Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 456 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
http://www.newyorker.com/culture/sarah-larson/an-open-letter-to-the-white-walker-army

"I admit that you got me when you killed all those wildlings, let them lie around for a minute, and then conjured them up again, like a yoga instructor post-Namaste, while staring menacingly at poor Jon Snow as he fled in his little rowboat. That was effective. Scary stuff. But I’m not interested in what you’re up to; your evil doesn’t matter. I’ll never hate you like I hated King Joffrey "

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
It was mentioned that it's not for lack of trying... Mrs Stannis was only able to have one child, and a deformed one at that.

I assume Stannis is too honor-bound to chuck her and get a new wife.

She wasn't born that way. She got the contagious dragonscale disease, and Stannis spared no expense to cure it (which basically just stopped the progression and it seems she's no longer contagious).

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It was mentioned that it's not for lack of trying... Mrs Stannis was only able to have one child, and a deformed one at that.

I assume Stannis is too honor-bound to chuck her and get a new wife.

Mistresses are not at all out of line for this story.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
The problem is not what people are asking but what you are posting. Feel free to post in the other spoiler thread if you can't remember or are unsure about posting spoilers.

You really need to take yoga, eat a valium. or drink a beer.

No one has been spoiling anything and you're just raging for no reason.

Your theories about things in the past are very wrong also, but I wasn't even going to bring it up until you continued doing raging posts.

Last edited:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
You really need to take yoga, eat a valium. or drink a beer.

No one has been spoiling anything and you're just raging for no reason.

Your theories about things in the past are very wrong also, but I wasn't even going to bring it up till you continued doing raging posts.

in fairness, one poster did spoil probably the last major event that happens in the book that hasn't yet happened in the show (discounting various plot threads that aren't a part of the tv series)... fortunately, the post was deleted.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
in fairness, one poster did spoil probably the last major event that happens in the book that hasn't yet happened in the show (discounting various plot threads that aren't a part of the tv series)... fortunately, the post was deleted.

Yeah, I did see that one.

It was in poor taste, but it wasn't someone he mentioned in other posts and didn't even start at all till someone else brought a mod in.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
The problem is not what people are asking but what you are posting. Feel free to post in the other spoiler thread if you can't remember or are unsure about posting spoilers.

People sometimes want further detail that isn't covered in the show and most of the time it wouldn't affect a person's "future enjoyment of the book when they eventually read it".

There is simply so much story and detail in the books that people often do have to refer back to them as a reminder. Hell, people have forgotten details from past seasons and then when they were brought up again someone accused someone else of posting book spoilers over information given in the show.

The recent question did refer to the book and could have been answered directly in this thread (and actually was in a round about way a few posts before the question was broached) without raising an eyebrow except from the individuals with the perpetual baseball bat stuck in their 4th point of contact who rage at the mere mention of the word book.

A way was found to answer it without causing people to have strokes.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
"People sometimes want further detail that isn't covered in the show"

And there's a risk for those who don't it WILL reduce enjoyment, hence 'no spoilers'.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
"People sometimes want further detail that isn't covered in the show"

And there's a risk for those who don't it WILL reduce enjoyment, hence 'no spoilers'.

If they want a question answered about something then it already happened and not all detail about it would spoil the show....

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If they want a question answered about something then it already happened and not all detail about it would spoil the show

I can't tell what you're saying. If it didn't happen in the show, don't spoil it. All that belongs in the thread: the show and speculation based on nothing but what's in the show.

Is there some room for some things not to be spoilers? Yes.

If the books added some history that isn't in the show and doesn't affect the plot, if the book made a different choice or described something nicely differently than in the show, it's not necessarily a spoiler - "the book said that when Tyrion Lannister was a boy, his first sexual relations were with a farm animal". "The book said that her breasts were even larger than we saw in the show". Not really spoilers.

But do I trust the comments to not be spoilers? No, so I'd rather err against them.

And really, I can even find it distracting to hear other versions, if I'm enjoying the way the show is doing it.

Mar 10, 2005
I love this TV Series very much, thanks OP!:biggrin:

6e25ee4ad029db34174a16f2d71b8592.jpg

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Is there some room for some things not to be spoilers? Yes.

If the books added some history that isn't in the show and doesn't affect the plot, if the book made a different choice or described something nicely differently than in the show, it's not necessarily a spoiler - "the book said that when Tyrion Lannister was a boy, his first sexual relations were with a farm animal". "The book said that her breasts were even larger than we saw in the show". Not really spoilers.

Something was asked specifically about something that happened in the show and if that detail was the same in the
books
. Not to worry.

I've adopted a policy of answering such questions with a PM that answers the question very specifically with as little plot detail as possible.

And will provide information about commonly held fantasy "lore" that applies to the subject of the question when the author,
G.R.R Martin who shall not be named for fear of angering the entitled ones
, of the
books
seems to be following it.

Last edited: