Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 474 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nexus5rocks

Mar 12, 2014

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I forgot to mention Sunday that I love the way some of the CGI Dothraki horses are running faster than they are traveling. :D

It just looks... BAD.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Casual view here (again). Can you help me answer some questions?

* Cersei's downfall & imprisonment: It's not the merit of religion that caused this. It's always someone or some group that's puppeteering. So who's pulling the strings for her downfall? Is it really the religious group- the main guy who interrogates her? (wtf are they called again). At the end of Cersei's walk of shame, who were those two men that received her? Is it them? Or has it yet to be revealed?

* Dragons: The entire series, Danys boasted about reclaiming the Iron Throne even with 3 dragons alone. This was especially emphasized repeatedly in earlier seasons. Drogon was weak as hell- it could barely handle a handful of men, rather than companies of armies. Are they gonna get bigger/stronger? Drogo looked pretty 'adult' despite its size.

* Stannis: How anticlimiatic was his death? He seemed calculating and at least somewhat smart. I was bit disappointed to see him die in such a stupid way. Why did he overextend, only to get slaughtered? He existed for many seasons and his death seemed out of character.

They better not bring back Jon Snow. That would be utterly stupid and cartoonish. GoT's strength was that it always focused on politics and human drama, and only utilized fantasy element to compliment the story.

Last edited:

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I hope Snow comes back as dead, and kills that old white bearded fucker. And that kid. And everyone else who stabbed him. He was right in doing that, and they're all going to pay now.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Seems like this isn't new but I'd expect Bran to worg a dragon against the snowwalkers - Dany's inability to control the dragons suggests that could come in very handy.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

* Cersei's downfall & imprisonment: It's not the merit of religion that caused this. It's always someone or some group that's puppeteering. So who's pulling the strings for her downfall? Is it really the religious group- the main guy who interrogates her? (wtf are they called again). At the end of Cersei's walk of shame, who were those two men that received her? Is it them? Or has it yet to be revealed?

* Dragons: The entire series, Danys boasted about reclaiming the Iron Throne even with 3 dragons alone. This was especially emphasized repeatedly in earlier seasons. Drogon was weak as hell- it could barely handle a handful of men, rather than companies of armies. Are they gonna get bigger/stronger? Drogo looked pretty 'adult' despite its size.

* Stannis: How anticlimiatic was his death? He seemed calculating and at least somewhat smart. I was bit disappointed to see him die in such a stupid way. Why did he overextend, only to get slaughtered? He existed for many seasons and his death seemed out of character.

They better not bring back Jon Snow. That would be utterly stupid and cartoonish. GoT's strength was that it always focused on politics and human drama, and only utilized fantasy element to compliment the story.
Pretty sure Cersei ultimately did it to herself. They pointed out that she was playing with fire and wasn't as smart as she thought she was. She herself pointed out that "power is power" and then she stupidly gave the Sparrows power.

I think people are misinterpreting Drogon's actions as weakness because his defensive posture made him appear more vulnerable and affected by the attackers than he would have been otherwise. He wasn't down there just getting hurt. He was letting them hurt him so Danny would know that he wanted her to get on. They never would have had a chance if he were just flying around roasting everyone.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

I believe they have already said the dragons will be massive next season.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
* Cersei was originally the puppeteer. But her plans backfired.

* Somewhat of a spoiler, but it's been stated a lot already: Dragons are gonna double in size.

* Fuck Stannis, he's gone.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

1) Cersei did not properly understand the High Sparrow. She was used to dealing with religious people who were greedy and motivated solely by their own power. She elevated the guy and gave him more influence so that he could take down Margaery thinking that he would then turn into another of her puppets. She didn't expect him to be a true zealot. The two men who received her were Qyburn and zombie Gregor. They are her puppets and likely will be the instruments of her revenge.

2) The dragons are still babies. Baelerion the Black Dread was supposedly longer than a football field.

Dragon-Size-Chart.jpg

3) Stannis was calculating and smart, but over the course of the series he became more and more under the influence of Melisandre and the supposed power of the God of Light. He assumed that after sacrificing his daughter that he'd be invincible and he was wrong.

And Jon will almost certainly be back. He'll either get raised bt Melisandre, or Warg into his wolf and then back into another human body or something else. Theability to raise dead is not cartoonish or out of place in GOT. Thoros has already done it, Melisandre serves the same god and she's conveniently present where Jon's body is.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

The high Sparrow is pulling the strings, he's appears to be a true believer. The faith of the seven has two type of priests, septons (male) and septas (female). The most prominant male is called the high septon. The sparrows are a faction within the group, their leader, the high sparrow, took control of the church with the help of Cersei and the forming of the faith militant.

Seems like the dragons are still growing, but they aren't consistent in how powerful they are. Previously Drogon wiped out a large number of people by himself just fine (when they got the unsullied in Astapor). Now a couple guys with spears is dangerous.

Stannis was a believer in the lord of light, Melissandre guaranteed him a win. In his mind it was go all in or die. With the guarantee he thought he would win. I'm betting he's smart enough to know he was going to lose if he wasn't blinded by faith.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006

Stannis felt that he no longer had a choice. He had already spent so much and gotten so far. He was probably still hopeful that the visions from Melissandra were true as well.

