Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 462 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
So basically Cronos, you want a thread without any world history context, because thats all a book reader can offer now.

Do we get to mention anything on the DVDs? Because there is a ton of that stuff on there, and in casual conversations of the characters, non dialogued visuals on the show, from dress to customs to architecture...

BTW, thats not a real question. Your point us invalid. I have read the books and there is nothing I can spoil for you aside from the minor character i mentioned before (and I wont). You come off as just wanting to keep people out of the thread arbitrarily. Like two siblings not getting along. Its juvenile.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Wtf after wtf...my head exploded

Anybody watch the walk of Cersei think it looked similar to the depiction of Jesus carrying the cross in some movies? Looked earily similar iirc

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007

Anybody watch the walk of Cersei think it looked similar to the depiction of Jesus carrying the cross in some movies? Looked earily similar iirc

lighting and focus and the pov seemed like an homage to Last Temptation of Christ. I wonder who the DP was in this ep.

Was looking for a Dany gonna get raped meme with the dothraki horde around her but I cant find one yet. DAMNIT INTERNET DELIVER

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
That episode just had too many things to tell and wrap-up (or intentionally left as cliffhangers) for one hour, which is why everything seems extremely rushed and fast paced. Except maybe for Cersei's walk of shame, which is about 3 minutes too long, give or take. I understand that they wanted to emphasize the magnitude of this humiliation for Cersei, but we all knew that even after the first 20 seconds of her being paraded around naked with spit and crap being thrown her way, that as soon as she gets back she'll make every single one of them pay for this. She's going to go berserk. It's not going to be pretty.

Too many (unnecessary) cliffhangers for my taste. I get that they want to at lest put a one 'are they or are they not dead' type of thing at the end of a season, and Jon Snow is probably fine for that, but we were shown others that really don't need to be. Most people probably will think Sansa/Theon = okay and Stannis = dead anyway.

I also thought that the horse riders are Dothraki, but unclear of how they're in the wilderness (aren't they more of a desert type warriors?). Is this a different clan than Khal Drogo's? And therefore would they be friendly towards Dany? What was the significance of her slipping off the ring when she saw them? She just didn't want them to know who she is? Looks like they know anyway. So many questions.

Tyrion and Varys leading Meereen is pretty awesome, I think. Those two should have a spin-off 30-minute comedy series that runs in the off season, telling the stories of their shenanigans.

What a heartbreaking scene when Miscella told Jamie that she always knew, and she's glad. Awwww... of course we all knew what would happen after such a sweet moment in this show.

Anyway, it's a little bit of up and down, this season. We did get the three better episodes of the show to end the season (which include what's potentially the greatest episode of GoT in episode 8), but most of the Dorne stuff are really bad and because it's what some people were *really* expecting to see before this season started, then some may see it as a bit of a disappointment. Personally, I'm okay with it. It could be better, but I was entertained. A lot.

Oh, but fuck Olly.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
She's also full of tattoos everywhere.

It's probably a combination of both her semi nude and a body double with some smart CGI editing.

It was clearly CGI overlay, there was one part is was very noticeable, or scenes cutting from head only to body only. It's the only way, as you mentioned, the tats.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
So basically Cronos, you want a thread without any world history context, because thats all a book reader can offer now.

Do we get to mention anything on the DVDs? Because there is a ton of that stuff on there, and in casual conversations of the characters, non dialogued visuals on the show, from dress to customs to architecture...

BTW, thats not a real question. Your point us invalid. I have read the books and there is nothing I can spoil for you aside from the minor character i mentioned before (and I wont). You come off as just wanting to keep people out of the thread arbitrarily. Like two siblings not getting along. Its juvenile.

This is not what I *personally* want, but a collective want from the show watchers. Did you not read the posts? And *I* don't want to keep people out of the thread. Everyone is welcome, just don't say anything (or bragging, like what some people did last year) related to the book that's 'different from the show'.

About your question, it's actually quite straight forward. As long as the media is related to the show explicitly (produced/written/sponsored by the show runners), then it's fair game. DVDs may have extra information that's not shown, but they're fine because they're clearly based on the show. On the other hand, merged/deleted characters are not fine.

Honestly, after what happened last season I started to read the books, and soon I realized that it's going to be impossible for me to enjoy the show (and contribute here) if I had read it before. There's so many details that are changed, that may or may not (which is a key) be important in the main story line. So I stopped reading and decided to stick to the show only.

This is the story thrives on twists and turns, and extra bits of information here and there that is not meant to be revealed by the show runners early on, would spoil the enjoyment for a pure show watchers if spoiled. This is basically what we're trying really hard to protect here (and failing, apparently).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
By the way, did everyone pick up on who that was carrying cersei? Felt like it should have been obvious, but it didn't trigger much response.

I thought it was pretty obvious, the mountain having been zombied by that maester dude at the end of last season, and 2 or 3 brief scenes this season.

People here were talking about the mountain potentially showing up this episode and killing a bunch of cultists.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

it persists because there is a history of book folks coming in here and spoiling the shit out of everything, and not giving a dick. The problem is that it either isn't always clear what can be a spoiler--just because it happened at some earlier time in the book, never happened in the show, doesn't mean it isn't still a big issue in the show at some time.

Is the book thread filled with book people that refuse to watch the show and don't want any discussion of show events? If not, then I see no reason why those discussions can't easily be had over there.

