Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 487 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
What happened to theon?
Thought he went with yara to see dany?

Theon and Yara met with Dany last season to ally with her and provide ships in exchange for getting control of the Iron Islands if their side won. Dany agreed, so presumably they are still with Dany at Dragonstone even if they didn't appear in that episode.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Theon and Yara met with Dany last season to ally with her and provide ships in exchange for getting control of the Iron Islands if their side won. Dany agreed, so presumably they are still with Dany at Dragonstone even if they didn't appear in that episode.

And the best part was Yara and Dany made googly eyes at each other.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
And the best part was Yara and Dany made googly eyes at each other.

Get Missandei away from GreyWorm and invite Sansa too. That could actually work out, GreyWorm is lacking in certain areas and Sansa might be done with men for a while.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
How we're talking!
Sophie Turner isn't "hot" though -- she's just really become a beautiful woman.

Speaking of which, saw this discussed elsewhere. When Jon and Sansa were arguing and Jon accused Sanda of admiring Cercei. Sansa brushed it off saying that she learned things. But sharp eyed viewers noticed that Sansa's hairstyle was an exact copy of a style Cersei used when Sansa was still in King's Landing. That can't be a coincidence or simply oversight on the part of the hair and makeup people. They're foreshadowing something. Is Sansa going to turn into Cersei of the North?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Speaking of which, saw this discussed elsewhere. When Jon and Sansa were arguing and Jon accused Sanda of admiring Cercei. Sansa brushed it off saying that she learned things. But sharp eyed viewers noticed that Sansa's hairstyle was an exact copy of a style Cersei used when Sansa was still in King's Landing. That can't be a coincidence or simply oversight on the part of the hair and makeup people. They're foreshadowing something. Is Sansa going to turn into Cersei of the North?

I actually noticed her hairstyle "weird" or at least different than an normal "Sansa hairstyle"
Ironically -- check my edit that I put in my previous post - Headly is gorgeous along with Sansa

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

Well she was ready to make a couple kids homeless just because of something their dads did. That's definitely something Cersei would do.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
They're foreshadowing something. Is Sansa going to turn into Cersei of the North?

I can picture the scene now...

Sansa brushes her fingers across Jon's nether regions

"Oh come now Jon we're only half-siblings (cousins)." depending on if that secret gets out by the time Sansa goes full Cersei....

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
They still seem to be dragging stuff out in this. That episode was an hour long and not a lot happened.
And the stuff that did happen, happened quickly so they could go back to having not a lot happening really slowly again.

Grumpy Mcburnhead was being grumpy and feeling guilty about being a dick the same as last series.
Deady Mcnolongerdead was being brooding and shouty in front of a hall full of people wearing black fur the same as last series.
Stabby Mcchangeface was great but the revenge bit was almost done as an aside and after that she was wandering around in the woods again.
Sulky Mcwooden was showing her terrible acting chops again unless she was aiming at sulking teenager.
Queeny Mcscantillycladdragonridingpostergirl was walking up extremely long stairs. Again.

It just seems like half the scenes were recycled from earlier episodes.

There's a huge fucking zombie army coming to kill you all! Fucking do something!

Reactions: PricklyPete

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
There's a huge fucking zombie army coming to kill you all! Fucking do something!

It's almost like the people south of the wall don't believe that White Walkers and an army of the dead are real. Seems like something they might have mentioned once or twice.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It's almost like the people south of the wall don't believe that White Walkers and an army of the dead are real. Seems like something they might have mentioned once or twice.
The answer to that is obviously to sit around a hall dressed in black fur being moody and shouty with each other then.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
I only had a few problems with the episode:

I thought Arya's revenge was kind of cheesy. Too perfect.

Sansa's extreme change in demeanor: speaking out against Jon during a war meeting was...drastic. Did she suddenly grow a pair overnight? I guess I have to rewatch last season if this was setup more gradually.

Sam finding that treasure map showing buried dragonglass was to easy. Ahoy matey, I will find the buried treasure with thus map!!!!arrrrrrrr!

No Tyrion

I thought the same on all points.

I guess it's just the crush of shorter seasons that you can't develop the interplay & tension adequately enough.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
One thing I thought was odd about this episode is Dragonstone being empty. I mean I know Stanis left it, but why wouldn't someone else take it? They fought like crazy over Riverrun, yet this perfect giant castle on the ocean where they know Dani will land is just empty with the welcome mat out for her?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
One thing I thought was odd about this episode is Dragonstone being empty. I mean I know Stanis left it, but why wouldn't someone else take it? They fought like crazy over Riverrun, yet this perfect giant castle on the ocean where they know Dani will land is just empty with the welcome mat out for her?

