Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 497 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Looking back on the show, it's annoying how much time was wasted on guys like Ramsay compared to the two major battles that were condensed into highlight clips in the last episode. I know it's more expensive to shoot battle scenes, but I'm still annoyed at how much screen time Ramsay freaking Bolton got in the overall story.
I enjoyed his character. After Joffrey was eliminated, many of us were bummed there was no one worth really despising. Then Ramsay came along. Still no one to replace him yet. Euron is way too likeable. Cersei has done too many things I liked, e.g. nuking the religitards.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I enjoyed his character. After Joffrey was eliminated, many of us were bummed there was no one worth really despising. Then Ramsay came along. Still no one to replace him yet. Euron is way too likeable. Cersei has done too many things I liked, e.g. nuking the religitards.
Joffrey was a one dimensional, cliche psycho antagonist, same as Ramsay. There was zero depth to their characters, unlike say Tywin Lannister who was a great antagonist.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Joffrey was a one dimensional, cliche psycho antagonist, same as Ramsay. There was zero depth to their characters, unlike say Tywin Lannister who was a great antagonist.
I mostly agree. Tywin was impossible to despise, detest, etc. He had his flaws, but he was a great leader, a master diplomat and general, and had redeeming qualities as well. The way he treated Arya for instance.

Joffrey embodied all the worst traits of humans - sadist, coward, braggart, the list goes on. Completely one dimensional. Ramsay however, was an excellent military commander and formidable fighter. He had a twisted sense of humor and way of doing in others, and that I think, made him more than one dimensional.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I agree that Ramsay and the whole "Reek" story line got way too much screen time. I would have much rather seen more adventures of Arya and the Hound in the countryside.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I'm thinking "when" rather than "if." There's no sense in revealing that only to the audience and not the characters in the actual story.
It's exactly why Bran told Sansa that he needs to talk to Jon. It's clear that they are also discussing the danger of letting Danny ride a dragon into battle, so Bran will offer his services as a warg Dragon Rider. No doubt, Danny will still prove herself by taking the risk anyway. I now wonder if Jon's Targaryen lineage will reveal that he also can't be burned and he will have command of the third dragon.

Edit: ZOMG! What if this revelation comes after Danny refuses to believe his claim that he's a Targaryen, since it appears to be a challenge to her "rightful heir" claim, then she orders his execution by dragonfire and Jon comes out unscathed (proving it to everyone witnessing the execution). Has Jon ever been burned in the show? I know he has burned white walkers.

Just hope they don't go too far and make his fireproof hair turn blonde as he emerges.

Last edited:

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
It's exactly why Bran told Sansa that he needs to talk to Jon. It's clear that they are also discussing the danger of letting Danny ride a dragon into battle, so Bran will offer his services as a warg Dragon Rider. No doubt, Danny will still prove herself by taking the risk anyway. I now wonder if Jon's Targaryen lineage will reveal that he also can't be burned and he will have command of the third dragon.

Edit: ZOMG! What if this revelation comes after Danny refuses to believe his claim that he's a Targaryen, since it appears to be a challenge to her "rightful heir" claim, then she orders his execution by dragonfire and Jon comes out unscathed (proving it to everyone witnessing the execution). Has Jon ever been burned in the show? I know he has burned white walkers.

Just hope they don't go too far and make his fireproof hair turn blonde as he emerges.

NEXT TIME, ON DRAGONBALL Z.

Reactions: Dr. Zaus

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
ahh.. in season2, she's the maid that saw sansa having her 1st period and the one that shae pulled a knife on warning not to tell anyone. (then shae comes back to sansa's room to see the Hound there.)

