Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 495 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
LOL yeah, and it looks like it has room for 1 arrow only, and they only have 1 of them. Hope the shooter has good accuracy! And it's not like the dragon's can't just, you know, dodge this arrow coming at them.

I agree that one giant crossbow (like in The Hobbit) is dumb, that would never work. But I understood that they have/are making many of them. A hail of giant crossbow bolts could definitely do the job.

I would have used the dragons to clear out the armies on the move, then siege the city. But alas, it's a show and needs its drama.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
"Give me 10 good men, and I'll impregnate the bitch"l

Bronn has not been given enough to do this season.

Still can't figure out who Varys truly works for, but I suspect there is another power at work that's yet to be revealed.

Can it be that he's the most honest person in the entire show? That would be ironic, but so far it's still possible. He claims to be working for the good of the people of the Seven Kingdoms and maybe he really is. Everything he's done fits with that.

Great episode! Kinda weird to see Tyrion being out-maneuvered. Maybe Tyrion let his emotions get to him in advising to take a largely worthless Casterly Rock, thinking how good it would feel to take his family's castle.

I think Tyrion just saw it as a way to strip Cersei's reinforcements away. He didn't necessarily want the castle, he just needed to get those pieces off the board to make the eventual sacking of King's Landing less bloody.

Great episode even without Arya and Sandor who are usually my favorite characters. The Jon/Tryion scene and Jaime/Olenna scene made up for their absence nicely.

And Cersei is great as a gloating bitch. She's no fun when things are not going her way, but when she's got the upper hand and is twisting the knife into one of her victims she's a hoot. Her revenge on the "Shame!" Septa and the way she treated the captive Sand Snakes was just brilliantly evil.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
They have to be some of the dumbest people/species to have every lived. They have been around for centuries and THOUSANDS of years, the Citadel does nothing but study and learn for eons... and they are still stuck fighting with swords and arrows? They inhabit the same castles and keeps that their ancestors lived in for countless generations. There's absolutely zero advancement in this society.

Um, the sword was pretty much state of the art weapon for mankind for a little over 3 thousand years in real life, and was still in regular use as a infantry weapon up until world war I.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
With all those comments, i want to ask a question that is disturbing me. How can a man with dick or balls can have sex with a girl. I am referring to the general of Unsullied army

It was pretty detailed how that worked out. Pretty much the same way that two woman would go at it without having an apparatus.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
I was just thinking, the Lord of Light brings back people from the dead.

The Night King brings back people from the dead.

Maybe the "fire" a Song of Ice and Fire is referring to is the lord of light. Not the dragons?

Maybe that's why Varys is so wary of them, they must have some dark secret we still haven't seen

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
I was just thinking, the Lord of Light brings back people from the dead.

The Night King brings back people from the dead.

Maybe the "fire" a Song of Ice and Fire is referring to is the lord of light. Not the dragons?

Maybe that's why Varys is so wary of them, they must have some dark secret we still haven't seen
Well there was this plot twist on reddit which said ~
That Dany & her 3 dragons would go north of the wall to save a bunch of main characters, including Jon. The night king would kill one of the dragons, resurrect him & bring the wall down, at least a part of it. Do remember that the wall isn;t just ice but magic that stood for 8000(?) years, it would need a magical being to bring it down. Then whatever ensues is just the final season I presume.

Can;t say whether it's all true, or not, but seems pretty believable to me.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Well there was this plot twist on reddit which said ~
That Dany & her 3 dragons would go north of the wall to save a bunch of main characters, including Jon. The night king would kill one of the dragons, resurrect him & bring the wall down, at least a part of it. Do remember that the wall isn;t just ice but magic that stood for 8000(?) years, it would need a magical being to bring it down. Then whatever ensues is just the final season I presume.

Can;t say whether it's all true, or not, but seems pretty believable to me.
That better not be one of the leaked scripts that were just hacked from HBO. I don't want to read any of that

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I agree that one giant crossbow (like in The Hobbit) is dumb, that would never work. But I understood that they have/are making many of them. A hail of giant crossbow bolts could definitely do the job.

I would have used the dragons to clear out the armies on the move, then siege the city. But alas, it's a show and needs its drama.

