Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 496 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
But Cersei has big crossbows now! :)eyeroll: That was the dumbest thing this season... possibly all seasons).

Why? The golden BB theory is well established and works in practice. A lot of planes and helicopters have been shot down in wars by numbskulls blindly firing pistols and rifles into the air hoping for a lucky shot. Before surface to air missiles and other smart weapons came about standard air defense was to fill the sky with as much lead as possible so you'd be bound to hit something by accident. And since Tolkien did it in the Hobbit it's become part of dragon lore that a dragon can be brought down by a single shot that hits in the right place. And we know that the dragons are at least somewhat vulnerable to piercing weapons, they took a lot of damage from spears and arrows in Mereen.

Ultimately, this is probably a case of Chekhov's Gun. If it wasn't going to be important later there would not have been a scene showing it now. So it's either going to be used to kill a dragon or re-purposed to do something else that is critical to the story.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
full grown dragons should have an armor class of at least -2, make it impervious to non-magical weapons.

I hated Lord of the Rings when Gandalf (wizard class) wielded a long sword and used it like an expert knight

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
full grown dragons should have an armor class of at least -2, make it impervious to non-magical weapons.

I hated Lord of the Rings when Gandalf (wizard class) wielded a long sword and used it like an expert knight

So what? If Dragons were impervious to non-magic weapons in this reality then they'd probably have magical weapons capable of defeating them. Magical Valyrian Steel defeats White Walkers, so why wouldn't there be something equally effective against dragons? Every seemingly unbeatable trope in fantasy has to have a weakness or there's no story. Otherwise it's a land where dragons breed humans as food.

And the two most famous fictional wizards, Merlin and Gandalf, both used swords on occasion. As they set the precedent and predate Dungeons & Dragons by a long margin it's D&D that broke the rules on what wizards could do, not LOTR.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

Gandalf was never a wizard, Gandalf is an extradimensional being with godlike powers, basically an Angel. Gandalf and Sauron are the same sort of being.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

The Valar purposely gimped the Istari to prevent a second War of Wrath that could destroy Middle Earth like Belariand was. And probably to prevent men from becoming dependent on elves or Valar to always bail them out. Although that almost didn't work out, and you have to wonder what they would've done had Sauron gotten the ring back and enslaved the continent.

In summary he didn't have that much magic, so had to use a sword for his day-to-day fighting

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Gandalf was never a wizard, Gandalf is an extradimensional being with godlike powers, basically an Angel. Gandalf and Sauron are the same sort of being.

LOL, godlike powers? WTF series were you reading? Gandalf's magic was about as powerful as David Blaine's. He couldn't levitate a feather or set fire to a strip of flash paper. He used a sword because his magic was pretty much useless.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
lets say you have 40k armored infantry vs 40k unarmored cavalry fighting in an open field.
who do you think will win?

I think the Calvary since armor seems to be treated like paper in this show.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
lets say you have 40k armored infantry vs 40k unarmored cavalry fighting in an open field.
who do you think will win?

I think the Calvary since armor seems to be treated like paper in this show.

See the Mongols for the answer to your question.

Reactions: Dr. Zaus

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
LOL yeah, and it looks like it has room for 1 arrow only, and they only have 1 of them. Hope the shooter has good accuracy! And it's not like the dragon's can't just, you know, dodge this arrow coming at them.

I'll bet when the time comes they have many many more of them. And I am trying to remember a time the dragons didn't go into hover mode when breathing fire, kind of a sitting duck at that point.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
LOL yeah, and it looks like it has room for 1 arrow only, and they only have 1 of them. Hope the shooter has good accuracy! And it's not like the dragon's can't just, you know, dodge this arrow coming at them.

Yes, because although the series never mentions it the dragons have learned the incredible ability to scan every inch of the sky at every single second of a battle and can stop and or change direction instantly even though they're the size of a freaking house.

Do you even watch the series? Drogon got beat up pretty badly rescuing Dany in the slave pit of Mereen. He didn't manage to dodge a single spear, maybe, just maybe, once again, because he's the size of a freaking house.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
See the Mongols for the answer to your question.
One battle formation that they used consisted of five squadrons or units. The typical squadrons were divided by ranks. The first two ranks were in the front. These warriors had the heaviest armor and weapons. The back three ranks broke out between the front ranks and attacked first with their arrows.[70] The forces simply kept their space from the enemy and killed them with arrow fire, during which time "archers did not aim at a specific target, but shot their arrows at a high path into a set 'killing zone' or target area

so u think infantry will win?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I'm interested to see what they do with Qyburns ballista.

I am a little disappointed in the design. The Romans actually had a crankable version that would automatically reload from a hopper or arrows. Much more deadly than what appeared in the episode.

Or if they really wanted to go all out they should have done a GOT version of the Korean Hwacha weapon. (200 rocket propelled arrows with explosive tips)

Courtesy of mythbusters.