I don't remember this.
which episode is this when she tells on Shae!??!
Around 2nd episode of the 4th season. When gifts are presented to Joffrey (Tyrion gifts a book, Mace Tyrell a cup and Tywin the Valyrian steel sword that Joffrey names "widow's wail") Cersei says to Tywin that Shae is Tyrion's whore. The scene where maid tells on Shae is in the episode when Jaime gets his golden hand. Qyburn leaves the room after Jaime comically waves him off,Jamie and Cersei are talking, the maid knocks on the door to Cersei's chamber, Jaime was horny so he shouts "go away" while Cersei let's her in. The maid sees when Shae runs out after Tyrion does the "you are a whore" speech to Shae.

hm.. Bran as the 3eye raven can see past. present, and future.

do u think he's seen Littlefinger being the person behind the downfall of the Stark's with that lie that the Valerian dagger that tried to kill Bran was owned by Tyrion?
At this stage Bran only has fragments, he said so in the last episode. Sansa knows of Lysa's death as well as the things Lysa was saying (poisoning of Jon Arryn, sending the message to Catelyn) but no direct knowledge of his anti-Stark deeds. Arya was Tywin's cupbearer when Littlefinger visited Harrenhal. Arya and Sansa will urge Bran to take a closer look at Littlefinger and that will be his undoing.

Yes, he has been burned in the show. When the two wights tried to kill Jeor Mormont (old commander of the NW) Jon burned his hand as he threw the lantern at one of them. The commander dispatched Alliser Thorne to take the dead wight's hand to King's Landing but the show never followed up on that.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Around 2nd episode of the 4th season. When gifts are presented to Joffrey (Tyrion gifts a book, Mace Tyrell a cup and Tywin the Valyrian steel sword that Joffrey names "widow's wail") Cersei says to Tywin that Shae is Tyrion's whore. The scene where maid tells on Shae is in the episode when Jaime gets his golden hand. Qyburn leaves the room after Jaime comically waves him off,Jamie and Cersei are talking, the maid knocks on the door to Cersei's chamber, Jaime was horny so he shouts "go away" while Cersei let's her in. The maid sees when Shae runs out after Tyrion does the "you are a whore" speech to Shae.

At this stage Bran only has fragments, he said so in the last episode. Sansa knows of Lysa's death as well as the things Lysa was saying (poisoning of Jon Arryn, sending the message to Catelyn) but no direct knowledge of his anti-Stark deeds. Arya was Tywin's cupbearer when Littlefinger visited Harrenhal. Arya and Sansa will urge Bran to take a closer look at Littlefinger and that will be his undoing.

Yes, he has been burned in the show. When the two wights tried to kill Jeor Mormont (old commander of the NW) Jon burned his hand as he threw the lantern at one of them. The commander dispatched Alliser Thorne to take the dead wight's hand to King's Landing but the show never followed up on that.
...then they'll have to say that being resurrected enabled it somehow or something. Like, maybe his Stark side was killed off or the Lord of Light revival unlocked his Targ abilities.

Went ahead and made an outline for several more episodes if they do go that direction. I'm sure I'm way off!

Last episode of GoT:
Bran told Sansa that he needs to speak to Jon. Danny's aides tell her that it's too risky to let her fly a dragon into battle. Lady Tyrell tells Jaime that she killed Joffrey.

Next episode:
Bran tells Jon that he's actually a Targaryen. Jon doesn't believe him. Bran offers his services as a Dragon Rider using his warg abilities. Jaime tells Cersei about the Tyrells admitting to killing Joffrey. Cersei still hates Tyrian for siding against her with Danny.

Next episode:
Bran shows Jon the truth by warging in or whatever. Jon realizes that he really is a Targaryen. He tries to tell Danny but she interprets it as a false claim to the throne and orders his execution by dragonfire. Cersei does something horrible and Jaime begins to realize that she is as mad as The Mad King before her. His love for her diminishes. It already felt like a contradiction that he would support her after turning on The Mad King when he was explaining to Lady Tyrell how Cersei wanted her killed.

Next episode:
Jon's Targaryen blood protects him and his fireproof hair turns blonde during the execution attempt. People witness Jon going Super Saiyan and everyone, including Danny, realizes the truth. Jaime defies Cersei's attempts to kill Tyrian putting him into direct conflict. He has to make a choice much like when he chose to end the rule of The Mad King.

Next episode:
Still having no desire for power, Jon defers rule to Danny. He and Bran each command a dragon into battle in the north. Danny, needing to prove that she is more than just a throne room ruler, also rides into battle... and dies. With Jaime's betrayal, all Westerosi houses are allied against the white walkers and The Night King.