He was genuinely surprised though at the end from a strategic standpoint - he always thought that the Boltons were going to hole up in their castle and withstand a siege. Why wouldn't they? It's what any wise commander would do.

In a previous episode Roose Bolton admonished Ramsey for wanting to take the initiative, saying that a wise commander does not go out to meet an enemy head-on in the open when he has the safety of walls, months' worth of food stores, and a bitter winter outside that can wear down the enemy for them.

Stannis knew that any ordinary commander would play it like this, so based on this sound logic of traditional military tactics, Stannis continued to march forward after the mass desertion, and even gave the command to start setting up infrastructure for the oncoming siege when they came into sight of the castle. That's when they were rushed by the entire force of Bolton on cavalry, which surprised everybody.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

* Cersei's downfall & imprisonment: It's not the merit of religion that caused this. It's always someone or some group that's puppeteering. So who's pulling the strings for her downfall? Is it really the religious group- the main guy who interrogates her? (wtf are they called again). At the end of Cersei's walk of shame, who were those two men that received her? Is it them? Or has it yet to be revealed?.

if anyone can be accused of pulling the strings, it's probably Littlefinger and Oleana.

Littlefinger said he knew someone Oleana would be interested in, and next thing you know, Lancel Lannister is testifying against Cersei.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Seems like the dragons are still growing, but they aren't consistent in how powerful they are. Previously Drogon wiped out a large number of people by himself just fine (when they got the unsullied in Astapor). Now a couple guys with spears is dangerous.

Nobody attacked the dragons in Astapor. The slave Masters were so confident of the Unsullied training that they were unarmed other than the whips they used. When Dany turned the tables and had the Unsullied kill the Masters the whole thing was over in seconds. Drogon burned the head slave Master and set fire to a few things around the town, nothing else. He would have been even more vulnerable to a mass spear attack at that time as he was smaller and weaker, but the Masters were not able to go after Drogon.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Nobody attacked the dragons in Astapor. The slave Masters were so confident of the Unsullied training that they were unarmed other than the whips they used. When Dany turned the tables and had the Unsullied kill the Masters the whole thing was over in seconds. Drogon burned the head slave Master and set fire to a few things around the town, nothing else. He would have been even more vulnerable to a mass spear attack at that time as he was smaller and weaker, but the Masters were not able to go after Drogon.

If Drogon flamed everyone from a strafing run instead of facing them head on he could have done the same, no? He landed, I expected him to be able to handle them down there too, otherwise why land?

It's just that he went from being able to take out dozens of people at ease to not being able to handle them, just because they have spears?

If that's the case, he was stupid for landing. Just flame away on strafing runs. Hell, Dany was encircled. He could have taken out 1/3rd with one arc.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
If Drogon flamed everyone from a strafing run instead of facing them head on he could have done the same, no? He landed, I expected him to be able to handle them down there too, otherwise why land?

It's just that he went from being able to take out dozens of people at ease to not being able to handle them, just because they have spears?

If that's the case, he was stupid for landing. Just flame away on strafing runs. Hell, Dany was encircled. He could have taken out 1/3rd with one arc.

well, yeah... but we're not talking LotR-intelligent dragons, and he's really had no combat training (his primary enemies up till now have been sheep and random kids roaming the mountainsides)

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
This is my take on what will happen to Dany and the Dothrakis.

Firstly, she took off the ring which was a good move. She is a pretty woman and I am sure the Dothraki leader will take liking to her.

Her intended Husband is dead so she is FREE to pick a new one.

The Dothraki leader will want to test her (remember when she ate that Horse heart for Drogo?) but she is use to their ways and she has been there and done that concerning their culture. She will keep her past experiences and knowledge secret. The Dothraki leader will be amazed that she is a fast learner and love her even more.

She and the leader will marry thus creating a bond between her Army and the Dothrakis.

Either that or she gets raped and executed and her story line is over.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
holy fuck, I hope they don't spend half the next season with Dany reintegrating with the Dothrakis... I was just starting to get interested in her story when they paired her up with Tyrion, instead of FF'ing through it all.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
holy fuck, I hope they don't spend half the next season with Dany reintegrating with the Dothrakis... I was just starting to get interested in her story when they paired her up with Tyrion, instead of FF'ing through it all.

Yeah, if she basically does the Drogo storyline again, i'll be pissed

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
really, really hoping they speed up Dany's storyline next season. I'm not sure I can take a whole season of her continuing to fuck around in Mareen, especially while Dragonstone is now wide open (and, as Stannis mentioned way back when, it's a city built on a volcano that just happens to be filled with dragonglass)

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
If the Dothraki know/find out who she is then presumably they will try to send her to Vaes Dothrak (the Dothraki city). The widows of fallen Kahls live there.

[not a book spoiler]it is mentioned in season 1 and the viewers guide[/not a book spoiler].

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
really, really hoping they speed up Dany's storyline next season. I'm not sure I can take a whole season of her continuing to fuck around in Mareen, especially while Dragonstone is now wide open (and, as Stannis mentioned way back when, it's a city built on a volcano that just happens to be filled with dragonglass)

Agreed. Dany's stuff has been pretty insufferable, aside from a few good spots. They finally get Tyrion there to make things awesome, then they just split them up again.

KT