Mythbusters also did the automatic ballista

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
I'd love to see the super secret ballista fail miserably. thus far Qyburn has been painted as an unstoppable genius... he turns the Mountain into a monster, he figures out what poison the sand snakes used, and he engineers a dragon killing ballista.

I want to see him lining up for the perfect shot, it misfires, and he gets roasted.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
I'd love to see the super secret ballista fail miserably. thus far Qyburn has been painted as an unstoppable genius... he turns the Mountain into a monster, he figures out what poison the sand snakes used, and he engineers a dragon killing ballista.

I want to see him lining up for the perfect shot, it misfires, and he gets roasted.

1299505990_mortar-launch-fail.gif

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
One battle formation that they used consisted of five squadrons or units. The typical squadrons were divided by ranks. The first two ranks were in the front. These warriors had the heaviest armor and weapons. The back three ranks broke out between the front ranks and attacked first with their arrows.[70] The forces simply kept their space from the enemy and killed them with arrow fire, during which time "archers did not aim at a specific target, but shot their arrows at a high path into a set 'killing zone' or target area

so u think infantry will win?

I believe the correct answer is, it depends.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009

You will likely get your wish. Lannister army most certainly is hauling a few balista with them yet a dragon dying out of reach of night king is very unlikely so a misfire or ineffective shot that will only aggravate a dragon seems logical. Qyburn doesn't seem the type to leave Cersei's side though, some other fool will suffer.

First 3 episodes went to Cersei, next should tip the balance towards Daenerys.

Next episode is titled "spoils of war". This is likely referring to the loot Lannister army took from Tyrells and it's also in the season 7 trailer. Daenerys taking the loot and in the process foiling Cersei's plan to repay the iron bank with the loot seems like a perfect way to restore the balance.Littlefinger was already in danger at Winterfell because Sansa knows things that can hurt him, now that Bran is there and Arya is coming soon. With Bran's help, it's just a matter of time until they can piece together all the damage he did to the Starks. Arya killing Littlefinger and assuming his identity to get to King's Landing is what I would do in her shoes.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
hm.. Bran as the 3eye raven can see past. present, and future.

do u think he's seen Littlefinger being the person behind the downfall of the Stark's with that lie that the Valerian dagger that tried to kill Bran was owned by Tyrion?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yes, because although the series never mentions it the dragons have learned the incredible ability to scan every inch of the sky at every single second of a battle and can stop and or change direction instantly even though they're the size of a freaking house.

Do you even watch the series? Drogon got beat up pretty badly rescuing Dany in the slave pit of Mereen. He didn't manage to dodge a single spear, maybe, just maybe, once again, because he's the size of a freaking house.
Yes, because picking up someone on the ground that is surrounded by hundreds of people who are holding tiny spears is the same as flying through the sky hundreds of feet in the air with 1 spear the size of phone pole coming at you.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
who was that girl that interrupted cercei and Jaime in bed?
I think I've seen her b4 in a previous season?

I thought at first she was the main daughter from "Into The Badlands" then I remembered what I was watching.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
A YT reactor I was watching had an interesting point about some of the dialogue between Dany and Jon.

When Davos is explaining why Jon is the king, he states that those hard bastards in the North follow him and fight for him because of Jons honor and what he's given for them. His men love him.

Later Dany says something about we love what we are good at. Jon replies he doesn't love what he's good at, ostensibly fighting and killing.

So why am I bringing this up.

While they were in Essos Dany asked Barristan Selmy about Rhaegar. Selmy over a couple of conservations says Rhaegars men loved him and that he would rather have been singing than killing.

The point it looks like they are making is to draw similarities between Jon and Rhaegar to Dany. I think it's part of the reason she relented a little at the end of the episode. I don't know if it will be part of why she'll accept Jon as family if they eventually find out his parentage, but I suspect it might be.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I don't know if it will be part of why she'll accept Jon as family if they eventually find out his parentage, but I suspect it might be.

I'm thinking "when" rather than "if." There's no sense in revealing that only to the audience and not the characters in the actual story.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Am I the only one who reads replies in this thread and sees some names, has no clue who is being talked about, and googles to see who the person at hand is, then is like "OOOhh ok, THAT person" ?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Don't be obtuse. Being around for 300 lifetimes of men, fighting the forces of evil, is more than adequate to match or exceed an expert knight in any category.

As to Gandalf's magical capacity; even Sauron had to grab a weapon and do work. Both can use and augment with magic, but neither can wield it exclusively, in lieu of armed combat, when shit gets real.

And wrong mythos too, so let's get back to GoT shall we?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Looking back on the show, it's annoying how much time was wasted on guys like Ramsay compared to the two major battles that were condensed into highlight clips in the last episode. I know it's more expensive to shoot battle scenes, but I'm still annoyed at how much screen time Ramsay freaking Bolton got in the overall story.