There's a million similar things in a million shows/movies that could be said the same. It's a minor "flaw" that they (and we) need to accept to move the story along. Maybe there were people there and they saw 1,000 ships and 3 dragons approaching and they got the fuck out. Maybe an Unsullied landing party came before Dany and cleared house. They can't show every_fucking_little_thing in every_fucking_episode.

Fun fact: Ed Sheeran left Twitter due to backlash.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

When Stannis left who was in position to take it and garrison it? All the people that were loyal to the crown were otherwise occupied. And it's a freaking island, so for someone to set up shop there they're need both an army and a fleet of ships. The people that had ships didn't want it and the people that had an army couldn't use it.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Fun fact: Ed Sheeran left Twitter due to backlash.

Another fun fact: internet trolls should all DIAF

I thought it was great how they threw in a song from the books. Might as well get someone who can sing, plus Maise is a huge fan.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Sounds like some of you just don't enjoy the show, lol.

Go bitch in The Walking Dead thread -- now THAT'S a show that drags shit out/recycles themes.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011

I was only surprised that Dragonstone was empty because of Cersi and Jamie discussing where the landing would occur. Obviously it takes a while to sail across the sea so either garrison the castle which seems like it would be a bitch to take or load up the basement with wildfire and wait for them to move in and poof. The castle itself kinda sucks, there is no land, no people, no income. Stannis was put there so he wouldn't have crap but at the same time it would be considered a prestigious post as that was the original Targaryan castle. I seem to remember Stannis bitching about the shit location before. Riverrun is pretty much the exact opposite of Dragonstone.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I wonder how they are doing with ghost's replacement because of grr martin's ability to kill off characters we like even in the real world although we do get another direwolf returning for next episode.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I was only surprised that Dragonstone was empty because of Cersi and Jamie discussing where the landing would occur. Obviously it takes a while to sail across the sea so either garrison the castle which seems like it would be a bitch to take or load up the basement with wildfire and wait for them to move in and poof.

Sail across the sea in what? The crown doesn't have a fleet. Stannis took his portion of it and the rest burned at Blackwater Bay. Cersei has no sea power, she doesn't have the men to garrison Dragonstone even if she could get them there and there's no evidence to suggest that she has any more wildfire left. So other than that, yeah, great plan.

Dragonstone is useless to everyone except Dany. Nobody else would want it and damn sure nobody else has both the army and the navy necessary to take and hold it.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I was only surprised that Dragonstone was empty because of Cersi and Jamie discussing where the landing would occur. Obviously it takes a while to sail across the sea so either garrison the castle which seems like it would be a bitch to take or load up the basement with wildfire and wait for them to move in and poof. The castle itself kinda sucks, there is no land, no people, no income. Stannis was put there so he wouldn't have crap but at the same time it would be considered a prestigious post as that was the original Targaryan castle. I seem to remember Stannis bitching about the shit location before. Riverrun is pretty much the exact opposite of Dragonstone.

Keep in mind all the time in GoT is never really accounted for properly. Things happen way too fast (or sometimes) too slow.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Sail across the sea in what? The crown doesn't have a fleet. Stannis took his portion of it and the rest burned at Blackwater Bay. Cersei has no sea power, she doesn't have the men to garrison Dragonstone even if she could get them there and there's no evidence to suggest that she has any more wildfire left. So other than that, yeah, great plan.

Dragonstone is useless to everyone except Dany. Nobody else would want it and damn sure nobody else has both the army and the navy necessary to take and hold it.

Reverse Dunkirk? I'm sure there are some fishing boats they could commandeer or something. And I am fairly certain she only detonated the wildfire that was under the Sept. I am betting there is much more still under other locations in the city based on Tyrion listing off all the places that were rigged to blow. And it's not like they have a counter in the corner of the screen keeping track of how many men each side has left. It's TV they have exactly however many men and however much materials as they need for the given scene.

And I agree completely on the uselessness of Dragonstone that is why I had no issue with it being empty.

Keep in mind all the time in GoT is never really accounted for properly. Things happen way too fast (or sometimes) too slow.

Same as above for men and materials, they have exactly as much time as the scene needs.

I feel like we are all saying the same thing. I was just a little surprised that they took the time to film Cersi and Jamie specifically identifying the place they would land and not have them setup something for when they arrive.