Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 479 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Deadwood's Ian McShane has been cast in an as yet unknown role for next season. Speculation is that he'll play either Balon Greyjoy's brother Euron or Samwell Tarly's father Randyll

Was talking about this with a coworker. What if he is cast as Howland Reed?

We think they may be doing a flashback with Ned/Athur Dayne, they need a Howland.

If there is a flashback he might also be the one to rally the north to Snow.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Was talking about this with a coworker. What if he is cast as Howland Reed?

We think they may be doing a flashback with Ned/Athur Dayne, they need a Howland.

If there is a flashback he might also be the one to rally the north to Snow.

I just saw this in the last few days, newest speculation (and still just that, speculation and nothing more) is that he won't be Tarly or Greyjoy.

There were three casting calls he likely fit:

1) Pirate, man in his 40’s to late 50’s. He’s “an infamous pirate who has terrorized seas all around the world. Cunning, ruthless, with a touch of madness.”He’s a dangerous-looking man. A very good part this season.”

That would be Euron Greyjoy

2) Father. Aged 50’s to 60’s, he’s one of the greatest soldiers in Westeros- a humorless martinet, severe and intimidating. He demands martial discipline in the field and in his home. It’s described as “a very good part” for next year and that he’s “centrally involved” in a protagonist’s storyline.

That would be Tarly

3) Priest, in his 40’s or 50’s. A gruff ex-soldier who found religion. Now a no-nonsense rural priest who ministers to the poor of the countryside. He’s salt-of-the-earth man who has weathered many battles.

Now the rumors are that he'll be playing the priest role.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
3) Priest, in his 40’s or 50’s. A gruff ex-soldier who found religion. Now a no-nonsense rural priest who ministers to the poor of the countryside. He’s salt-of-the-earth man who has weathered many battles.

Now the rumors are that he'll be playing the priest role.

The Hound returns!

Honestly, I hope they skip the entirety of the Iron Isles. It was painful in the
books.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The Hound returns!

Honestly, I hope they skip the entirety of the Iron Isles. It was painful in the
books.

lol.. why wouldn't the original actor who played the Hound not play the priest?

and isn't the Iron Isles needed to complete the 3rd leech promise of the Red priestess of light? (death to Bajon Greyjoy)
or is that moot since Stannis is dead (supposedly)?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
lol.. why wouldn't the original actor who played the Hound not play
the priest
?

and isn't the Iron Isles needed to complete the 3rd leech promise of the Red priestess of light? (death to Bajon Greyjoy)

or is that moot since Stannis is dead (supposedly)?

I hope you didn't just slip in a book spoiler.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
wTnsqHm.jpg

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
I hope you didn't just slip in a book spoiler.

It's my understand nothing from the books can't spoil the show directly because the show is 100% caught up to the books. Is that not true?

At any rate, everything in that post was in the show.

Last edited:

artemicion

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2004
It's my understand nothing from the books can spoil the show directly because the show is 100% caught up to the books. Is that not true?

There's a few events in the books that haven't happened in the show that could come to the show.

But overall, I agree that the threat of book spoilers is trivial at this point. I mean, given the differences in the show and the books at this point, anything that happened in the books only has a *speculative* chance of happening in the show.

IMO, Kit Harrington Watch 2015 and the casting news/rumors thrown around freely in this thread are waaaay more spoilerific than anything in the books.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
IMO, Kit Harrington Watch 2015 and the casting news/rumors thrown around freely in this thread are waaaay more spoilerific than anything in the books.

Agreed but fuck it, whatever. There's no un-fucking this thread so might as well deal with it.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Agreed but fuck it, whatever. There's no un-fucking this thread so might as well deal with it.

Oh, quit whining. This compelling need to go out of your way to invent a reason so that you can feel suitably outraged is childish and pathetic.

Even if it was 100% confirmed that Kit Harrington was in the cast for the new season that's not in the least bit spoiler-y. Without context he could:

Appear in a single scene where his death is expanded, finalized and his body burned
or
Appear in a single scene where he Wargs into a wolf which then acts with greater intelligence guided by Jon, but Kit is gone forever after
or
Is miraculously healed and stays in the Nights Watch
or
Is killed and rises thanks to Melisandre, is free of the Watch and heads south to play a bigger role
or
Is killed and raised by a White Walker to join or perhaps even lead the army of the undead
or
Appears in flashbacks

WTF is spoiled by talking about the *POSSIBILITY* that he's in the new season and speculating about what capacity they'll be using him in?

Last edited:

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
At what point does the "book-reader spoiler thread" become the "NO-SPOILER" thread with constant vigilance of preventing the show watchers from spoiling the plot for people reading the books?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
So, this isn't a book spoiler. There is speculation that the Hound lived and gave up being the Hound. Essentially, a priest claims the Hound is alive and there is an oddly large priest, that is never fully described. The idea that "the Hound" is dead but Sandor is alive is fairly common.

