Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 472 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I keep hearing mentioning of resurrections. Though the only person really resurrected was the Mountain but he was never really dead. Either John Snow survives is is dead.
They already mentioned The Hound's resurrected victim, but did you forget about the wights? Zombies, man. Zombies.

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
Speaking of irrational, how on Earth did Jon Snow and the Wildlings end up on the wrong side of the wall at Castle Black when they left Hardhome on boats? Did they sail down to Eastwatch, abandon their boats and walk along the wrong side of the wall for a few hundred miles, all while assuming the army of the undead is hot on their heels? Do you think anyone was like "ummm, can we just go another 10 miles south and put the wall between us and the White Walkers before we head for Castle Black?"
Lol, I didn't even think about this. I'm still behind with the books (starting book 4), hopefully it's explained better there, assuming it's in the books in the first place.

One other thing makes me wonder - if they were to kill Jon because of making piece with wildlings, why not do it *before* he brought like a thousand of them to the south side of the wall. What's even their plan - why would wildlings want to continue the fragile peace treaty when Night Watch clearly expressed their feelings about it by killing Jon. Without Stannis to help, there's 50 of them, and a lot more wildlings. And they said Castle Black wasn't designed to be defended from the south. That giant alone could take like half of the NW.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
In the vein of killing White Walkers, I hope Brienne remembered to pick up Stannis's sword and I hope no one loses track of Jon's.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
In the vein of killing White Walkers, I hope Brienne remembered to pick up Stannis's sword and I hope no one loses track of Jon's.

Stannis' sword may or may not have magic properties, but would Brienne have any way of knowing that? presumably Melisandre could always make another one, and Brienne herself already has a Valeryian steel blade (one of the two forged from Ned Stark's greatsword by Tywin)

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I don't recall. Does Stannis have a Valyrian Steel sword?

I thought that whole pulling of the sword out of statue when they were burning the old seven Gods on the beach was to show that Stannis's sword was Lightbringer, even if it wasn't, I assumed it had to be Valyrian steel to even suggest it was that sword.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I don't recall. Does Stannis have a Valyrian Steel sword?

he doesn't, but his sword was "blessed" (for lack of a better word) by Melisandre and the Lord of Light... I don't recall that it's ever exhibited any magic powers, though.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Only a small mutineer party was shown. It was nowhere close to a majority of the watch. Had Alliser Thorne tried to deny Jon's order there's a good chance someone else who still supported Jon enough to not support mutiny would have overridden him. Then Thorne would have been killed.

There's also a risk that if Jon and the wildlings couldn't get in through the gates they could make it back to their ships and sail around the wall. With the help of the wildlings Jon would have been able to easily retake Castle Black from the other side.

Yep. They would've thrown Alliser off the wall had he tried to keep the gate shut. But after the nights watch saw masses of wildlings being let through, their mood probably changed and Alliser gained more supporters.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
he doesn't, but his sword was "blessed" (for lack of a better word) by Melisandre and the Lord of Light... I don't recall that it's ever exhibited any magic powers, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1OpEwhEMdc
Above is the scene about the sword. Melisandre told everyone there that Stannis was the 'warrior of light' foretold in the ancient books who would pull the sword lightbringer out of the fire. The red comet was an additional auspicious event.

Lightbringer had to be magic given its special name and the weapon of the 'warrior of light'. But Stannis didn't treat it like something special, he left it on the beach for Davos to collect. And it didn't look anything special from the battles scenes he was in (to my knowledge).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1OpEwhEMdc
Above is the scene about the sword. Melisandre told everyone there that Stannis was the 'warrior of light' foretold in the ancient books who would pull the sword lightbringer out of the fire. The red comet was an additional auspicious event.

Lightbringer had to be magic given its special name and the weapon of the 'warrior of light'. But Stannis didn't treat it like something special, he left it on the beach for Davos to collect. And it didn't look anything special from the battles scenes he was in (to my knowledge).

I forgot that conversation at the end of the scene. cool stuff.

the parlor tricks with the sword...funny stuff.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Damn, killing Jon was not cool. I think the show is overdoing the "good guys die too" - I'm running out of characters I care about and seriously losing interest in the show. >1/2 of the current story lines left is stuff I don't give a s*it about.

Like the white walkers, I thought there was some rivalry rising when that dude raised the dead looking at Jon. Right now I don't even care what happens there. Without Jon, Aemon and Sam, Night Watch can DIAF, I have more sympathies for the wildlings. Baratheon is down, Boltons, Freys, ironborn, I wouldn't mind seeing them all wiped out. Tullys and the Vale, no one cares. Dorne subplot is really boring and those sand sisters are annoying. King's Landing has been pissing me off this season - the high sparrow has people on his side. 4 seasons depict the depravity of the city, crime and brothels galore, all kinds of atrocities around during the war of the kings. And these same people are suddenly pious and deeply spiritual, yeah, sure... On one side there's one the main villains (Cersei), on the other side religious zealots - they can all massacre each other for all I care.

Altogether, pretty much the only character in Westeros I care about now is Samwell. In the spirit of the show, I expect he'll be killed off on the way to Oldtown... I've never cared about Bran side of the story - too much fantasy there. Maybe Brienne and Sansa are of minor interest too, perhaps Davos, and that's about it for Westeros.

Arya's story line has become a bit slow this season. I'm not digging this many-faced god lore, doesn't make much sense to me.
Tyrion's plot is also a bit boring, although I like the Tyrion - Varys dynamics now that Varys has reappeared. I've never been a fan of Daenerys' story line, although it has some good parts now and then (like Missandei's boobs scene).

In summary: Sam, Tyrion&Varys, Arya, and that's about it. And the last two have been somewhat dull this season to me.
I'll still be watching next season too, but this is the first time I won't be eagerly awaiting it.

I'm going to be pretty amazed if Jon doesn't survive in some way. I'm like 95% sure it'll happen. At least. There's just so much narrative buildup that would be lost with so little to replace it. We can say that a "good" story doesn't need to be bound by the rules of what's compelling and satisfying, but I think we all know that's not really true, and we also know that GoT has for the most part follow this. Jon being offed for good would be nothing like the other shocking deaths of major characters, that pruned a storyline but arguably opened more doors than they closed. There's also been a ton of foreshadowing that supports a revival by Melisandre.

It's so obvious that it doesn't really work as a twist either, but that's okay because it doesn't really have to. The way I see it, it's more of a striking step to push Jon's character and much of the plot in general to the next level.

I'm not going to say that you should be as confident about this as I am but I'd definitely say that you should entertain the possibility before writing off the future of the show with the character dead.

Last edited:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

Neither did Jon's until he whacked Frosty with it.

Either way Brienne already has Valyrian steel so she has no use for another sword unless she wants to give it to Pod.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003

Either way Brienne already has Valyrian steel so she has no use for another sword unless she wants to give it to Pod.

Maybe Pod is the real "Warrior of Light"??? Haha
Brienne has been training him for a sword after all.

Last edited:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

I mean, Stannis' sword "could" be valyrian steel, but it's never been referred to as such if it is.

none of the Baratheon family weapons are on-record as being valyrian steel (not counting the sword Tywin gave Joffrey on his wedding day)

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

(unlikely) last chapter in GoT:
Pod w/Stannis sword helps John snow fight the white walkers.
he marrys Sansa. The starks have winterfell/North again.

Pod also sits on the iron throne w/Brienne as his kingsguard, and aria as his blind ninja assassin.
tyrion as his hand, and varys back as the master whisperer.

Dany decides to stay in Mareen and rule that side of the world.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Jon being offed for good would be nothing like the other shocking deaths of major characters, that pruned a storyline but arguably opened more doors than they closed. There's also been a ton of foreshadowing that supports a revival by Melisandre.

But at the same time we are nearing the end, or at least well past the halfway mark, of the story and it is time to start ending plotlines. Is there any doubt that Stannis' plotline is over? It could be that Jon did what his plotline needed by letting the freefolk past the wall.

In the end there can only be one winner of the Game of Thrones, my guess is that everyone else is going to die.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
But at the same time we are nearing the end, or at least well past the halfway mark, of the story and it is time to start ending plotlines. Is there any doubt that Stannis' plotline is over? It could be that Jon did what his plotline needed by letting the freefolk past the wall.

In the end there can only be one winner of the Game of Thrones, my guess is that everyone else is going to die.

so you think the writers going to make Alliser the new focal point for the Wall?
or onion knight's going to kill him and he becomes Lord Commander since he has no Lord to go back to.

hm.. and whats going to happen to Dragonstone and Reny's castle?
the bratheleon family tree is dead.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

All hail His Grace, Hodor of House Hodor, First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm!

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
All hail His Grace, Hodor of House Hodor, First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm!

Don't you mean, "Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor, Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor, Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor, Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor, Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor, Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor!"

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Don't you mean, "Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor, Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor, Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor, Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor, Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor, Hodor Hodor Hodor Hodor!"

I don't think he'd announce himself.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
so you think the writers going to make Alliser the new focal point for the Wall?
or onion knight's going to kill him and he becomes Lord Commander since he has no Lord to go back to.

hm.. and whats going to happen to Dragonstone and Reny's castle?
the bratheleon family tree is dead.

just poor ol' Gendry :(

presumably, the Crown will give Dragonstone and Storm's End to another family like they gave the North to the Boltons.