongst her family.

Yes, I did sense that. But I kind of thought to myself that their bonds should be much stronger considering the things that have happened to them and their families. Sansa should be much more stronger than being a petty victim of sibling rivalry / jealousy. But I can see why littlefinger would react the way he did sensing jealousy. It'll be really stupid though for Sansa to have survived Joffrey, Ramsay and everything else and lose herself to a petty emotion such as jealousy.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Is there any significance to the fact that Dany/Jon/Tyrion's mothers all died during childbirth and the fact there are 3 dragons?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Is there any significance to the fact that Dany/Jon/Tyrion's mothers all died during childbirth and the fact there are 3 dragons?

Almost certainly. To have three of the five most important characters with mothers who died in childbirth is far outside the chance of mere coincidence.

You're underestimating Sansa. She was by far the dumbest character on the show, but she's learned some hard lessons and has grown shrewd. She's smarter than Jon is about politics and how the game of thrones is played and she understands Littlefinger better than anyone. She's the one playing him now, not the other way around.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Almost certainly. To have three of the five most important characters with mothers who died in childbirth is far outside the chance of mere coincidence.

You're underestimating Sansa. She was by far the dumbest character on the show, but she's learned some hard lessons and has grown shrewd. She's smarter than Jon is about politics and how the game of thrones is played and she understands Littlefinger better than anyone. She's the one playing him now, not the other way around.

Let us hope this is true.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Anyone else bummed that we only have 3 @#$% episodes left for this season? It's flown by so quickly :(

That said, each of the episodes has been quality.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Anyone else bummed that we only have 3 @#$% episodes left for this season? It's flown by so quickly :(

And there are only 9 episodes left until the whole series is over.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005

Yes. It does make you question the amount of filler/wasted screen time from the earlier seasons. It now feels rush rush rush.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

I was just taking about this yesterday pointing it out to somebody here at work. but then I couldn't recall if Dany's mom died? Dany is pure blood Targaryen, right?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yes. It does make you question the amount of filler/wasted screen time from the earlier seasons. It now feels rush rush rush.

I think the "Wasted screen time" was to fulfill the desires of book nerds to include as much as could possibly be included, so as to avoid the obnoxious super fan revolts. Now that the show is off the book train, there is more leverage to move the story along beyond its earlier glacial pace. But that being said, I only feel that sand snakes and most of Dorn was wasted time--the characters, as many as there are, are so well-realized, written, and portrayed that there is enough drama, information, and entertainment during those long, drawn-out stories (OK, maybe we didn't need an entire season of Danaeraysayes walking down a road in the desert...maybe just one episode, right--or just skip her for half of that season?)

It should also be noted that the general satisfaction/epicness of the events this season are best appreciated due to the long, drawn out nature and anticipation generated by the previous years of content.

...and I mentioned this to someone the other day: Does anyone else think that Danaeayrys looks younger this year or at least, hasn't noticeably aged at all? I wonder if we are getting some digital trickery with her to keep her looking super young, ...it seemed to me that she was indeed looking a bit older in the middle seasons, but maybe I never noticed. Riding that Dragon in the current episode, she looked more like a child than ever. Was kinda cool...then I felt icky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Homerboy

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I think the "Wasted screen time" was to fulfill the desires of book nerds to include as much as could possibly be included, so as to avoid the obnoxious super fan revolts. Now that the show is off the book train, there is more leverage to move the story along beyond its earlier glacial pace. But that being said, I only feel that sand snakes and most of Dorn was wasted time--the characters, as many as there are, are so well-realized, written, and portrayed that there is enough drama, information, and entertainment during those long, drawn-out stories (OK, maybe we didn't need an entire season of Danaeraysayes walking down a road in the desert...maybe just one episode, right--or just skip her for half of that season?)

It should also be noted that the general satisfaction/epicness of the events this season are best appreciated due to the long, drawn out nature and anticipation generated by the previous years of content.

...and I mentioned this to someone the other day: Does anyone else think that Danaeayrys looks younger this year or at least, hasn't noticeably aged at all? I wonder if we are getting some digital trickery with her to keep her looking super young, ...it seemed to me that she was indeed looking a bit older in the middle seasons, but maybe I never noticed.

As a "Book nerd" I'm eternally grateful they held to the source material as much as they could. My only true disappointment is the absence of Lady Stone Heart but the rest of it was pretty well represented. There's things missing in the TV show that would certainly have helped understand the storylines a bit more but it's not too hard to connect the dots without some of the missing pieces.

The Sand Snakes were barely stomachable in the books. In the TV series they were incredibly horrific.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

We only have 9 episodes left in the show at all. Next season is the final season and it is only 6 episodes long (and it looks like we might have to wait an extra year for them!)

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

I was going to say this as well. Things were happening slow, and the pacing of the show reflected that. Now things are all coming together, the war is happening, events are becoming urgent, and the shows pacing is reflecting that. The very speed at which things are happening in the show gives us the sense of urgency that they are shooting for. It is some good filmmaking.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
First, I got the GOT board game for Christmas a few years back from ATOT THANK YOU ATOT! So nice to have a Secret Santa here, I'm the dad and this is the ONLY time I get surprised for Christmas.

Second: I Played the board game last night - it turns out that in one turn you can move a hoard of people from Dragon Stone to Casterly Rock in one turn!

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
I was just taking about this yesterday pointing it out to somebody here at work. but then I couldn't recall if Dany's mom died? Dany is pure blood Targaryen, right?

Yes she is. That's why people were concerned whether she'd be 'normal' or an insane whack-job like her daddy, the mad king, or her brother.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Yes she is. That's why people were concerned whether she'd be 'normal' or an insane whack-job like her daddy, the mad king, or her brother.

That's what I thought. Did her mom die in childbirth too though?
I was thinking maybe human females only died giving birth to a (theoretical) Targaryens? IE; Joanna Lannister and Lyanna Stark