Next episode:
Battle ensues. Harsh winter. Yadda yadda yadda. Jon Snow [Targaryen] ends up on The Iron Throne. King of the North. King of the Seven Kingdoms. King over Danny's parts of Essos. Still having no desire for power, Jon forms a representative democracy involving the seven Westeros states, Dothraki, and Danny's other Essos lands and they all live happily ever after.

That's my outline. Let's see how it goes.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I don't like euron mainly because his char just showed up from left field, killed Lord Greyjoy and took over.
there was no char development.
he was suddenly just there

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Melisandre, the Red priests, the Lord of light, are all fucking evil. Anybody that burns an innocent child at the stake has to be. Yet they are the ones behind Jon Snow and Danaerys, saying Jon is the reincarnation of the Lord of Light, the prince that was promised. Varys maybe of royal blood too since he was castrated in a red priest ritual. And he shaves his hair to hide his true roots. He knows those red priests are evil.

Jon, as the reincarnation of the Lord of light, is supposed to be the prophet to crush the antithesis of the Lord of light. The antithesis being the Night King and the white walkers.

So I'm wondering if Jon and Daenerys are going to face a dilemma later when they realize the sorcerers backing them are fucking evil.

Last edited:

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
...then they'll have to say that being resurrected enabled it somehow or something. Like, maybe his Stark side was killed off or the Lord of Light revival unlocked his Targ abilities.

Went ahead and made an outline for several more episodes if they do go that direction. I'm sure I'm way off!

Last episode of GoT:
Bran told Sansa that he needs to speak to Jon. Danny's aides tell her that it's too risky to let her fly a dragon into battle. Lady Tyrell tells Jaime that she killed Joffrey.

Next episode:
Bran tells Jon that he's actually a Targaryen. Jon doesn't believe him. Bran offers his services as a Dragon Rider using his warg abilities. Jaime tells Cersei about the Tyrells admitting to killing Joffrey. Cersei still hates Tyrian for siding against her with Danny.

Next episode:
Bran shows Jon the truth by warging in or whatever. Jon realizes that he really is a Targaryen. He tries to tell Danny but she interprets it as a false claim to the throne and orders his execution by dragonfire. Cersei does something horrible and Jaime begins to realize that she is as mad as The Mad King before her. His love for her diminishes. It already felt like a contradiction that he would support her after turning on The Mad King when he was explaining to Lady Tyrell how Cersei wanted her killed.

Next episode:
Jon's Targaryen blood protects him and his fireproof hair turns blonde during the execution attempt. People witnesses Jon going Super Saiyan and everyone, including Danny, realizes the truth. Jaime defies Cersei's attempts to kill Tyrian putting him into direct conflict. He has to make a choice much like when he chose to end the rule of The Mad King.

Next episode:
Still having no desire for power, Jon defers rule to Danny. He and Bran each command a dragon into battle in the north. Danny, needing to prove that she is more than just a throne room ruler, also rides into battle... and dies. With Jaime's betrayal, all Westerosi houses are allied against the white walkers and The Night King.

Next episode:
Battle ensues. Harsh winter. Yards yards yards. Jon Snow [Targaryen] ends up on The Iron Throne. King of the North. King of the Seven Kingdoms. King over Danny's parts of Essos. Still having no desire for power, Jon forms a representative democracy involving the seven Westeros states, Dothraki, and Danny's other Essos lands and they all live happily ever after.

That's my outline. Let's see how it goes.

You forgot the 2 episodes where John is charging is Kamehameha wave to defeat the The Night King.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
You forgot the 2 episodes where John is charging is Kamehameha wave to defeat the The Night King.
Well, yeah, there are definitely more than 5 episodes remaining. We gotta see what role Arya plays in deposing Cersei, what Ser Jorah Mormont is going to find in Old Valyria now that I presume he is immune to Dragonscale, what Gendry's role will be, how The Hound will get over his fear of fire and do whatever it is he's going to do, etc. I'm sure we could squeeze a couple Kamehamehas in those episodes.

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Some really good theories in this thread! I just can't wait (and hope) that the Clegane bowl happens soon. Maybe Arya tries to assassinate Cersei, gets caught, mountain goes after her and the hound steps in. Would be awesome!

