Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 499 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
We finally, finally got to see what all the fuss was about dragons. Dragon fire is like napalm that burns with the intensity of a coronal mass ejection. Soldiers directly in the line of fire just turn to ash. Well, some of them did. Others just burn and scream. I'm not sure what the difference is but WTF - dragons, yo.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I wonder if Jamie and Bronn are going to tell Cerci how the arrow didn't do much to the dragon and then they are going to need the Dorn chicks to help them make poison to put on the tips of the spears.

That whole scene after the first arrow missed and Daenerys clearly saw it go right by, then she went straight on at the second shot aimed at her, just really bothered me. I knew it was coming but it was co cliche that it was so easy for him to hit the dragon.

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
Such a badass episode! Ayra getting to show off her moves, Bronn being Bronn, fucking dragons! Loved the way they were able to really make you feel how terrifying Drogon is, while letting Jaime and Bronn live. Jaime was an idiot for staying, and charging him, but at least he lives. I was thinking for a second there Drogon was going to eat him whole.

I'm calling it that one dragon will die to the scorpions at some point, but not Drogon. Maybe Viserion, while Jon rides Rhaegal into battle against the white walkers, named after his father of course.

this... they did an amazing job

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Man that was pretty intense. I actually wasn't expecting that battle to happen at first. The part where Bronn was trying to get to the scorpio reminded me a bit of the Battle of the Bastards in the gritty intensity of it. I love Bronn; I was a little worried that he wasn't gonna make it outta that melee. And actually at the end I was a bit worried for mah boy Jamie. He's a major character but they're certainly not safe. And it looks like a few scorpios could take down a dragon. I sure wouldn't wanna be the poor fucker shooting the thing though.

I got a bunch of Audible credits from an offer I took recently so I think I'm gonna get the ASOIAF books even though I already have the Kindle editions. Can't get enough of that shit man. I only purchased the first book so far just to make sure I'll like the narrator and whatnot; hopefully he/she doesn't try and go overboard doing different voices. Ugh that bugs me; just read the frickin thing, haha.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
The Lannister army never had a chance in that fight. As soon as they formed ranks I knew it was over as there was not enough depth to stop the charge. Then Dany shows up basically bringing an A-10 Warthog to a medieval battle. I am actually surprised the Lannisters held out as well as they did. Also previously I said I didn't remember seeing the dragons ever strafing, well we have now.

Great episode, Bran mind fucks Littlefinger, Arya kicks ass, Jon and Dany share a moment and Bronn is Bronn. I would have liked to see Theon at least get a punch to the face. I wonder if Jon bent the knee in the cave or if another arrangement is in the works.

RE: Scorpion - I wouldn't expect someone to learn to use different tactics after a single missed shot. Up to this point Dany has been invincible while riding her dragon and has no reason to expect otherwise. She wouldn't know after one shot if the weapon was effective against dragon scale and does not know how accurate it is either. In the real world it often takes encountering something several times for a new variable to be properly countered. The same is true for the army opposing a dragon, they will probably need to figure out that standing in nice neat rows is a bad idea.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
"chaos is a ladder"
Did littlefinger say this in an earlier season?

as for bad military strategy for using a dragon, it's to make for a wonderful scene.
dragon cooking a majority of soldiers then dorathi doing clean up = boring.

gold made it to kl. :eek: didn't think that would happen. would have thought more drame/tension between cersai and iron bank?

so all dany got was food to feed her army.
plus high garden.

so she now controls dragonstone, casterly rock, and high garden.

hmm.. wonder how much food she actually got because dragon torched ALOT of things.
he basically carpet bombed that wagon convoy that was on the road in a straight line

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
"chaos is a ladder"
Did littlefinger say this in an earlier season?

Yes, in a confrontation between him and Varys in one of the earlier seasons he described chaos as a ladder that those at the bottom could use to climb up to the top.

as for bad military strategy for using a dragon, it's to make for a wonderful scene.
dragon cooking a majority of soldiers then dorathi doing clean up = boring.

It was a very nice battle.

gold made it to kl. :eek: didn't think that would happen. would have thought more drame/tension between cersai and iron bank?

I didn't catch them saying that the gold had made it just that they had to get the entire caravan across the river.

so all dany got was food to feed her army.
plus high garden.

so she now controls dragonstone, casterly rock, and high garden.

I don't believe she took High Garden she just sacked the caravan.

hmm.. wonder how much food she actually got because dragon torched ALOT of things.
he basically carpet bombed that wagon convoy that was on the road in a straight line

Yeah not much left. If her intention was to acquire food then that seems to be a failure and there is no more left in the Reach as they harvested it all to put it on the caravan.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007

FBvAUni.jpg

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Well Daenerys said fuck being different. It's time to wreck some shit! LOL!
One of us misunderstood, I am hoping it was not me. Jon said if she melted castles or roasted cities, it would be more of the same. What she did was different. Like the difference between firebombing Dresden and Schwartzkopf's highway of death. She targeted only enemy military personnel and logistical support, not civilians.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
One of us misunderstood, I am hoping it was not me. Jon said if she melted castles or roasted cities, it would be more of the same. What she did was different. Like the difference between firebombing Dresden and Schwartzkopf's highway of death. She targeted only enemy military personnel and logistical support, not civilians.

This is exactly what happened. She wanted to go perch a dragon on the Red Keep and fumigate the premises Reign of Fire style but was advised against it.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Jamie must have balls of steel to keep his composure and direct a battle after seeing a dragon for the first time, much less roasting his troops.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The part where Bronn was trying to get to the scorpio reminded me a bit of the Battle of the Bastards in the gritty intensity of it.

I thought that was probably the best part. It just had a very raw feel to it. Oddly enough, I wasn't a huge fan of the Battle of the Bastards with its weird death mound quicksand thing.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
10/10.

As epic as that battle was, my favorite part of the episode what Arya going all Red Viper on Brienne.
"Who taught you how to do that?"
"No one"

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
You're right.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I couldn't tell what the hell he said. What was the point of him saying that to him?

Someone mentioned above that Littlefinger used that same line with Varys earlier in the series. In other words, it's a line to set Littlefinger on edge a bit. It's quite likely that Bran knows exactly where the dagger came from.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

That's the one quibble I have with the episode. In one scene she's complaining that she can't feed her army and in the next she's targeting the logistical support. WTF was she burning the supplies when there was still an army to deal with? You burn the soldiers and you take their food. You don't burn the food first and then swing around to go after the men.

Reactions: Sonikku

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
As great as the episode was.... cave paintings were lame as hell

That part confused me a bit. I thought the only people that knew of the "Children of the Forrest" were The three eyed raven artist formally known as Bran. I probably forgot, or missed something, but I could have sworn that when they introduced the characters they mentioned something along the lines of they were up there for so long with the old Three Eyed Raven that they were forgotten by man. I don't recall anyone talking about them other than the group that was with the CotF so Jon talking about them struck me odd. From what i can tell, he's not even aware that Bran is alive.

I couldn't tell what the hell he said. What was the point of him saying that to him?

Littlefinger's whole shtick is gaining power by sowing chaos. That's how he became what he is from nothing. There was an episode in the first couple of seasons where Cersi makes comment on how he was nothing regardless of if he made his own house complete with sigil.