If Daenerys had used one of the dragons to scout south toward Dorne maybe she could have spotted Euron's fleet. Additionally, it wouldn't have taken long to fly over to Casterly Rock just to see what's going on over there. Seems like she could be doing more than sitting on her stupid throne and coming up with new titles for herself.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
If Daenerys had used one of the dragons to scout south toward Dorne maybe she could have spotted Euron's fleet. Additionally, it wouldn't have taken long to fly over to Casterly Rock just to see what's going on over there. Seems like she could be doing more than sitting on her stupid throne and coming up with new titles for herself.

They have to nerf the dragons. Otherwise they're the solution to pretty much every single problem in the world, the undead army gets roasted, Kings Landing falls in 20 seconds and Cersei becomes Dragon Snausages. They could wrap up the rest of the series in a single episode and GRRM can complete the books with a 10 page pamphlet.

It's the great conundrum of fantasy literature, finding balance so that the story doesn't rely too heavily on a single creature, weapon or magical ability which then solves things too easily. And pretty much every single epic fantasy book or series has botched it. So GRRM and the showrunners are relying on the tenet that Dany doesn't want to conquer a kingdom of ashes and won't use the dragons to take back the Iron Throne. But even with that they can't get around the fact that there are 1000 other non-violent things the dragons could be doing to help Dany win.

That kind of leads me to believe that maybe there's some truth to the theories that the Nights King manages to somehow kill one dragon, raise it and control it. It really helps balance things out and 2 dragons to 1 is better for the story than 3 to 0. Or what the hell, maybe Cersei somehow gets control of a dragon too so that all 3 sides have one.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
GoT is starting to piss me off, much like Power is. The hits keep coming for the good guys, I am only hoping that things turn around. I think there is a good chance a dragon is lost. I don't see how they are going to have to wars going on at the same time. I am glad to see Jorah Mormont getting healed. Hopefully he can help, along with the dragon glass. So many theories out there, like Arya being the chick who was at the door when Cersei and Jaime were done fucking.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Is this the last season for GoT? Everything seems much more rushed now than previous seasons. Story is moving at a rapid pace vs. what im used to from GoT.
nope. 1 more season.
Im betting this season will wrap up the Iron throne sega.
and next season will be everyone vs the night king

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
so euron shows up at exactly the right time TWICE for his fleet to do lots of damage.

im thinking someone in Dany's inner circle has betrayed her.
I'm thinking it's Varys because of what the red Priestess said about her and him dying.

but if it is him, I don't know why.
unless some plot twist from left field? (like euron was a freaking surprise.)

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Has there ever been a bad guy that walks as slow as white walkers? It's not like they stop to sleep or have picnic lunches or something.

It's going to take another 7 seasons to go from the wall to King's Landing

GRRM's response: I would have called them white runners if they were actually fast.

Reactions: Aharami

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Has there ever been a bad guy that walks as slow as white walkers? It's not like they stop to sleep or have picnic lunches or something.

It's going to take another 7 seasons to go from the wall to King's Landing

GRRM's response: I would have called them white runners if they were actually fast.

Lol. If you think they're slow, think about Gendry. That chap's been rowing since season 3.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Lol. If you think they're slow, think about Gendry. That chap's been rowing since season 3.
Why does the map curve 'up' instead of stay flat or down like a sphere? It's like they are inside a sphere instead of on the outside of it.

Is the whole thing inside the eye of a giant? Every other story old nan told has turned out to be true.... except the ice spiders... who I suspect will be able to capture a dragon!

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
who was that girl that interrupted cercei and Jaime in bed?
I think I've seen her b4 in a previous season?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
ahh.. in season2, she's the maid that saw sansa having her 1st period and the one that shae pulled a knife on warning not to tell anyone. (then shae comes back to sansa's room to see the Hound there.)

"But though she might seem meek and mild, it’s vital that no one in King’s Landing sleep on good old Bernadette. The eager-to-please maid gets her revenge on Shae fully two seasons later, when she tells Cersei she’s discovered the identity of Tyrion’s secret lover. This leads to Shae being a) scooped up by Tywin, b) encouraged to testify at Tyrion’s trial, and, well, c) murdered by Tyrion in the Season 4 finale."

I don't remember this.
which episode is this when she tells on Shae!??!

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
It just looked like some kind of personal servant but her copying the queens haircut was odd it seemed.