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Some really good theories in this thread! I just can't wait (and hope) that the Clegane bowl happens soon. Maybe Arya tries to assassinate Cersei, gets caught, mountain goes after her and the hound steps in. Would be awesome!

I'm hoping to see that happen the other way. Maybe Sandor goes after Gregor, gets caught and tossed in the dungeon, Arya assassinates a few people to save him, they go on the road as the Westeros version of Burns and Allen.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Looking back on the show, it's annoying how much time was wasted on guys like Ramsay compared to the two major battles that were condensed into highlight clips in the last episode. I know it's more expensive to shoot battle scenes, but I'm still annoyed at how much screen time Ramsay freaking Bolton got in the overall story.
Apart from the early seasons, the show has branched off instead of being a mere faithful reproduction of the original works, so theres more content overall for fans who are going to watch and read.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011

GRRM trashed the Clegane bowl theory. If he's right and not just irritated that people figured it out, Brienne could be the one to fight both Cleganes and beat them or maybe a dragon takes the Mountain out.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
GRRM trashed the Clegane bowl theory. If he's right and not just irritated that people figured it out, Brienne could be the one to fight both Cleganes and beat them or maybe a dragon takes the Mountain out.

Oh shit. Brienne will defeat the Mountain but it take Tormund sacrificing himself to do it.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
I don't like euron mainly because his char just showed up from left field, killed Lord Greyjoy and took over.
there was no char development.
he was suddenly just there
Agreed. It's not the only flaw of the show, there are many. I do wonder if a show that does the books truly justice is even possible. It would have taken ~15 episodes per season and 9 seasons to do it right. While many characters made early exits, hanging onto the main cast for 9 years is very costly or simply impossible.

D&D admitted they didn't really know what they were doing when they started. I still find it mind boggling that someone at HBO actually made such a leap of faith in terms of budget and time commitment, even more so with D&D's relatively empty resumes.

Up until the season 5 opener, they stubbornly refused to do flashbacks, craze when you consider source material and how some crucial revelations depended on flashbacks. Euron just showed up, Dorne was a mess, recasting, loose ends, slight conflicts with source material, etc,etc. They should have shot a few more scenes with Sean Bean and other early characters in season 1 and keep those scenes tucked away, sprinkle them in a few years later.

The ultimate nerdgasm for me would have been the show, the books and a RPG game made by CDPR, changing lead every year in terms of advancing the story. I've read the books after starting the show and I enjoyed them so much despite having a very good idea where they were going having watched the show. A game on top of that would have been a permanent CIMP.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Agreed. It's not the only flaw of the show, there are many. I do wonder if a show that does the books truly justice is even possible. It would have taken ~15 episodes per season and 9 seasons to do it right. While many characters made early exits, hanging onto the main cast for 9 years is very costly or simply impossible.

Yes, it would be possible. Anything is possible with enough time and money. The trouble is that a series that was 100% faithful to the source material would suck. When you look at some of the major flaws in the series, the plethora of minor characters, the pacing issues, the story arcs that go nowhere, etc it's really nothing compared to how bad the books were in that regard. The show has done a great job of focusing on the more important characters and the better storylines while trimming away the filler that was at least 50% of the last two books.

And the books were just as rife with flaws as the series is. There were a lot of inconsistencies, contradictions and errors of continuity or timing. The series is just too large and too convoluted for even GRRM to keep it all straight.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Yes, it would be possible. Anything is possible with enough time and money. The trouble is that a series that was 100% faithful to the source material would suck. When you look at some of the major flaws in the series, the plethora of minor characters, the pacing issues, the story arcs that go nowhere, etc it's really nothing compared to how bad the books were in that regard. The show has done a great job of focusing on the more important characters and the better storylines while trimming away the filler that was at least 50% of the last two books.

And the books were just as rife with flaws as the series is. There were a lot of inconsistencies, contradictions and errors of continuity or timing. The series is just too large and too convoluted for even GRRM to keep it all straight.
Timing issues are fine - play the GOT board game you'll see everything moves the same way there :-D