I was just joking, as them casting a priest (who may confirm or deny) the Hound lives!

And, for the most part, everything outside of the Iron Isles is caught up (and some parts even part, like Stannis) with the books. The issue is, the Iron Isles stuff was awful. It was pointless and garbage. It offered nothing to the overall story.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
It's my understand nothing from the books can't spoil the show directly because the show is 100% caught up to the books. Is that not true?

So, when someone implies that a major assumed-dead character could return calling himself "The Priest," while making it clear that knowledge of this name comes from the books, I am "overreacting" to think it might be a spoiler? We know that there's a lot which has not been covered from the books. They admitted such in their conversation.

So, this isn't a book spoiler. There is speculation that the Hound lived and gave up being the Hound. Essentially, a priest claims the Hound is alive and there is an oddly large priest, that is never fully described. The idea that "the Hound" is dead but Sandor is alive is fairly common.

I was just joking, as them casting a priest (who may confirm or deny) the Hound lives!

And, for the most part, everything outside of the Iron Isles is caught up (and some parts even part, like Stannis) with the books. The issue is, the Iron Isles stuff was awful. It was pointless and garbage. It offered nothing to the overall story.

Where (in what medium) did this "priest" we've never heard of make this claim? I've only seen discussion about Sandor/The Hound being dead or alive and none about him shedding his "Hound" persona. It sounds almost like someone got some indication that he was alive from somewhere that wasn't the show.

This is why it's so hard for the book readers to avoid spoilers when discussing the TV show: they don't have enough perspective to determine when something is a spoiler and when it is not.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
So, when someone implies that a major assumed-dead character could return calling himself "The Priest," while making it clear that knowledge of this name comes from the books, I am "overreacting" to think it might be a spoiler? We know that there's a lot which has not been covered from the books. They admitted such in their conversation.

Where (in what medium) did this "priest" we've never heard of make this claim? I've only seen discussion about Sandor/The Hound being dead or alive and none about him shedding his "Hound" persona. It sounds almost like someone got some indication that he was alive from somewhere that wasn't the show.

This is why it's so hard for the book readers to avoid spoilers when discussing the TV show: they don't have enough perspective to determine when something is a spoiler and when it is not.
Dude, stop being a bitch. Just stop. The showbiz spoiling the books too.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
How can I spoil something nobody knows? It is a fucking theory. It isn't a spoiler. Guess what? There is another theory that Jon isn't dead! Another that Jon's father is Rhaegar Targaryen!

I never said he would be the priest! I was remaking on the casting of a rugged warrior priest (not the Hound) and said the Hound lives!

If you think anything I've said is a spoiler, too bad. Deal with it. Whine about it maybe too.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
How can I spoil something nobody knows? It is a fucking theory. It isn't a spoiler. Guess what? There is another theory that Jon isn't dead! Another that Jon's father is Rhaegar Targaryen!

I never said he would be the priest! I was remaking on the casting of a rugged warrior priest (not the Hound) and said the Hound lives!

If you think anything I've said is a spoiler, too bad. Deal with it. Whine about it maybe too.

Easy: by discussing other spoilers that you ASSUME they know.

Where did you hear of this "priest?" Hmm? The existence of this character is not theory or speculation based on what has aired. Here we discuss what has aired (in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS) and this character has not been referenced to my knowledge.

I should not know that there is a character known as "the Priest" who claims that The Hound is alive. Even if he's not, that's TWO spoilers:
A character who pretends to know the fate of The Hound
That even in cannon, The Hound's fate is in question (in anything else, that's as good as confirmation that something is happening with the "dead" character)
Dude, stop being a bitch. Just stop. The showbiz spoiling the books too.

So don't discuss either. Avoid the showbiz news. This thread is supposed to be for discussion of what has aired, which includes our own speculation based on what has aired. That's pretty simple.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Easy: by discussing other spoilers that you ASSUME they know.

Where did you hear of this "priest?" Hmm? The existence of this character is not theory or speculation based on what has aired. Here we discuss what has aired (in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS) and this character has not been referenced to my knowledge.

I should not know that there is a character known as "the Priest" who claims that The Hound is alive. Even if he's not, that's TWO spoilers:
A character who pretends to know the fate of The Hound
That even in cannon, The Hound's fate is in question (in anything else, that's as good as confirmation that something is happening with the "dead" character)

So don't discuss either. Avoid the showbiz news. This thread is supposed to be for discussion of what has aired, which includes our own speculation based on what has aired. That's pretty simple.

There is, and was posted a long time ago, about a casting call for a priest. AND, he doesn't claim the Hound is alive. It is a fucking theory. The priest says the Hound is dead.

Oh, and GRRM called, Syrio is dead.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

What page in the books does it discuss a casting call for a priest on the show?