Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 473 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I think that most fan theories go out the window if Jon Snow is really dead, forever. He's also the only likable character in the show with the right skills to command men and temperament to govern a kingdom. Kill Dany, hook up Jon and Tyrion with command of Dany's armies, conquer the north, and take the south.

Basically, this means GRRM will kill him and shit on his corpse.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
just poor ol' Gendry :(

presumably, the Crown will give Dragonstone and Storm's End to another family like they gave the North to the Boltons.

What do you want to make a bet that Littlefinger will be there making the case why it should be given to him.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Is Olly now more hated than Joffrey? I would think so--at least Joffrey was entertaining.

Seems that way. I can't really blame Olly. He's a kid who saw his parents killed by the same people Jon is now working with. He doesn't understand the bigger picture and he really only got information on one side of the story, from the other mutineers.

I think that in the real world, it would be a pretty big controversy. Imagine if we built a huge wall between the US and Mexico, Mexico invaded and killed everyone in southern Texas, and then the President told everyone we're letting them through because Brazil is slowly conquering everything in its way towards America. You think everybody would just go along with him?

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I think that most fan theories go out the window if Jon Snow is really dead, forever. He's also the only likable character in the show with the right skills to command men and temperament to govern a kingdom. Kill Dany, hook up Jon and Tyrion with command of Dany's armies, conquer the north, and take the south.

Basically, this means GRRM will kill him and shit on his corpse.

I'm wondering if that's one reason the show has diverged almost completely from the books, so GRRM can modify it on the fly when people think they've got it figured out. :p

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Seems that way. I can't really blame Olly. He's a kid who saw his parents killed by the same people Jon is now working with. He doesn't understand the bigger picture and he really only got information on one side of the story, from the other mutineers.

I think that in the real world, it would be a pretty big controversy. Imagine if we built a huge wall between the US and Mexico, Mexico invaded and killed everyone in southern Texas, and then the President told everyone we're letting them through because Brazil is slowly conquering everything in its way towards America. You think everybody would just go along with him?

Thing is it wouldn't be "slowly conquering everything in its way towards America". It would be "they're 50 miles from the border". Looking at the Map, to get to Hardhome they're practically at Craster's keep.
http://quartermaester.info/

Last edited:

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Bah, i keep having this feeling the best of this show is behind us now. All that's left is for the Dragons to fight the white walkers...yay

Maybe im just pissed they killed off Jon Snow

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Is Olly now more hated than Joffrey? I would think so--at least Joffrey was entertaining.

Joffrey was a twisted sociopath, so he had an excuse.

Olly's only excuse is that his parents got killed. Boo freakin hoo. Join everyone else on the show.

With any luck Ramsay will raid Castle Black and kidnap him and turn him into Reek II now that Theon is gone.

Feb 6, 2007
Bah, i keep having this feeling the best of this show is behind us now. All that's left is for the Dragons to fight the white walkers...yay

Maybe im just pissed they killed off Jon Snow

All the interesting characters are either on the wrong continent or dead. By which I mean Arya and Tyrion. There are still lots of people around, I just don't care about any of them. Reek and Sansa? Who gives a shit. Brienne and Pod? Meh. Littlefinger? No. Melisandre? Get the fuck out. Bronn used to be interesting, but the Dorne story was just pointless. The Boltons, the Lannisters, King's Landing, Castle Black... I couldn't give less than a shit about any of it. Arya and Tyrion are basically all I care about beyond ice zombies and dragons, and one of them just got blinded. So I agree, it feels like the glory days are in the rear view.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
All the interesting characters are either on the wrong continent or dead. By which I mean Arya and Tyrion. There are still lots of people around, I just don't care about any of them. Reek and Sansa? Who gives a shit. Brienne and Pod? Meh. Littlefinger? No. Melisandre? Get the fuck out. Bronn used to be interesting, but the Dorne story was just pointless. The Boltons, the Lannisters, King's Landing, Castle Black... I couldn't give less than a shit about any of it. Arya and Tyrion are basically all I care about beyond ice zombies and dragons, and one of them just got blinded. So I agree, it feels like the glory days are in the rear view.

Well when it comes to arya I think its possible she leaves the faceless men and returns to settle scores.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Okay, so Stannis is definitely dead, as I thought. Why didn't they show Brienne lopping his head off, then? :confused:

They showed Arya's execution of Meryn Trant, which was fucking brutal, but they couldn't show Stannis dying?

Apparently they thought it would be gratuitous given the brutality of the rest of the episode. I wonder if these writers remember what show they're writing for lol.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Apparently they thought it would be gratuitous given the brutality of the rest of the episode. I wonder if these writers remember what show they're writing for lol.

I seem to recall the explanation being something like, "We felt that Stannis already had a band enough day at that point, so no reason to add to it. You pretty much understand what happened."

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

I bet a couple of the characters who appear dead/out aren't. Too many loops to close at once. Not one loop was permanently closed, even though the assumption is they won't make it past whatever event in that episode.

Arya isn't out of the game because she's blind. It's temporary or she will get some other powers that makes her a blind bad ass. Something will happen that allows her to continue.

Theon/Sansa aren't dead, survived the fall.

Jon gets revived.

Stannis was given mercy when he said "do your duty", Brienne somehow didn't think it was her duty to kill him, instead it was personal so she didn't.

Cersei will recover and get power again.

Margaery and or Loras survive prison/trial.

Dany isn't captured.

Pick two of those and you're probably right, with the obvious conclusion holding for the rest.

Feb 6, 2007
I bet a couple of the characters who appear dead/out aren't. Too many loops to close at once. Not one loop was permanently closed, even though the assumption is they won't make it past whatever event in that episode.

Arya isn't out of the game because she's blind. It's temporary or she will get some other powers that makes her a blind bad ass. Something will happen that allows her to continue.

Jon gets revived.

Stannis was given mercy when he said "do your duty", Brienne somehow didn't think it was her duty to kill him, instead it was personal so she didn't.

Dany isn't captured.

Pick two of those and you're probably right, with the obvious conclusion holding for the rest.

You must have only read as far as the first sentence in my post, so I'll try to make my position clearer: I only care about Arya and Tyrion. I realize there are dozens of other characters and plotlines going on. I personally have lost interest in every single one of them. I care about exactly four things: Arya, Tyrion, White Walkers, and Dragons. Everyone you listed? I do not give a single solitary shit. I don't care about Theon or Sansa or Jon or Stannis or Brienne or Cersei or Margaery or Loras or Daenerys. I used to. I've lost interest.

Actually, I think I've figured out what it is. This show is at its absolute best when it takes two people who don't really belong together and puts them in an awkward pairing, generally involving travel. Jaime and Brienne. Arya and The Hound. Bronn and Tyrion. Jon and Ygritte (and the other wildlings). Arya and Tywin. Or scenes where there's two people matching wits, like Tywin and Tyrion, or Tywin and Olenna, or Tywin and Oberyn; really anyone trying to match wits with Tywin was pretty awesome. But the pairings this season have been shit. Brienne and Pod? Dull. Littlefinger and Sansa? Promising, but Sansa is still too prim. Tyrion and Verys? Lasted for 15 seconds. Tyrion and Jorah? Lasted for 12 seconds. Tyrion and Dany was promising, but we got basically one episode out of it before she disappears. Cersei and the High Sparrow is just uncomfortable. Ramsay and ANYONE is uncomfortable. Jon and Tormund was legitimately awesome, but they've been split up and one of them is likely dead. Jaime and Bronn had so much promise and it was wasted on Dorne, which is legitimately the worst storyline the show has ever had. Without the unexpected magic delivered by those unlikely pairings, the show has stumbled, and it seems like the people who are sticking around are dull and involved in uninteresting stories.

So, yeah, I was a bit disappointed in Season 5. Which is to say I still think GoT is one of the absolute greats. But Season 5 was the first time when I can really sit back and say "this isn't as good as it used to be."

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Actually, I think I've figured out what it is. This show is at its absolute best when it takes two people who don't really belong together and puts them in an awkward pairing, generally involving travel.

You might have hit the nail on the head and why some of this season was seen as "filler" even though it was pushing the story along. It just wasn't doing it the way previous seasons were. Either way I certainly missed the pairing this season.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I kinda understand Olly though, he saw his family slaughtered by the wildlings and he's still just a kid, he can't process complex thoughts.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

Jon gets revived.

Dany isn't captured.

More than 2

Arya is not going to be out of the game. The blindness is probably a temporary penance, she'll atone and training while blind will make her even more deadly

Sansa and Theon are definitely alive.

Jon will almost surely live on.

Cersei will recover her power. The walk of shame is just going to harden her and make her more ruthless. And now that she has zombie Gregor her enemies are going to get crushed.

Dany is captured. But there's an army of Unsullied and 2 dragons out there, so her prospects of rescue are pretty damn good.

As for the rest:

Stannis is definitely dead. As soon as he sacrificed his daughter it was over. For how broken he was at that point, death was the mercy.

Margaery and Loras I can't even guess. Cersei wants Margaery out of the way, but Olenna is rich, powerful, smart, ruthless and is feeding King's Landing. She's not going to let things stand, something big has to happen on that early next season.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Have they lied before?
The actor playing Jon Snow said the people on the show, not sure if it was producers, writers, whatever - but anyway, he said that they told him to go home, his part was over.

But we're pretty sure that's bullshit since when asked a question at a convention about Jon being dead, Martin said something like 'oh, so you think he's dead do you?' But I guess that could also be a head fake. I don't know what his record/reputation is like for such things.

Personally, I think Bran is going to play a major role next season. Since the WW's use magic to raise the dead, you need someone else with more powerful magic to combat them. Last season it looked like they were setting Bran up to be such a person. Presumably he spent this entire season preparing and will be ready for a trial run in season 6. They can't have him come out a fully formed wizard w/o some story to back that up and I think that will be a big part of season 6.

The other possibility is that they can scrap together enough dragon glass and wild fire to set most of the North ablaze and carpet bomb/arrow huge swaths of land. But I don't see that being very likely. I think both are going to be elements of important battles but I really believe that magic is the ultimate solution.