The rules laid out here are really quite simple.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I also thought that the horse riders are Dothraki, but unclear of how they're in the wilderness (aren't they more of a desert type warriors?). Is this a different clan than Khal Drogo's? And therefore would they be friendly towards Dany? What was the significance of her slipping off the ring when she saw them? She just didn't want them to know who she is? Looks like they know anyway. So many questions.

they're plains/grasslands tribes, not desert. I assume based on the Mongols and Huns, who came from the Eastern European plains.

800px-Dothraki_Sea2_HBO.jpg

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

It's an overdone trope that you see in all types of literature, film, art whatever. It was designed to be this way.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
they're plains/grasslands tribes, not desert. I assume based on the Mongols and Huns, who came from the Eastern European plains.

Gotcha. I remembered now that Dany were leading them through the desert to get to that first city and they were having a hard time as well. So clearly that's not their native environment.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
I was trying to remember if that was Drogos ring, or one she got from Hizdahr Zo Lorak. Anyone know? Either one would make sense.

The dothraki roam a wide expanse of Essos. Spoiler zomg! Ruined it!

Non-snarky answer - some context you may have missed from the show. Check out the map for the Dothraki sea. Its friggen huge. Covers much if the continent, inlcuding areas near Slavers Bay, where Mereen is. Some of you would call this spoiler material. I dont think so.

gameofthronesmap.jpg

Now Dany is Darth Vader? That kinda stuff would be. And I wouldnt do that. I really couldn't anymore anyway. Theres one big fan theory plus a few smaller ones like it, but I avoid those on here as well. I think maybe a few if you have run across those elsewhere and are scared. I get that.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's Drogo's ring. They would probably enslave or kill her if they found her with it. (This was also verified by Benioff/Wiess in the after show bit about that scene)

The Dothraki are basically one large hoard, right? So that should be the riders that abandoned Drogo's corpse and Daeanaazrys way back in season 1?

I guess that dragon took her for bit of a ride, as I recall the Dothraki abandoned the plan to take ships across the sea when Drogo died; so no reason they should be on the same continent as Mereen.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Meh. I am getting tired of GoT. So many plot lines. Some re-visited in a season, some not. At the pace we're going, HBO will string out this gravy train for another 10 seasons as people like us throw money at them to do it.

Stanis is beheaded / dead.
Sansa and Reek jumped into snow drift. They are fine.
Lord of Light Lady will use Jon's blood for something...I actually half expected his eyes to glow blue at the end.
Cersei will have her revenge on EVERYONE!

Last edited:

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
So you actually think Brienne was chopping the tree down when she was swinging in the direction of Stannis's head with that blow?

If she didn't change her position before swinging her sword she would've hit the tree. But I doubt the writers wanted to hint that Stannis is still alive and possibly being dragged back to KL so Brienne can earn a knighthood.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
It's Drogo's ring. They would probably enslave or kill her if they found her with it. (This was also verified by Benioff/Wiess in the after show bit about that scene)

The Dothraki are basically one large hoard, right? So that should be the riders that abandoned Drogo's corpse and Daeanaazrys way back in season 1?

I guess that dragon took her for bit of a ride, as I recall the Dothraki abandoned the plan to take ships across the sea when Drogo died; so no reason they should be on the same continent as Mereen.

I think they're basically a multitude of roaming bands led by various Khals... shared customs and language, but no overarching leader who unites the tribes.

(Mereen and the Dothraki Sea are in the same continent, though... I can't think of anything other than the Iron Islands that isn't physically on the Westeros or Essos continents)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Eh? She never left Essos. Mereen is in Essos.

Dany hasn't really moved all that far from where she started. And looking at the maps, Mereen is right next to "The Dothraki sea"

oh right--the boats they were going to take were to cross the sea back to Westeros, with the Dothraki. When that plan blew up, she continued on Essos to invade some other cities. The boats she acquired in season 2 and 3 were to sail further down Essos. derp :p

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
I think they're basically a multitude of roaming bands led by various Khals... shared customs and language, but no overarching leader who unites the tribes.)

That's right, though Drogo had united a bunch of clans. Basically, anyone who could pull it off would be Ghengis Khan.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
If Melisandre planned the whole thing to get Stannis killed and his army destroyed, she looked dismayed when they were told that half of Stannis's army had deserted before the battle. It looked as if she genuinely thought Stannis was going to win.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You had to introduce a second possibility that makes a certain outcome less of a surprise if you are right by telling us about a character we aren't even supposed to know about. Screw you. The rule is simple. GTFO

Characters have been merged in the past already -- as recently as Sansa in Winterfell. You shouldn't call someone an idiot just because you're mad that you didn't consider a possibility that has already occurred in the series. Consolidation has always been a part of Game of Thrones, and it's usually a part of any book-to-visual adaptation. But don't worry... there's always next time.

...and what character from the book did I tell you about? Can you name them? Oh, that's right... I made it purposefully vague as not to introduce anything to a person that only watches the show. To be honest, I only know about this character through an article on omitted characters that people want to see the most in the show.

EDIT:

If Melisandre planned the whole thing to get Stannis killed and his army destroyed, she looked dismayed when they were told that half of Stannis's army had deserted before the battle. It looked as if she genuinely thought Stannis was going to win.

Her change in demeanor seemed really fast though. She talked about the banners falling, and all of a sudden just realized, "Oh crap...". My only guess is that her soothsaying is really just her interpretation of the visions, and maybe she just assumed that the banners falling would be from Stannis's attack. The only thing that she said was that the banners were falling and she was walking along the walls of Winterfel.

Last edited: